Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99274 times)

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #510 on: March 06, 2011, 01:27:52 pm »
No, everybody's dumb!

And how!   :lol:

Ha ha ha, I actually got stuck in the Chrono Trigger the first time I played it too, even before that point  :oops:. The first time you go to 2300 AD and you have to input a password into a console in Arris dome... I just didn't understand where the console was, I mean the console was RIGHT THERE, but I didn't get it for some reason... oh god, I spent weeks...  :picardno

Certainly a good youtube walkthrough would have helped me out then  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:29:29 pm by Licawolf »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #511 on: March 07, 2011, 12:49:23 am »
I was deciding between posting this here or the sexism thread, and I figured this was too pleasant for that.

A few weeks ago, the people in the room right next to mine apparently got a new stereo-speaker system, which I can hear through the walls. Among the many weird things I heard, they've played a cover of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer." Now, this isn't the famous Ataris cover, that did justice to the original while appealing to a younger audience, IMHO, this was some obnoxious girl band version. Besides the fact that the girls simply can't sing, I at first thought that the song lost all meaning from a female's perspective. It is, after all, titled "Boys of Summer," not "Girls of Summer."

So, after weeks of grumbling about it, I finally went to a site to look up and read the lyrics for myself. And I was surprised. The song makes wonderful sense from both points of view. Although I think the meaning is slightly changed with each reading(for the male, the meaning seems to be that he'll be with her after everyone else leaves; for the female, it seems to imply more of an age thing, "boy of summer" vs. whatever they are now at least from my reading for it).

I'm greatly amused by Don Henley's lyrical genius. There are probably only a few songs that can be read or heard from the perspective of both genders like this.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »
I got this off a Gamefaqs post, but I just had to put this here.

Natural progression of any message board for a sequel...

Months before release: Fanboys from original game flooding board with excitement and girly squeals...

Weeks before release: Fanboys plus new fans flooding the board with nerves and apprehension about previews, yet still with a positive tone...

Week before release: Serious Hardcore Fanboys either getting game early or claiming to have gotten the game early bashing it for not living up to the godlike status they have elevated the original game to...

Release onward: True gamers come through and realize the epicness of the game and serious hardcore original fanboys all but disappear amidst posts about actual content and story...

Pretty much the whole truth right there. :lol:

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2011, 04:08:32 pm »
@Truthordeal: I kinda read tat through (well, last halfway through) and it kinda seemed to me like he dumped her, or she dumped him, but he still won't leave his pals (us guys are loyal to our pals) since he can get another girl, while the girl just can't get over him. But not really anything about the age thing, though.

Not so sure what's so ingenious about it though (still haven't heard the song yet), but the lyrics are good!

@Skylarks: I guess some of us are special/True Gamers. XD As much as we expected to see the old cast and continuity, we still loved the story and game. I guess that's what we'd call real taste of art!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2011, 04:59:29 pm »
FaustWolf, Ace is so cool! (in reference to your avatar)

Still haven't beat the game yet. Too many doors...

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #515 on: March 08, 2011, 03:48:44 pm »
A Graffiti artist spreads knowledge of Physics.

It's funny that sometimes websites based on senseless humor can be so informative! (Hint: This one is about a new theory regarding Time.)

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #516 on: March 09, 2011, 03:47:26 pm »
I found this video yesterday, I love when people uses interactivity options in such original and amusing ways  :lol: It's like a little game made out of youtube videos.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 09, 2011, 07:04:18 pm »
I found this video yesterday, I love when people uses interactivity options in such original and amusing ways  :lol: It's like a little game made out of youtube videos.

That's a GREAT find! Wow!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 09, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »

I had an OCD moment and couldn't leave my computer until I watched every ending. :shock:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:27 pm »

I had an OCD moment and couldn't leave my computer until I watched every ending. :shock:
Join the club! XD

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #520 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »
 :lol: I discovered I was missing one ending after reading your comments.

Hey, guys, if you liked that one, I think you may like this one too :P It's different, but it's very funny and original too.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #521 on: March 12, 2011, 05:02:40 pm »
The most amusing thing I've seen so far (considering I've actually watched the highest grossing film India has ever produced).

What do you get when you fuse Terminator, Tron's Clu, and Superman? You get Chuck Norris's rival, Rajnikanth!

No, seriously! India's got a Chuck Norris equivalent, who causes Chuck Norris-esque jokes to spawn after each of his movies (he's also the highest paid actor in Asia after Jackie Chan). Reason being: in any movie he acts in, he's basically capable of kicking Superman's ass while chewing bubble gum, no matter what his character may be and no matter who or what his opponent is. His previous movie, Shivaji, was consider awesometastic: it's a story about this one businessman who tries to do good for the citizens of India, but is cornered and has everything taken away from him, his house, his lab, his money, even his watch, by corrupt politicians. He's left with a mere Rupee, with which he does the impossible and brings the nation's corruption to its knees.
When GOD is shocked he exclaims “Oh my Rajnikaant!”‌
Rajinikanth gave the Joker those scars.
Chuck Norris once met Rajinikanth. The result – He was reduced to a joke on the internet.

You can feel his eyes looking into your soul!

But what really amused me...

A movie I watched today, called Enthiran/Robot, starring Rajnikanth, initially a Tamil/Telugu movie but I watched it in Hindi dubbed. The movie was released last year.

The story follows a South Indian scientist on his quest to develop a perfect Artificial Intelligence (but knowingly discarding Isaac Asimov's Laws of Robotics) which could be used to assist soldiers in war, and indeed succeeds. However, because the android isn't capable of emotions it can't make rational decisions for itself and fulfills his task as specifically ordered by his master, often taking things to the extreme due to lack of common sense. This proved a fatal flaw in his system, to which the scientist strives to program emotions into this android, but it turns out it wasn't such a good idea after all when it develops the feelings of Love.

There's a running joke around the movie which states that if Rajnikanth were to feel like playing Grand Theft Auto, it's doomsday. But it's still a family/action film more than anything complicated like Ghost in the Shell, and the concepts were simple to understand for the majority and thus earned a fuck-load of viewers and success, becoming the highest grossing film EVER in India. I guarantee you that you'd either be impressed or highly amused (that is, ROFL), and thus I encourage you to watch. I do warn though:

1) You think Bollywood's crazy? Kollywood fights and Science Fiction is crazy enough to make brains explode, even for Mid-Indians like me. The stunts often make Spiderman look lazy.
2) The movie's awesome, but it's almost 3 hours long and has quite a lot of songs/dances involved. You can, of course, skip them by simply getting a drink or merely fast-forward.
3) Like in GTA and Baccano, there's a LOT of killing involved and, although it's a family movie and has a "happy ending", those intellectual among us might feel a bit depressed by the end. Still, it wouldn't have been intriguing without all that.

Here's the trailer. And if you want in on the action, a (literally) crotch-crushing, rock-fisting, gut-shocking, roundhouse-kicking fight scene. It's got English Subs, so don't worry if you don't understand Tamil. I don't either. XDDD

[youtube]orywMCXR-QI[/youtube][youtube]TpsoYcXJIZw[/youtube]

My personal favorite quotes from the movie.
1) Audience: Hey, Android! Do you believe in God?
Chitti: God is said to be The Creator. Dr Vaseegaran created to me, thus he is my God.

2) (Grabs a hundred rifles, aims at his enemies)
Chitti: Happy Diwali, folks! (Fires)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:10:26 pm by tushantin »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 12, 2011, 11:40:04 pm »
Joan... The Pope they call Joan.

She proselytized to the rich,
and she gave to the poor.
She dressed up like a man
and she gave them what-for.
Our love for her now ain't hard to explain,
the woman of the Vatican,
the Pope they call Joan.

For context:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Joan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8omJvCrwRdY

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 15, 2011, 12:57:44 am »
Strictly speaking, The Secret History of the Mongols is neither a secret nor a history nor about the Mongols! It is like the Holy Roman Empire in that regard.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 15, 2011, 01:10:58 am »
Yes, it was actually a Moly Ramen Umpire.

"Yerrrrrrrrr OUT! To dinner! At a noodlehouse in the underground!"