Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 98659 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2010, 05:00:02 am »
Apparently a friend Pieretta Dawn (author of the Interspecies Trilogy) met the author of the famous Artemis Fowl and And Another Thing, Eoin Colfer.  :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=473739983432&set=a.473739888432.255473.248914473432

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #421 on: December 07, 2010, 05:02:42 am »
Been reading Bartimaeus - Ring of Solomon recently and something amused me. Surely you have heard me say this many times; the books are VERY coincidental to the Chrono series as far as plots go, but this is ridiculous:

1) Cedric Guardia loves historical epics and artifacts, and one day he stumbles upon the ruins of Zeal. He finds the Frozen Flame that grants him his desires and makes him the most powerful man in the world. He builds a kingdom, wages wars and is very wicked. But the FF somehow steals his sanity and morality slowly.

2) King Solomon of Jerusalem loves historical epics and artifacts, and one day stumbles upon the Sumerian Ruins. He finds "The Ring" that grants him his desires and makes him the most powerful man in the world. He builds a kingdom, wages wars and is very wicked. But the Ring somehow saps his strength and mortality each time he uses it.

Seriously, it looks like Johnathan Stroud's Foliot is disguised as a Compendiumite, keeping an eye on us. I mean, whaaaaaat?

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 07, 2010, 11:53:32 am »
No spoilers for my favorite book series, dammit!

...Just kidding. I haven't The Ring of Solomon yet, so I'm jealous. But that is a neat connection. It would be amazing if Stroud is a Chrono fan!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 07, 2010, 06:09:56 pm »
Heh, I say it all goes back to Tolkien in the end.  :P

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 07, 2010, 06:58:47 pm »
Heh, I say it all goes back to Tolkien in the end.  :P

Sounds like a bad Linkin Park song. :P

Speaking of DeLoreans (see Z's SoY thread), this http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/internets/HWBTTF001.jpg is, in my opinion, amazing. I'm a fan of Hot Wheels, so you can see why. Too bad it was only released in Japan and, as such, eBayers are asking ridiculous prices for it...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 08, 2010, 04:11:47 am »
2) King Solomon of Jerusalem loves historical epics and artifacts, and one day stumbles upon the Sumerian Ruins. He finds "The Ring" that grants him his desires and makes him the most powerful man in the world. He builds a kingdom, wages wars and is very wicked. But the Ring somehow saps his strength and mortality each time he uses it.

I don't know...that sounds way more like The Lord of the Rings than anything Chrono-related...

Edit::  Oops, Faust already said that.  My bad!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:29:24 am by Sajainta »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #426 on: December 08, 2010, 04:20:22 am »

I don't know...that sounds way more like The Lord of the Rings than anything Chrono-related...
XDDD Like FW said, it all goes back to Tolkien.

But what I mean is that "The Ring" in Ring of Solomon is equivalent to the "Frozen Flame" in Chrono series, and similarly given the theme of "The Jewel that cannot be stolen". Obviously, each thief/assassin who tries to steal the Ring has failed miserably, either put to death or being tortured for eternity.

Similarly, Simon Lovelace from the Trilogy is equivalent to Lynx
Nathaniel to Janus
Kitty Jones to Kid
Bartimaeus (somewhat) to Flea
Modern (alternate) London to Zeal (seriously)
....and way more than you can imagine.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 08, 2010, 09:09:07 am »
Actually, it goes back waaaaay past Tolkien--all the way to Norse mythology and the cursed ring Andvarinaut, if I'm not mistaken. </GEEK>

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 08, 2010, 01:58:43 pm »
I would propound that people's takes on "what it goes back to" is not actually a measure of what-it-goes-back-to so much as an insight into our own creative constrictions and Western society's broad overreliance on the premise of derivation (i.e., the idea that nothing is or can be original). Of course, we must also acknowledge that artists too are only marginally less susceptible to this point of view, with a consequent abundance of self-fulfilling norms defining the domain of our intellectual works.

It's easy to see why some people insist that the ancient Greeks knew everything there was to know, and that since then we've all just been repeating what they learned. Speciarily, we're kind of set up that way. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to study the Jovian moons, so that I can be as smart as the Greeks were!

=P

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #429 on: December 24, 2010, 11:19:29 am »
Police arrest three, still searching for stolen 300-year-old violin

XDDD Check the comments. Amazing, I've never seen a thief gaining so much support! Millions-worth Stradivarius thief even!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 01, 2011, 01:26:14 am »
http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMTQ3MTAzMDc2/v.swf

LOL, reminds me of an old Chinese phrase 'play the lute to a cow'.
He/she's playing to a sleeping cat.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 10, 2011, 07:46:42 pm »
I love portmanteau words, and how creative (or uncreative, I guess) you can be with them. For instance, my username is a portmanteau I made when I was younger. Even the name of the character in my image, Hanekoma, is created from the Japanese words hane (feather) and neko (cat), which allude to who he is in the game.

Anyway, to the point. My new favorite portmanteau: CATHULU

Angerona

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Where are my keys???!!!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #432 on: January 10, 2011, 08:02:15 pm »

Aww ^w^

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2011, 05:18:48 am »

Aww ^w^
HAWWWW! >w<

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:19 pm »
Space casserole.

I've been watching the old Voltron cartoons occasionally during my lunch breaks and, being an old cartoon, it relies on heavy use of "space," "universe," and "galaxy" to make things seem futuristic. But I had thought that "space mice" was the worst of it. No, apparently not, for today's episode included space casserole. While I don't know how a space casserole differs from a regular casserole, I can guess. It is probably made with space chicken, space vegetables, space potatoes, and the entire thing was probably space baked in a space oven.