Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 98629 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #990 on: December 14, 2011, 03:11:46 am »
People consistently pronounce my last name as "Man jizz".  It is not pronounced "Man jizz".  It does not even look like "Man jizz".
I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I know I shouldn't be, but that made me laugh. XDDD

Aww, man, poor people and their pronunciation follies! Sometimes you gotta feel bad for the people who mispronounce so badly, wondering if they've every been hit with a shoe.

Today's amusement: something for you Death Note fans.

[youtube]kaoy1QKxGQs[/youtube]

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:15:16 am by tushantin »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 14, 2011, 04:57:23 pm »
Quote from: tushantin
I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I know I shouldn't be, but that made me laugh. XDDD
I think it's unfortunate that our humor works this way; even disregarding the weird societal treatment of sexuality and bodily functions, this probably shares a root with whatever it is that makes other people laugh when you hit your funny bone. There's something about it that's always unsettled me, though I can't quite put a finger on what it is yet. I'm not sure how Sajainta takes it since this is in the Amusements thread and not the Frustration thread, but I've always found this a mortifying experience; a mispronunciation like that over a school loudspeaker, and that's an earthquake -- you'll never hear the end of it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:59:07 pm by FaustWolf »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #992 on: December 14, 2011, 11:18:48 pm »
Heh, the reason I found it funny was because my last name had a far more humiliating mispronunciations made by people. Bah, you learn to live with it sometimes. The problem gets worse, though, in the employment sectors where your name matters most. If your name is something the employers can't grasp, there's a good chance you won't get the job (or even if you do, you'll be treated weirdly).

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #993 on: December 15, 2011, 02:30:19 am »
I'm amused that I'm the only one who has mastered the Dvorak layout, not only in this forum but also probably in my whole city. For someone like me it's heavenly: I can finally flow with my thoughts easier now.

Also, it's a good basis for practical jokes and still seem innocent.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #994 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:44 am »
I went to college with a guy who used Dvorak. The first few times I need to type something on his computer resulted in brief confusion, followed by an "Oh, right." moment.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #995 on: December 15, 2011, 12:51:23 pm »
Hehe, no kidding there! But seeing that kinda expression from people virtually everytime is kinda fun. XD

My only woe is that most people don't realize how efficient Dvorak really is: It's far superior to QWERTY, and so much that even a dyslexic like me can manage it once you get the hang of it. It's pretty fluent, easier to type with, incredibly fast and you're at minimum risk at getting carpal tunnel syndrome.

Then again, being the first to try something new everytime makes me feel like a pioneer.  :D

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 15, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »
Anyone who doesn't understand how much more efficient Dvorak clearly doesn't know the history behind Qwerty. Qwerty keyboards are very well designed to their purpose, but that purpose is inefficiency (a necessity for old typewriters).

Personally, the main reason I haven't switched over is that I'm afraid. No one ever taught me how to type, and I didn't really teach myself either (well I did, but didn't). I learned simply because I love to write and do so much of it. After several years (or maybe just one or two) I realized that I could look up from the keyboard while typing. I just knew where the keys were. It's still a wonderful feeling, and now I can type at 90 wpm through my horrible, patchwork technique (my left hand does more than 50% of the work, and my right ring finger does almost nothing). Starting over is a daunting prospect.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 16, 2011, 02:53:47 pm »
It's my mom's birthday today. Just saying. It certainly fits the 'amusement' part.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #998 on: December 16, 2011, 03:12:49 pm »
It's my mom's birthday today. Just saying. It certainly fits the 'amusement' part.
That's a coincidence! It was my boss' birthday yesterday.  :D (By yesterday, I mean till an hour ago; it's already past midnight, meaning few hours earlier was "yesterday")

Personally, the main reason I haven't switched over is that I'm afraid. Starting over is a daunting prospect.
Now that's honesty right there, and I certainly feel ya. While learning Dvorak is generally easier than QWERTY, learning it after you've mastered the other is one hell of a... hell. That's because the human mind recognizes muscle-memory in state of position and patterns of movement, and overwriting a skill you've worked your ass off to obtain is like trying to walk with your hands. It's like convincing yourself that right is left, and going south leads you to Canada. It seemed like an eternity as I suffered through horrible typing, tempted to go back to QWERTY, but then I just screamed at myself "SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH, DAMMIT!" and plucked the keys out of my keyboard to torture myself further.

But that effort, pain and misery... it was all worthwhile. No matter how tough things get I always like to be the first one to try something new, to do the impossible. I just tried because I had nothing to lose (except for my job).

Of course, if you're able to get 90 wpm (HOLLY SHEEPS THAT'S FAST) on a layout you don't really have to change.  8) Capability matters.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:15:07 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #999 on: December 18, 2011, 02:44:31 pm »
Not sure if I should feel happy or scared.

1) My Islamic mentor / aunt is standing as an election candidate.

2) Her husband pulled a ZeaLitY while delivering the speech.

....sheeeeeit.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 18, 2011, 07:23:23 pm »
Also Tush, you got the thousandth reply. Congratulations.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 18, 2011, 09:03:53 pm »
So my dad was taking out coins from his wallet, and happens to find a 5 cents coin from 1936. :shock:

He doesn't even remember when it got there. Meanwhile, this was more fuel for my brother and I to tease him about his age. :lol:

Anyway, he thinks it may be because someone used it as change, but I doubt it. 5 cents coins are no longer used here, and even so, the last ones to be used were different from this one, as it's certainly different from the other 5 cent coins my brother has been collecting ever since they no longer were being used. And I really don't think someone today would think the coin would be valid for transactions. But who knows, it'd be quite funny if it turned out to be true. Still, it's quite a mystery... :o

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1002 on: December 19, 2011, 04:01:50 am »
Also Tush, you got the thousandth reply. Congratulations.
Ooh, didn't notice that. Thanks!

So my dad was taking out coins from his wallet, and happens to find a 5 cents coin from 1936. :shock:
Dude, you've hit gold. XD You can preserve that coin for a few years and sell it to the museums / collectors for thousands! The coin is no longer money: it's a priceless antique.

But if you're a collector yourself, congratulations! :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:03:57 am by tushantin »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 19, 2011, 02:34:10 pm »
Dude, you've hit gold. XD You can preserve that coin for a few years and sell it to the museums / collectors for thousands! The coin is no longer money: it's a priceless antique.

But if you're a collector yourself, congratulations! :D

Haha, thanks. :D

Actually, while it is not an actual hobby of ours, we do collect those old coins and bills we come across. This is why now that I think it further, that my dad may be right about the coin passing hands without knowing until it ended up in his wallet. He wouldn't have left it in his wallet and then forget about it considering we do collect them.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1004 on: December 21, 2011, 01:27:40 am »
Couldn't sleep all night... But HELL!

Oh, and this is amusing:

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:30:10 am by tushantin »