Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99194 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #915 on: November 15, 2011, 06:30:20 am »
In his accent and with his tones and inflections, that is perfect!!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #916 on: November 16, 2011, 10:07:07 am »
Everytime I talk to someone in person they seem amused with my speech. Now I'm not saying I'm the best speaker there is, because I do indeed stammer and need to make quite an effort to speak. But they say that whenever I speak my confidence comes in view naturally, (they did mention about... no, modesty keeps me from saying it) even though I'm probably one of those "most shy blokes" out there.

But what they're most amused by is my accent. I'm a Sindhi, but I don't have their accent. I was born in Bengal, but I don't have their accent either. I've lived most of my life among the Marathas, but I don't have their accents either. Neither the Islamic one despite having a Muslim mentor. Rather, being in the shadow of a childhood friend from overseas who lived in my neighborhood morphed the way I speak (his father was from Boston, always for sea voyages), then with some richer blokes who made frequent trips to Asia affected me, and then the frequent relatives from Australia who I spent my time with, and finally my good friends Harry and his family / friends from Scotland who's dialects weighed even more heavily than any one else. What helped was the fact that I usually spoke in English only with these folks; with the rest, I spoke in Hindi.

And everytime I speak with someone in English they're baffled; they either judge whether I have an American accent, or a European, or an Australian, or they just can't seem to make up their minds -- but the fact is, there still is plenty of Indian tint in the manner I speak. But it was today, when my friend (who's birthday we were celebrating) asked me about it that I finally admitted:

"Never in this world will you find a man who has an accent like mine."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:12:06 am by tushantin »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 16, 2011, 06:45:56 pm »
http://kotaku.com/5860125/in-which-the-chrono-trigger-crew-meet-a-true-time-traveler

Well, some of you may find this funny. Chrono Trigger + Doctor Who and, um... Yeah.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #918 on: November 17, 2011, 07:59:09 am »
http://kotaku.com/5860125/in-which-the-chrono-trigger-crew-meet-a-true-time-traveler

Well, some of you may find this funny. Chrono Trigger + Doctor Who and, um... Yeah.
I could say so much more... SO MUCH MORE... but spoilers, babeh.

But Doctor owning Sir Crono? The Judoon Platoon on the Moon refuse to believe that.

P.S.: There's your Doctor Who + Chrono Trigger, Bekkler.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 17, 2011, 02:09:40 pm »
My amusement of the day is that I am very deeply immersed in a huge project with hydra-like tentacles. To perform one task, I must move aside and complete another one first, and to complete that task, move aside and complete another...and on, and on. But because it's work that I love to do, I'm having a ball. Things are getting done. File folders are filling up.

But I'm nowhere near finishing that first task.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 17, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »

Hah.  That's pretty awesome.  My favourite part was Bill and Ted.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #921 on: November 17, 2011, 11:47:35 pm »
Finally came back from the early morning run! It was freezing! :shock: And I love it! Saw a lot of things. Wrote a lot of things. Weird, though, that the traffic becomes denser by half past six, and you only get a half hour to claim the morn as your own. Oh well, Springtime of Youth.

1) Horses. At the Race Course. Took my mind with storm, but that's another topic entirely.

2) I don't get why crows get such a bad rep. Hell, the only times I hear the word "Raven" is when someone's reciting Edgar Allan Poe's poetry or describing a story character's dark hair. Crows are my most favorite birds by far, and their skill of communication, surveillance, and timing are admirable. Plus, their wings are so sleek and stylish!

3) Dogs are quite like us. See several male stray dogs and they're always fighting like uncivilized slum-dwellers, but when they spot a well-groomed female house-dog, suddenly the male strays become "gentlemen" towards em. It's cute!

@Thought: Beware of the slum dogs, lest they steal the heart of your beloved Corgis!

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2011, 01:33:14 pm »
2) I don't get why crows get such a bad rep. Hell, the only times I hear the word "Raven" is when someone's reciting Edgar Allan Poe's poetry or describing a story character's dark hair. Crows are my most favorite birds by far, and their skill of communication, surveillance, and timing are admirable. Plus, their wings are so sleek and stylish!

Crows are awesome. There are a bajillion in the area I live in, and I never get tired of their silly CAWing. Sometimes there's a derpy crow who doesn't CAW so much as kweeehhhh~ehhh... <3 So cute!
I even have a  crow tengu costume! Basically this guy, but sized for a petite girl. :P

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2011, 02:21:35 pm »
Corvids are also among the smartest creatures alive, especially certain varieties. My favorite of all birds is the raven. I love to watch them prowl around daybreak and nightfall.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 18, 2011, 02:59:47 pm »
A double post here. I've been going through some old notes of mine, and there really are some gems. For instance, I wrote about "finally" discovering after much fruitless searching how to do a right-indent in Microsoft Word 2000. On that same note there was a boldfaced addendum, encouraging me, when I should re-discover how to do it, to write it down. =)

All writers should, on infrequent occasions, revisit their old notes.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #925 on: November 18, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »
I even have a  crow tengu costume! Basically this guy, but sized for a petite girl. :P
Ah, the Shinto deity/demon! XDDD You've got nice taste, though!

Me? I often keep finding myself with Kappa. But when sometimes I need to pick a bad-ass one, who better than the Shinto God of Storms, Susano-o?

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #926 on: November 18, 2011, 04:38:40 pm »
Ah, the Shinto deity/demon! XDDD You've got nice taste, though!

Me? I often keep finding myself with Kappa. But when sometimes I need to pick a bad-ass one, who better than the Shinto God of Storms, Susano-o?

Kappa are pretty dang cool, but not so easy to make a costume of, unless I wanted to shave the top of my head or carry a bowl of water around up there... The fact that their favorite foods are children and cucumbers is strangely endearing.

And of course Susano-o is a badass.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 18, 2011, 06:15:32 pm »
Here's a bit of trivia: The Supreme Court once ruled that tomatoes are vegetables. (Biologically, they are fruits.) That tidbit bubbled up from my memory when I read in the LA Times today that some folks in Congress are trying to get pizza declared as a vegetable, on the basis of the tomato sauce each slice contains, so that schools can continue to serve it for lunch. The bill passed, so I presume pizza is now a vegetable (or technically a "vegetable serving") for legal purposes.

Pizza didn't exist in school cafeterias when I was very young. It showed up in middle school, but I almost never had enough money to be able to buy it. It was a treat! I gather that it is more readily available to students today.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/11/congress-shows-an-appetite-for-pizza-.html

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 21, 2011, 06:36:08 pm »
Al Gore is his own Wikipedia portal...which I learned from the Atari Democrats page.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 21, 2011, 07:28:50 pm »
As many a fan of the SRT game series knows, whenever Gundam Wing appears in a game's cast, it's inevitable Heero Yui gets custom lines since his Seiyu is a fan of the games. But I must say that the latest game is taking it to ridiculous levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqBlGuj5AVA

Not that I mind... :lol: