Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 98684 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #540 on: March 28, 2011, 10:25:43 am »
Ya know what's amusing? It's how even smart minds can remain ignorant about most obvious things.

I work at a Cyber Cafe, and people come by to use computers/internet for various tasks. They know that computers can do anything these days, but there's one really important fact they've forgotten: that they can compute/calculate!

Seriously! Charles Babbage struggled to create a device to compute complex mathematical problems, which resulted in what we call today a Computer. People keep sending files over to each other, talking on their cellphones for various businesses, and keep asking me:

"Hey, can I borrow a calculator?"
"Hey, do you happen to have a calculator?"
"Oh shit! I need to send this Pay Slip fast! Where the heck do I find a calculator?!?!"

It's amusing to watch them like this. They frequently use the word computer, do complex tasks, are willing to admit it can help them solve any problem, and fail to realize that it's primary function is to compute/calculate! :lol:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 29, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »
Computer even means "person who does math" basically! I share your amusement in the subject, tushantin.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #542 on: March 29, 2011, 06:24:17 pm »
 :D Verily, Bekkler!

To all film-makers/film-critics! I just found out about a new (well, old) Director. The insane genius that was Stanley Kubrick!
[youtube]p6RzJFwDE_8[/youtube]

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »

Insane is right. Anyone who has ever seenA Clockwork Orange will know exactly what I'm talking about.

For your consideration.

Incidentally, I own a Blu-Ray copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey. *Sigh* To be overly optimistic of privatized space travel in the future.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #544 on: March 29, 2011, 07:32:03 pm »

Insane is right. Anyone who has ever seenA Clockwork Orange will know exactly what I'm talking about.

For your consideration.

Incidentally, I own a Blu-Ray copy of 2001: A Space Odyssey. *Sigh* To be overly optimistic of privatized space travel in the future.

Privatized space travel is the only way it'll work. We can't let the government control it because they'll just screw everything up.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:30 pm »
Yeah, kinda like how they never got to the Moon, or built an orbital space station, or got a satellite in orbit of Mercury, or put a rover on Mars. Damn incompetent government. Those clowns can't do anything. What a bunch of clowns.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 30, 2011, 12:02:44 am »
Yeah, kinda like how they never got to the Moon, or built an orbital space station, or got a satellite in orbit of Mercury, or put a rover on Mars. Damn incompetent government. Those clowns can't do anything. What a bunch of clowns.

Careful, J. Even if you're sarcastic, I hear Buzz Aldron'll punch you in the face for saying that stuff out loud.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 30, 2011, 12:30:11 am »
Saddest thing in the world: taking a class taught by a NASA engineer and listening to her reminisce on the days when NASA used to receive considerable funding.

Well, here's one little man whose funding needs are being met, at least!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 30, 2011, 01:45:25 am »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 30, 2011, 03:01:16 am »

I don't know if it's a question of working harder, Kodo.

The article states that he has Asperger's Syndrome, so in a way, he's sort of like Rain Man; he'll absorb the information far more easily than someone who doesn't have it. Hard work's only got so much to do with it. On the other hand, there are those who can be masters of hard work...

...like this guy.  :lee:

But ultimately, it's what one does with all that information at the end of the day that counts. He's using it to challenge the Theory of Relativity that scientists have held in such high regard for over a century, so the Nobel Committee better keep their eyes on his work.

More power to the shattering of stereotypes of those on the Autistic Spectrum Disorder!!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 30, 2011, 09:19:34 am »
Doesn't mean I can't use him as incentive to work harder. :P

There is so much I would like to understand, in mathematics and physics, that this kid is simply "absorbing." Even if it's due to his Asperger's, I still think he's a genius. And if I can't be a genius, then I can, and should, at least be :lee:.

His level of physics is beyond me, however, so for now I will master trig and calculus.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #551 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:22 am »
XDDD Hearing you guys talk about stuff like this makes me envious. Though amusing, it's also a sucker punch to the marbles since the day I've decided to dedicate my focus to art and philosophy.

ANYWAY, Cricket is really rocking my city. India beat Australia (first time since years Australia won't be able to win the World Cup), and today India faces off against Pakistan. While on my way to the cafe I've seen HUNDREDS of dudes crowding around a single television set in various blocks (Cafe Coffee Day alone had one LCD display and about 300 something onlookers), and took a picture of one instance despite my phone giving me a "Fuck You". Hah, just opposite to the cafe I can still hear many dudes screaming like fangirls when India took a wicket.  :lol:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 30, 2011, 05:05:08 pm »
XDDD Hearing you guys talk about stuff like this makes me envious. Though amusing, it's also a sucker punch to the marbles since the day I've decided to dedicate my focus to art and philosophy.

ANYWAY, Cricket is really rocking my city. India beat Australia (first time since years Australia won't be able to win the World Cup), and today India faces off against Pakistan. While on my way to the cafe I've seen HUNDREDS of dudes crowding around a single television set in various blocks (Cafe Coffee Day alone had one LCD display and about 300 something onlookers), and took a picture of one instance despite my phone giving me a "Fuck You". Hah, just opposite to the cafe I can still hear many dudes screaming like fangirls when India took a wicket.  :lol:

YOU GOTTA KNOW WHAT A CRUMPET IS TO UNDERSTAND CRICKET!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 31, 2011, 01:18:53 am »
Bleeeargh, cricket.  I had to play that in gym class when I lived in Scotland.  Couldn't stand it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:11 pm »