Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 98692 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #765 on: August 24, 2011, 02:56:43 pm »
But unlike any other revolution, we will not shed blood.

Except for every revolution Britain has had. :D

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #766 on: August 24, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »
But unlike any other revolution, we will not shed blood.

Except for every revolution Britain has had. :D
Truthordeal! How you doin!  :D

Eh... last I checked your account got hacked. Glad you're still with us.  :)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 26, 2011, 07:23:43 pm »
I'm getting into freelance writing and some of the feedback I've gotten from the companies is ridiculous (mostly in a funny way, as long as I don't think too long about it). For example, in an article I wrote about creating a fence, I had the sentence "Dig a hole for the posts." That was not acceptable because I didn't say how one should dig a hole. Reluctantly, I have released my arcane post hole digging secrets: "Dig a hole for the posts using a post hole digger." Now you have this dangerously redundant-sounding information also. Use it well.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 26, 2011, 11:28:45 pm »
I bet I know the name of the company you work for...

=/

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #769 on: August 27, 2011, 03:42:15 am »
My amusement for today:

I'm getting into freelance writing and some of the feedback I've gotten from the companies is ridiculous (mostly in a funny way, as long as I don't think too long about it). For example, in an article I wrote about creating a fence, I had the sentence "Dig a hole for the posts." That was not acceptable because I didn't say how one should dig a hole. Reluctantly, I have released my arcane post hole digging secrets: "Dig a hole for the posts using a post hole digger." Now you have this dangerously redundant-sounding information also. Use it well.

=/

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #770 on: August 27, 2011, 05:05:37 am »
What the F? I logged on to Twitter after such a long time and find my page filled with Sherlock Holmes, John Watson and Moriarty having a casual conversation. o_o"

And apparently John was hungry, but didn't order that chicken, thus it would most likely be poisoned.

....this... is... AWESOME! *fanboy scream*

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 27, 2011, 01:50:23 pm »

=/

That is actually quite encouraging. It that is sufficient for you to know which company I am currently writing for, that must mean that it is relatively unique in this regard, so when I expand my client base I will hopefully not run into this repeatedly. Huzzah!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:47 pm »
"Dig a hole for the posts" was a brilliant sentence IMO. It's difficult to come up with something short and snappy to vary sentence length sometimes, so a succinct six-word string can be precious!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #773 on: August 28, 2011, 04:28:41 pm »
Haha, now this is what I call magic!
Quote from: OMGUbuntu
So how does it work? The official site explains it thusly: -

“slowmoVideo tries to find out where pixels move in the video (this information is called Optical Flow), and then uses this information to calculate the additional frames. [It does this] …with curves that allow arbitrary time accelereation/deceleration/reversal.

I.e. it uses magic.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 29, 2011, 10:34:51 am »
Upperclassmen who constantly complain about how stupid, uninformed, loud, etc. freshmen are, forgetting that they, too, were once freshmen and did the exact same things.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 30, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »
For real. My friends used to do this all the time. You can't blame freshmen for coming out of high school. They'll get better! And in the meantime, their antics are amusing.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 31, 2011, 12:13:31 am »
I've been needing some cheering up, and I think singing sharks will always do the trick.

[youtube]iwX-f9qsiYE[/youtube]

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #777 on: August 31, 2011, 05:17:05 pm »
[youtube]_8VtIAbEv3k[/youtube]
So remember, kids, next time you meet someone please don't be an idiot and ask them how they are. Instead, grab them by the collar and scream, "ARE YOU IN YOUR SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH, TODAY?! Yes? Then let us rise up together and conquer the world!"

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #778 on: September 03, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
Being a Cafe Manager is a lot like being a parent (minus the ability to yell at brats; you have to smile no matter how annoying they are).

You help them through tough times, assist them in their homework, clean up their mess, AND make sure they're always safe and secure.

...I'm a 21 years old parent to a 60 years old annoying kid.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #779 on: September 06, 2011, 08:42:58 pm »
Had a chance to read Young Sherlock Holmes - Black Ice while on the bus back home. It was radical!

For one, people seem misinformed that Sherlock is merely a detective (well, a consultant detective, but different thing), but there's more to the character and the story than just that. In Steven Moffat's own words, "Other detectives have cases, Sherlock Holmes has adventures, and that's what matters."

Basically, the man's a legend for a good reason.

Anywhos, the first few chapters of Black Ice were radical because, although it starts off with normally as one would expect, without much story and stuff, it actually had a huge deal of philosophical debate (between Sherlock and Amyus Crowe). Who could have thought a mere fishing trip could grow into thought-provoking lesson about life, predators, tracking and logic? What about the necessity of analytic deduction, while also pondering on logical significance of emotions and artform, such as music? What about a world of relentless imagination and senseless traditions that we subconsciously follow; what about excluding certain animals from a purpose that could easily befit another, and excluding ourselves from "animals" category? What of the moral restraint of a person devouring another?

Oh, and I think I glanced a reference at "the meaning of life" in there. Everything was fascinating and intelligent about this book, from what I'v read so far, though I must say this is quite unusual for a Young Adult novel.

But I must say: Sherlock has always been in the lead from what we know, but this time it was refreshing to see him as a sidekick to someone superior, his mentor, bounty hunter and tracker named Amyus Crow. This guy's so awesome that he turned a nobody like Sherlock into a Super Predator within mere 6 months.  :D It'd be intriguing to see how he actually turns from Super Predator to inhuman. But at the same time I also see the outcomes of some characters beforehand; won't tell you because of spoilers, but one of those outcomes might actually be the reason why Sherlock hires the Baker Street Irregulars in the original novels.

Oh, and Baron Maupertuis might actually be Moriarty's mentor. :| Holy sheeeii.... We might see a young, psychotic teenager. And what of the Giant Rat of Sumatra? Ah, we better wait for that.

I'll show you guys an excerpt from interesting areas in the book later when I get time. Just one question bugs me though: why the hell does Amyus Crow remind me of FaustWolf-with-muscles-like-The-Rock, while Mycroft Holmes reminds me of Thought? Also, I kinda miss Duke Balthazar; he was almost cool, but just not cool enough. That said, Sherlock Holmes needs more gruesome villains. D:

Quote from: Random quote
If the young Sherlock Holmes was in Harry Potter, he would have found all the Horcrux's by the end of the first book, Philosopher's Stone.

-- Emily