Author Topic: How did you discover the chrono series?  (Read 5133 times)

Beeyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: How did you discover the chrono series?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 10:36:11 am »
     I don't remember being all into rpgs at the time( 1995 , I was eight ), I had Final Fantasy , but my NES was a POS, so I never got past Garland. But nintendo power had a preview of CT, and I wanted it SO BAD for some reason. Maybe cuz I loved DBZ and the art style is the same.                    Anyway,I hustled up the bread and bought  it from FuncoLand(65 freakin bucks!!!) and I've been in love with it ever since.
    By the way, Nightmare? I don't know how old you are now, but YOU NEED TO BEAT THAT GAME ALREADY. C'mon, it has like 13 endings. 

cronopolis

• Porrean (+50)
  • Time travel.....pretty confusing isn't it
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 03:52:44 pm »
I know this is alittle off topic, but I was taken by surprise when I started a new game on CT, and after I teleported at Lucca's demonstration, I saw something shiny on the ground, tried picking it up, and was teleported all alone to fight LAVOS :shock:...WITH NO ESCAPE!!  I managed to defeat lavos in it's entirety and got the dream team ending....really, strange :lol:

Korro

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Does a time egg hatch a time bird?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2007, 09:05:36 pm »
I wonder if a magical forum fairy makes my threads long?

Rutt

• Iokan (+1)
  • Raspberry in a Glass
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 09:51:11 pm »
Mhh, I honestly don't really remember. I always wanted to play CT because everyone talked about it and said it was great. So I played it and immediantly thought it was awesome.
Later then I bought CC. Both games still have a special place in my heart.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2009, 09:50:54 pm »
One...two...three...NECROMANCY.

I discovered the series in early 2005 but I didn't actually play the game until 2007.  One of my friends had a SNES emulator and said he wanted to show me Chrono Trigger, which was a game he had loved when he was a kid.  I watched him up until Manoria Cathedral, where he got stuck.  XD  Apparently he didn't know you had to hit all of the skulls to open the secret passage??  (I should also let you know that, while this was a game he loved as a kid, he never finished it.)

Despite only seeing a wee bit of the game, I was captivated.  It was the opening sequence that did it.  Even before the game started, I was blown away.  Of course, I had no idea what anything meant, but I wanted to find out really badly.  The song was epic, the scenes were enchanting, and there was just the right mixture of "Wow, that looks awesome!" ("Floating continents!"  "Holy shit, that is the most badass castle ever!") and "WTF??!!" ("Was that a rainbow FROG that just jumped on the enemies???")

I never got a chance to play it after my friend showed me the game, but I did download the theme song when I got my own computer a year later.  Uh...I mean...I totally and completely legally bought the song.  :roll:

My next Chrono dosage was two years after I first became aware of CT, in January 2007.  A friend had installed ZSNES on my computer so that I could play my beloved LttP (and other SNES games) whenever I wanted to.  I had just started dating this handsome gentleman named D, who (upon learning that I had ZSNES) asked if I had ever played his favourite game of all time--Chrono Trigger.  I told him I knew about the game but hadn't played it and he was shocked.  He first played it when he was 12 in 1998 and had beaten it multiple times.

He then proceeded to play through the entire game for me.  One of my favourite things to do in the entire world is watch people play video games.  I've seen D play through so many.  It's one of my "awesome date" scenarios.  I know I'm the ideal gamer girlfriend.  XD XD XD

I know the screen is blurry as all hell, but that's D livin' it up in 2300 AD on my clunky old computer.  Beginning of true love right there!  And um, that's...silver Sharpie on my keyboard.  :oops:

And the rest is history.  If you thought I was hooked simply watching the opening, well then...you have no idea how giddy I was watching D play through the game.  He didn't give me any spoilers, so there was many a "WHAAAT ARE THEY SERIOUS AHHH" moment.

Although...he DID set me up to like Magus.  Very early on I asked him who his favourite character was, and he said it was someone you recruited later in the game who used a different kind of magic than anyone else and who was a complete badass.  Upon deciding whether or not to kill Magus, I practically shouted "NO DON'T KILL HIM!"  I've always had a soft spot for him.  His castle has always been my favourite part of the game.  The creepy music is awesome.

D finished the game, and then I started playing right away.  I didn't play Cross until this summer, using a New Game + from a finished game of D's from waaaaay back when.  It's been almost three years after he first urged me to play the game and we're still a giggling pair of Chrono nerds.  I love it.

So you can thank Magus' Castle, Frog Squash, and D for my presence here.  ;)

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57:44 am »
huzzah a thread zombie!
i dont really remember when i first played it. i think that i had zsnes and was just kind of bored so i got a bunch of roms. ff6, ct, a few fighters, a few puzzles, nothing special. oddly, i cant get into ff6 but ct just drew me in. i was getting kind of bored around prehistory.
until ayla.
yeah im an ayla fanboy. its like... woah. its all quiet mostly until the cavewoman attacks everything.
that was the first time in my life that i squealed like a fangirl.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 02:00:09 pm »
I had a neighbor that often let us borrow games for the SNES and was just majorly cool to us(this was a 30 year old man, but back then we didn't have to worry about predators as much as we do today). Well, one of the games he let us borrow was Chrono Trigger, which he said we could keep until we beat it.

Now bear in mind, I was 5 at the time, which would've made my brothers 9 and 12 respectively, so it took us about a year to beat Lavos' final form. Never got to play New Game + until my family got our first computer around the year 2000, and found out about ZSNES and ROMs in general. For the next three or so years, I played CT until I got sick(interspersed with Chrono Cross sometime around 2001-2002). When I got my DS this past Christmas, I also got a copy of CT:DS, which I replayed until I filled up the gallery.

Then of course, I found out about hacking ROMs, Crimson Echoes and the Compendium.

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 07:28:33 pm »
I discovered the Chrono series by watching my cousin playing it.
I become interested in the series. And once I heard that it would be coming to the DS, I decided to buy it, and the rest is history.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 09:09:11 pm »
One of my favourite things to do in the entire world is watch people play video games.  I've seen D play through so many.  It's one of my "awesome date" scenarios.  I know I'm the ideal gamer girlfriend.  XD XD XD

So the CnD on Crimson Echoes really didn't mean all that much to you, then, eh? You still got to have your fun!

RoxSilverFox

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Hey, do you think we should go get some pies?
    • View Profile
    • Silver Fox Games
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 09:48:12 am »
Well, it's a boring story but here goes, back in the old days, let us say ten years back, I was on the computer going through my brother's SNES emulators and clicked on Chrono Trigger to give it a whirl, let's say I sucked at it (I was six for crying out loud, gimme a break). Anyway a few years later my eldest brother found a SNES emulator for the Dreamcast (Yeah we had one) anyway among the games I found Chrono Trigger, which I remembered from the said 'old days' Then I played it again, done better than when I was six I might add. I've been hooked on Chrono Trigger ever since. Even got it on mah DS! *awesomeguitarsolo*

A few years after playing Chrono Trigger, I tried to run Chrono Cross as an emulator on Mac OS X, Windows XP and my PSP... They all met with failure  :cry:

Ah well...

Zipp Dementia

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2009, 06:35:55 pm »
My friend rented the game when it first came out in the states.  I had played FF4 already and was acquainted with RPGs through that and Secret of Mana, but Chrono Trigger was the first game I'd played with such an active story and, at the time, seemed a mixture of FF4 and Mana's battle systems.  Also, the world was undeniably vibrant and the music was incredible.  I still remember going out later that week with my Mom to Toys R' Us to buy the cartridge.  Those days, you had to bring this tag up to this little window and then they'd give you the game box and what not.

After that, I played it about once a year for about ten years.  By now I know pretty much everything there is to know about the series.  Though I've never actually played Radical Dreamers.