Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99287 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2011, 12:43:16 pm »
Baccano, huh? Sounds very interesting. I will look into it.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:45 pm »

I always got a kick out of the seagulls at Costco in the High Desert of Southern California. I think it's the food that draws them. Each Costco roof is equipped with a Bird Costco: bulk seeds, breadcrumbs, fresh imported worms, and, of course, 960-roll packs of toilet paper.

Oh, don't get me started on seagulls.

When I was still in high school, I had to walk a certain distance with me and my friends. On occasion, we'd bring some food along (the most common food item being donuts), and we'd get seagulls hovering over us like vultures waiting to eat the food. Also on occasion, we'd wear a nice semi-formal suit to school and cross our fingers that a seagull wouldn't land a flying BM on our nice khakis and polos. *shudders*

On some days, there'd be no seagulls, so we'd lightly toss some food a good distance, and guess what happens?

Seagulls seem to fly in from out of nowhere and eat the food.

The crowning moment of this small chapter in my life was when one fateful Friday, I had about half a box of donuts left over from breakfast. My friends and I decided to lay open the whole box and see what happened with the seagulls flying overhead.
I did just that, and let me tell you: I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It was like a seagull explosion as they swarmed the donuts and devoured like large, white, feathery locusts.

*Sigh* Those were good times... :lol:

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 21, 2011, 12:41:47 am »
Ah yes, seagulls. I remember once I went on a boat trip with some friends. Violent storms came up and drove us south, where were ended up lost and cold. We saw a seagull and followed it back towards land. I shot the bird, but then we got stuck in a dulldrum and my superstitious friends made me wear the seagull as a sort of penance to its spirit.
Wait a minute, that was an albatross, not a seagull.
Wait a minute, that was Samuel Coleridge, not me.

Anywho, seagulls are cool too.

As for my own amusement (other than the above): I happened to be listening to a metal station on Pandora while I "busy" myself with school "work." A song came up that at first I wasn't paying much attention to until I noticed that they kept talking about ale. I went and looked up the lyrics:

Quote from: The Huntmaster by Alestorm
Up from the bowels of hell he sailed
Wielding a tankard of freshly brewed ale
Slaying all those in his path
Those who might hinder his god-given task
To bring back beer to the lands of the free
This is his quest, his true destiny
Legends shall speak of his name
Hail the Huntmaster, with honour and fame

With the power of ale - He could not fail

I think that largely speaks for itself.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 23, 2011, 06:28:39 pm »
I have been informed that the Dream of the 90's is Alive In Portland

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 24, 2011, 02:55:01 am »
I have been informed that the Dream of the 90's is Alive In Portland

I gotta say: First, that's only partially an exaggeration! =)

Second: It's interesting to see how people are forming different conceptions of that the 90s were. I don't think a unified stereotypical narrative has taken hold yet.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #500 on: February 24, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »
Something funny happened recently, and I just need to post it lest I forget. I'm getting so forgetful these days I'm afraid I may one day forget what my name is.

Firstly, let me quote the awesome statements that broke through my frustration of the past 15 days of the project.
Quote from: Zeality
...don't hesitate to romanticize yourself and love yourself for being the raucous bastard who dares to try something ambitious and won't stay down or shut the fuck up. You're in the springtime of your FUCKING youth and THE GLORIOUS DOMAIN OF MAKING A CHANGE AND FULFILLING SOME NOBLE ENTERPRISE IS YOURS TO ENJOY!
Quote from: Harry
You're one motherfucking asshole! You make me proud!
Quote from: My boss
This'll happen even more in your line of career, but something about your attitude tells me you're not willing to kiss asses, even if need be. But if you're not scared of getting screwed by those stronger than you, feel free to try and put them in their proper place.
Quote from: Theodore Roosevelt
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Okay, now let's see:
A friend of mine, also the guy in our team in charge of designing the environment, had been bedridden for a week due to a bike accident, but appeared yesterday nonetheless. When we told him about what the headmistress says about the lab computers only thing and how we're simply sneaking work from home and sharing it on my Ubuntu netbook, he said, "I've got a better idea."

See, one of the reasons we refuse to use the lab computers was that it's not secure and is prone to viruses and file corruption; we don't want to work for hours only to realize we have to do it all over again. They had recently formatted the PCs (they do it every month) and installed all the tools (which takes a fuck load of time).

What our teammate did was write a .BAT file and placed it on the Startup folder. This, on each reboot, pops up various programs and command prompts all at the same time, rendering the computer unusable. I did the same on some other random computers and called the headmistress.

"Help! The computers look like they're infected. Please hurry up, or our files will be corrupted!"

They hurried, checked the computers, until finally the engineer said, "It's nothing a simple restart won't fix!" They rebooted and... it actually got worse. At the back, me and my classmates chuckled in silence. I told the faculty that the system's infected using complex mumbo-jumbo they couldn't keep up with, which obviously I made up on impulse just for laughs, and funny enough they bought it.

"It's badly infected," said our ingenious engineer. "We'll have to format this system again."

It was even more hilarious, considering what we did wasn't even a virus in the first place, and only my friend and I knew how to remove it, while this guy thinks that the only way to fix a problem is to format a system. To hell with everyone's data, I guess! Nevertheless, I ask if we could work on the eProject from home for the time being, to which the headmistress stubbornly said no, and that it'll be fixed by the next day.

Next day, we did the same thing, only more creatively. I prepared a script which actually pops a restart message every reboot and there's no way to cancel it. I even went so far as to mention, "File corruption countdown, stealing data in: (insert countdown here)". This time I even scoffed at my headmistress at how irresponsible she was with the machinery and her students' works. And she still insists we do it there. Only this time, we got permissions to work from home temporarily.

Nevertheless, there's nothing like the scent of sweet revenge in the morn!

On a different note, as I said the headmistress despises students who get their laptops in the lab (another reason for that being they're afraid the students would steal softwares from their machines; they'd rather sell it to em, even free ones for money). She marched into the lab and ordered my classmates to leave their laptops out. I was still wearing my bags in front of her, and was even in the process of using my netbook just before her, ignoring her orders.

But for some reason she said nothing to me. Not a word.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2011, 06:38:47 am »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #502 on: February 27, 2011, 06:15:00 am »
Hahahaha!
[youtube]KdhwVHpgndQ[/youtube]

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 03, 2011, 04:33:24 pm »
Hats are the next big thing!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #506 on: March 06, 2011, 05:21:21 am »
LMAO Babies are evil!

Mom often babysits twins from the neighbourhood in our house. She often keeps my old toys safely in case some other kid wants to play, and play they did. And when our heads were turned, one of the twins sneaked some of my ancient Pokemon tazos in his pockets (possibly because they don't have many toys at their own place, or maybe because they were fascinated by it's 3D-ness), and seeing this little rascal his brother began to do the same, only this time he hid the tazos in his shirt.

We noticed them. They stopped, looking all innocent. And we laughed. And they began stuffing their overfilled pockets and shirt, all the while staring at us whether we would rebuke them for it. We wouldn't though, because the scene was actually hilarious!

The first twin was shy and he hid behind a wall. The second twin stood up, and all the tazos fell out from under his shirt. He ran giggling, "No! No!" and hid behind the wall with his brother.

EDIT: I may not be a parent, but I did notice something of value to any other parent out here.

No matter how much they steal or cause chaos, don't rebuke a child at least until they're six. Advantages: They'll remain more open to you in the future and will be likely to listen to you, they'll be much more interested in learning about their environs, boosting their natural curiosity and thus intelligence, won't be hot tempered as they grow, AND you'll be able to keep their behavior in check. If you don't want them to do something there's always a playful way out rather than scolding them, because most likely they wouldn't understand you.

Just remember that you're an adult, and that you have more power over them than they'd have any potential against you at this time.  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:33:19 am by tushantin »

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 06, 2011, 08:32:47 am »
How different things were years ago before GameFaqs and walk-throughs.  Back when you either shelled out money for a guide, asked friends for help, or just had to figure out the impossible dungeon / boss / puzzle yourself.  Now all someone needs to do is look things up online and voila!  Complete walk-through right there!  As long as someone has a computer, they'll never need to drudge through trial and error if they can help it.  Kids these days.  :P

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #508 on: March 06, 2011, 12:17:59 pm »
Ironically enough, now that you can easily get more help, the games are getting easier too :?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #509 on: March 06, 2011, 12:39:50 pm »
Ironically enough, now that you can easily get more help, the games are getting easier too :?
Funny enough, I'm glad that's the case. XDDD I remember as a young teen when playing Chrono Trigger for the first time I got stuck in the End of Time right after acquiring Robo. Gaspar kept talking about Lavos in a bucket, and kept dying despite the emulator save states. I was so frustrated with the game that I almost quit playing games for good.

Almost. That is until I discovered the Compendium and some walkthroughs from Gamefaqs. That's when I realized that if I had even the slightest curiosity of exploring 600 AD I would have progressed on my own. Yeah, I was dumb, but it wasn't just me. I also got my girlfriend to play it, and even she was stuck at that very place, thinking the game was over. xDDD

So I guess we were both dumb. No, everybody's dumb!