Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99233 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #885 on: November 06, 2011, 01:48:15 am »
... insofar as we can allow "tea" to refer to any infusion of flavorful substances with water, it's quite possible to have tea without any sinensis in it.

I think I've mentioned it here before, but it is worth repeating. This is exactly why I like to call broth "meat tea"!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: November 06, 2011, 08:14:29 am »
Took me a couple days of practice, but I nailed it.

[youtube]BW2Czu58UbQ[/youtube]

It's sort of enthralling to watch...

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #887 on: November 06, 2011, 11:22:21 am »
Man, I love just watching music "go by" on Synthesia. It provides that visual dimension to music that I just love. Same thing for Guitar Hero, except that Synthesia is better because pianos are awesome.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 07, 2011, 02:21:05 pm »
Gasp, another "Dog Post?" Alas, yes. As has been indicated, my dog is a corgi, the smallest of the herding breeds (which are well suited for herding the largest cows too). Corgis aren't guard dogs persay, but all herding dogs have heightened guarding instincts. Which brings me to my amusement: when my dog hears an unusual loud noise, she goes into "Guard Puppy Mode." Her normally floppy ears (breed anathema, but they're cute) stand up straight, her chest poofs out, her posture is show quality, she eyes the direction of the sound with a look that can fry an egg at twenty paces (and melt your heart at ten), and lets out a very fwoofy bark. Sometimes it takes a few tries to convince her that it is okay and she doesn't need to bark, but even then, no matter what she was doing before, she'll come sit or lay by us and watches the direction the sound came from. Nothing's going to get the drop on HER!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #889 on: November 07, 2011, 02:32:24 pm »
Gasp, another "Dog Post?" Alas, yes. As has been indicated, my dog is a corgi, the smallest of the herding breeds (which are well suited for herding the largest cows too). Corgis aren't guard dogs persay, but all herding dogs have heightened guarding instincts. Which brings me to my amusement: when my dog hears an unusual loud noise, she goes into "Guard Puppy Mode." Her normally floppy ears (breed anathema, but they're cute) stand up straight, her chest poofs out, her posture is show quality, she eyes the direction of the sound with a look that can fry an egg at twenty paces (and melt your heart at ten), and lets out a very fwoofy bark. Sometimes it takes a few tries to convince her that it is okay and she doesn't need to bark, but even then, no matter what she was doing before, she'll come sit or lay by us and watches the direction the sound came from. Nothing's going to get the drop on HER!
Man, now THAT'S my kind of dog!  :D

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #890 on: November 07, 2011, 06:40:06 pm »
Her normally floppy ears (breed anathema, but they're cute) stand up straight, her chest poofs out, her posture is show quality, she eyes the direction of the sound with a look that can fry an egg at twenty paces (and melt your heart at ten), and lets out a very fwoofy bark.

This sounds adorable in my head. I wish my dog was that adorable, but he's liable to rip the feet off of anyone who comes close enough...
He's a complete softy when he's around my family, but any "strangers," including Red, are treated with extreme hostility...
/sigh

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 08, 2011, 04:17:09 am »
Earlier today I trimmed my fingernails, which I do anytime they start to clack on the keyboard. A little while ago I was brushing my hands and I realized my right pinky wasn't trimmed.

It reminds me of a morning long ago when my dad drove me to school. As we drove, he realized that he had put a wristwatch on both wrists that day.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #892 on: November 08, 2011, 04:31:41 am »
Hahaha, the people on the internet are so amusing! Granted, you'd find all kinds of people who'd take advantage of anonymity, such as White Supremacists, Angry Islams, Fundamentalist Religious, Abusive Anti-Theists, Sexists, and need I say, Racists. I've even witnessed aggressive battles between Indian surfers and Pakistani, did my best to resolve the battle, and then there are those beautiful people from both sides who brought the "Stop Hate, Bring Love" propaganda and ended wars by embracing each other -- not just on the net, but here in reality too. Sometimes they resolve it with poetry and art! It's an incredibly tear-jerking moment.

“This letter shows how much love there can be between the two countries if we could only learn to choose friendship over enmity and peace over war. We should tell people in India that we are willing to do so,” said Nosheen Sadiq, another Grammar School student.

But what's most amusing is the Western understanding of "Indians". While I've personally never received much racial spite from the awesome folks at America, Spain and other countries, every-time I say I'm an Indian, a pure Bharatiyan bred, most of the people from the west (with the exception of Europe) think that I either wear a Turban, talk like the stereotypical Indian store-owner guy in Simpsons, or look like this!

Yeah, it could be racial perception, but the source of misinformation is not the media itself, but the lack of information in the first place. You might think it probably infuriates us, but don't worry, it doesn't: when I discussed the matter with my friends, they simply rolled their eyes and laughed. And when someone comes up and asks us, "So you're Indian? You mean, like that Kwik-e Mart owner in Simpsons?" My friends would giggle as I type in, "Yes, like that Kwik-e Mart owner in Simpsons."

BTW, if you're wondering what I actually look like, well... somewhere along the lines of this guy:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 08, 2011, 06:02:59 pm »
Clockwork.
When you tell time with a cellphone, or a digital watch, you get the time and nothing else.
But when it is clockwork? Then you don't need the time, because it's always half-past awesome.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 08, 2011, 07:30:46 pm »
Clockwork.
When you tell time with a cellphone, or a digital watch, you get the time and nothing else.
But when it is clockwork? Then you don't need the time, because it's always half-past awesome.

Especially when combined with steam-power.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 09, 2011, 02:05:10 am »
I decided to watch the Prince of Persia movie because why not.  And I had absolutely no idea there were so many white people living in ancient Persia.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #896 on: November 09, 2011, 03:15:12 am »
I decided to watch the Prince of Persia movie because why not.  And I had absolutely no idea there were so many white people living in ancient Persia.
That was, I think, the only complaint who watched the movie. XD Of course, there's also: "Give me the dagger!"

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 09, 2011, 10:35:21 am »
I didn't hate the movie, but yes, it was extremely white-washed. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers were talking to the director:
P: Can't we just move the location to, like, L.A? I OWN THIS TOWN!!!!!!
D: Well, it's called Prince of Persia, which is a place.
P: ...
yeah?
D: ...A place that is not L.A.
P: ...
so?
D: People will notice. We're not moving it to L.A.
P: Fine, fine, we'll just film it there. Pass me more coke.   :twisted:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 09, 2011, 11:45:00 am »
I am not sure if I should be amused or frustrated, but I really really suck at recognizing when people aren't white.

The old cartoon, Gargoyles? I was surprised when they showed Elisa Maza's family and they were African American/Native American. I had no clue! I mean, even her last name is totally white.

<.<
>.>

Another example that is prominent in my mind is the character of Angela Montenegro (and thus, Michaela Conlin) in the TV series, Bones. During one episode my wife and I were talking and she mentioned that Conlin was Asian. Well, she asked what I thought Conlin was, then laughed, then told me. That of course led to the revelation that the other character, Dr. Camille Saroyan (Tamara Taylor) was black.

It happens surprisingly often, and I'm not sure if it is good or bad, but hopefully at the least it will amuse you.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #899 on: November 09, 2011, 06:50:13 pm »
I am not sure if I should be amused or frustrated, but I really really suck at recognizing when people aren't white.

They really, really suck at casting people who aren't white or near-white, though. In general, they stay away from the extreme ethnicity to avoid offending anyone. Avoid offending as many people as they possibly can. They kind of have to...because otherwise their show will be unpopular and get taken off the air...or they'll get sued or something...
There are obviously exceptions.