Author Topic: Chrono Cross Turns TEN!!  (Read 184895 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Chrono Cross Turns TEN!!
« on: November 18, 2009, 03:51:33 am »
It's November 18, and this marks the 10th anniversary of the release of Chrono Cross in Japan! We were impatient for the 10th North American anniversary, so let's get the festivities started right now! We've got about two months worth of backlogged material to update, as well as some late-breaking stuff, such as the serendipitous completion of the Chrono Cross Spanish translation. The first stop for any celebrators should be the Chrono Cross 10th Birthday page, and the Recollections link therein! Now, let's get to the news...

[CROSS][1]  Chrono Cross is now in Spanish! Chrono Traducciones has completed their full translation, once again thanks to the translation tools pioneered by yazoo and Nemesis from the Terminus group. Saddle your ISOs and head over to Chrono Traduccions to get the release!  [2]  Julford recently attended Youmacon in Detroit, which held a full Chrono Cross photo-op. This inspired a lot of fantastic cosplaying, and Trevor returned with a bounty of photographic evidence! Check it out; you have to see some of the more unusual characters like Macha and Mojoy (or as some prefer, Luckydan)! Many, many thanks to Julford! [ Doc - Fargo - Group - Group - Harle - Janice - Kid - Leena - Lucca - Macha - Mel - Mojoy - Mojoy - Nikki - Razzly - Riddel - Schala - Serge ]  [3]  Radical Pan has completed a retranslation of Chrono Cross's song titles, which you can find here. At some point in the future, CT and CC's song names will be standardized across the Compendium and the SPC, PSF, and 2SF releases.  [4]  utunnels notice two more map differences from the Chrono Cross demo. The Hydra Marshes entrance area has a small waterfall in the left in the demo, while the Shadow Forest main tree has a few different details. Compare at Hydra Marshes and Shadow Forest.  [5]  RoxSilverFox has submitted a drawing of Kid based on her demo portrait (seen here) specifically for the 10th anniversary! See it here!

[WINTER'S FRAGMENTS]  Winter's Fragments, the Compendium's annual fanfic contest, begins early today! Submissions are open until February 28, 2010 elapses. The subject is the Ideal Timeline after Chrono Cross resolves. What's the world like now that Serge has unified the dimensions and Schala is free? What are the characters up to, and do any remember the past journey? Feel free to explore any of these possibilities! The contest headquarters is this board. Yes, we still have a board despite the fact that the entries are supposed to be anonymous. E-mail work faustwolf (ät) yahoo.com. Good luck!

[TRIGGER][1]  DJ Nerd42 had completed the much-anticipated Chrono Tied, a mashup of CT songs and vocals from Fort Minor, Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park's hip-hop side project. Nerd42 has done much justice to the time-honored tradition of CT mashups with this! Check it out here, and stop by in the feedback thread here!  [2]  Lorenz and a passing visitor named Kyo have provided translations for the two alpha version screenshots of Chrono Trigger found in EGM. Check Supporting Material Translation, up at the top! Many thanks!  [3]  LionheartAce and a few others alerted the Compendium that Chrono Trigger popped up in Heroes again. Future Hiro mentions that his love is the MJ to his Spiderman, and Past Hiro retorts with "The Marle to my Crono!" Unfortunately, he pronounced Marle "Mar-lee", adding fuel to that awful pronunciation debate :(

[COMMUNITY][1]  Chrono Trigger Unglued 19 is out! View it here or, if you'd like to vote it up on Newgrounds, click here.  [2]  Keep your eyes open on Neo-Fusion's Newgrounds page for CT Apocalypse V, due out soon. For now, you can at least watch the first four episodes, and check on progress here!  [3]  Musa stopped by to let us know that La Fin des Temps, the first comprehensive French Chrono site, is online and updating. It's safe to say that there now exists an English-French-Japanese axis of comprehensive sites (the Compendium, La Fin des Temps, and Chrono Center). Good luck building the community! And if Redcow from Chrono Center is reading this, hello!  [4]  Lance VII has posted a video update on his RPGMaker project Chrono Alter. Check it out here! He's shooting for a late late 09 or early 2010 release.

[FAN ART]  All right! Sajainta started things off with a painting of Magus and Schala, seen here. Ema kept it rolling with this Crono Pokémon Card and a paper maché Nu . deserver is continuing to make great custom sprites of CT-inspired characters at this thread; his latest is Atlas, inspired by Robo. mistressofcows recently completed a piece depicting Prince Crono in 1005 A.D. See it here; it came with the inscription, "And be on thy guard against the good and the just! They would fain crucify those who devise their own virtue - they hate the lonesome ones." She also did this version of Lucca, as well as a Queen Marle piece. Thanks to The Secret Skeleton for submitting! Rounding things out again is the excellent, enthralling, epic re-telling of Chrono Trigger drawn in comic form by mysticalpha. There are three new pieces to enjoy! The second should probably have some kind of NSFW tag, but what do we care? [ Slurp Strip - Well Endowed - Perverts ] Oh right, the submissions forum...we've got two new Chrono Panda pieces! [ Stolen Items - Gate Key Not Up Here ] RubyDragoon submitted a mock-up of Schala on the CT status screen; see it here.

[FAN FICTION]  JforJayson got things started after the last update with his version of Chrono Break; read his idea here. Thought meanwhile finished his work Chrono Pause, now ready for viewing! No site update would be complete without an update from the Princess, who is no doubt the pre-eminent Chrono fanfic writer of our age. His next work is out—Chrono TRIGGER: Time Keeps on Slipping 2. Next, alfadorredux finished more work on Chrono Helix, this time wrapping up early game optional dialogue; check it out here. Last but not least, GenesisOne has posted an updated CT screenplay here, as well as an update for The Real World: CT. [hidden]

I totally lucked into finding Century Gothic while trying to match the font for "THE CLOCK RESTARTS". And now, for the really important part of this update:

[/hidden]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:38:17 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Turns TEN!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:49:47 am »
No one could have convinced me that in less than two months, we'd have enough material for another mega update. It's amazing how much material this community covers despite the franchise's death and the relatively small size of the Compendium.

Oh, yeah; this reminds me...in the early days, I used to accompany Compendium announcements of releases (like the CE demo, or CT 10th birthday) at other forums with a ton of links to content, like remixes, art, other projects, etc. Lord J affectionately dubbed it the free shit wagon.

Well, it's back.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:16:37 am »
I was always on the "Mar-lee" band wagon, so its so very gratifying to hear that.

Nerd42

• Earthbound (+15)
  • And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!
    • View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42 - Chrono Tied
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:29:01 am »
My wiki site seems to have been experiencing alot of downtime ... giving people an "Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /home/editthis/www/editthis.info/extensions/mysql.php on line 19
Could not connect" error.

Could whoever runs chronofan.com help host the files and a page for Chrono Tied?? http://nerd42.net/ is on a free host - and you never know how long those are going to last.

I have about 150 MB of bonus content (FLAC versions of the original instrumentals, as in ones that weren't from The Chrono Trigger Mixtape) that I'm also gonna release soon, so this may require about 230 MB in total (giving myself about 20 MB for a web page)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:31:43 am by Nerd42 »

Julford

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:35:39 pm »
I don't know anything about hosting stuff, but I went ahead and put Chrono Tied up on MegaUpload as an alternative download.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XX5UQPWL

Really great work! I'll admit the only song I know from Ft. Minor is Remember the Name, and you did really well with that! None of the songs come off as really jarring or oddly paced, which is definately a good thing!

Azure

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 01:58:28 pm »
Holy shit, I never realized my birthday was the same as Chrono Cross Japan...  Sweet! 8)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 02:36:15 pm »
Thought meanwhile finished his work Chrono Pause, but it's not on the fan fiction page yet as some tweaking will be done in the near future.

The Future is NOW!

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,8239.0.html

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:11:00 pm »
Chrono Cross, yer ten years old today! It's been bloody good knowing ya, mate.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 04:32:11 pm »
Just another 10 (+1) years and we'll be able to take Chrono Cross out and get it drunk. And just 15 more until Chrono Cross will be voting for Lavos to be president. Ah, memories.

The Princess

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 04:36:42 pm »

how tals butt ?rotat  how fox get aerborn

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 04:54:03 pm »

At least they're not like Disney, who releases sequels at least 40 years after the original.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 08:23:23 pm »
Re Release Trigger
Re Release Cross
Release Break
Boom, game set!

I thought we'd be going with the American one!  Darn, my big contribution wasn't set in time. Sorry! Oh well. I suppose this just means next year, Chrono altogether's 15th anniversary I'm going to have a ridiculous amount to contribute!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »
Holy shit, I never realized my birthday was the same as Chrono Cross Japan...  Sweet! 8)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:37:15 pm »
ZeaLitY and others who worked on it and contributed, fantastic job with the 10th anniversary feature page! I feel bad for not lifting a finger to help with that, heheh. :oops:

CEMemorial is at 239,000 views and counting. We'll see what happens first: a million views for the memorial or Square Enix announcing the continuation of the series. Hm hm hmmm...

Anyone else find it hilarious that the Chrono Brake trademark expires in 2012? If we can just keep the world from ending, fans can hijack the series officially! Er, maybe.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:42:46 pm by FaustWolf »

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »
ZeaLitY and others who worked on it and contributed, fantastic job with the 10th anniversary feature page! I feel bad for not lifting a finger to help with that, heheh. :oops:

CEMemorial is at 239,000 views and counting. We'll see what happens first: a million views for the memorial or Square Enix announcing the continuation of the series. Hm hm hmmm...

Anyone else find it hilarious that the Chrono Brake trademark expires in 2012? If we can just keep the world from ending, fans can hijack the series officially! Er, maybe.

I believe the world won't end, it'll be a normal day and secondly, if the world would end, it should be Lavos erupting out of the earth. Not some giant Tidal Wave, Meteor, or whatever. Also, Chrono Brake sounds very interesting and we only have two years and two months till expiration. But the question is, just what can they put in next for the Chrono series? If Time and Space can be done already, perhaps anti matter?