Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99386 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »
Dystopian works are, of course, not inherently self-righteous. Rather, in our present cultural climate they emerge strikingly often. The question then becomes, why? My position is that dystopian (and post-apocalyptic) imagery is derived most often by cynical people who feel variously helpless at changing the world and their own place in it; it's then an easy line from that sentiment to the decision to spurn civilization by writing it off as far more destructive than it actually is, through entertainment and the arts. The only other major source of dystopian imagery comes from genuine reflection upon, or speculation at, the state of humanity. That factor, however, is not sufficient to describe the outsize presence of these negative ideas at this point in time. Only cynicism can account for it.

Japan, like the United States, has a special love of envisioning horrific futures. Japan would come by such a passion honestly, having been practically destroyed within living memory, and now having risen to new heights of technological prowess, without a commensurate feeling of having conquered the human ills which technology was expected to sweep away. In a world where material needs are largely satisfied, the disaffected have a great incentive to turn their ill spirits toward the future, which cannot defend itself through physical evidence as the present can.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »
Wow, the note on Japan's experience vs. the US experience kind of puts things in perspective, yeah.

It seems you would find a dystopian work that consists of "genuine reflection upon, or speculation at, the state of humanity" to be superior to one based on mere cynicism. But what factors can we use to sift creative works into one category or the other? I guess I'm interested in examples of how you might categorize already-completed works moreso than general principles in this case, so I can compare those and form my own conclusions.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2010, 11:03:18 pm »
It seems you would find a dystopian work that consists of "genuine reflection upon, or speculation at, the state of humanity" to be superior to one based on mere cynicism. But what factors can we use to sift creative works into one category or the other? I guess I'm interested in examples of how you might categorize already-completed works moreso than general principles in this case, so I can compare those and form my own conclusions.

That's a good question. Look for the presence of other elements in the work which suggest or imply that the creator expects (i.e., wants) such a future to take form, as opposed to those which suggest or imply that the creator greatly desires to avoid such a future. Carl Sagan's last episode of Cosmos, "Who Speaks for Earth?," presents a very clear-cut example of a post-apocalyptic future in fiction which the creator greatly desired to avoid. (For most purposes, dystopianism and post-apocalyptism (sic) can be treated interchangeably even though they are effectively opposites.) Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is another example of the same, but less clear-cut. (And it should be noted that Nausicaä is more accurately post-post-apocalyptic, with some part of civilization having reemerged from a cataclysm into a pastoral state.) (Indeed, that cyclical theme is very common in Japanese culture; you'll find it all over the place. At what point it crosses the line from genuine contemplativeness to cynicism-in-its-own-right is outside my expertise.)

Then there are the ambiguous ones, such as Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica and Deep Space Nine. Is his work deliberately cynical, or ignorantly cynical? Moore himself, by my assessment, seems prone to creating fantasy futures of horror that he doesn't understand and doesn't subscribe to. It is tempting to me to discount him not as an exponent of doom, but as a fool with artistic inclinations. This kind of stuff constitutes a third ground which I didn't cover in my previous post; its size (i.e., significance) is questionable, and its relevance is diminished anyway, given how heavily it overlaps with the cynicism faction. In the end, therefore, the net effect is the same, even if the intent is ambiguous. I bet you that you could tie the prevalence of insincerely cynical works to the genuine cynicism levels of those works' audiences.

Completely new amusement:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/books/01lit.html?ref=homepage&src=me&pagewanted=all

That's the article which prompted me to write in the Frustration thread about non-scientific people who use science inappropriately. However, what really stands out to me about that article is how utterly marvelous the people's names are. Go read that article and pay attention to all the names, both of real people and fictional figures. It's just so much fun to read...

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2010, 02:14:51 am »

I don't know about you guys, but this whole talk about dystopian futures deserves a thread of its own (because such things are awesome to discuss and deliberate about).

Amusement for FW: My University Library has a first edition of A Brave New World. And to think...  :roll:

I can check it out at any time.  If you like, I'll get a couple of pictures of me holding it and showing off the timeless pages.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2010, 05:04:22 am »
Yeah, it would be interesting to have some kind of thread to talk about, uh, qualitative aspects of art...and stuff.

Genesis, is it, like, the 1932 edition of the novel, in pristine condition? That is pretty impressive! This reminds me, I'd really like to read Brave New World Revisited sometime. What a fascinating concept, I didn't even know about the existence of Revisited until I visited the wiki page just now.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 07, 2010, 03:12:12 am »
There is a certain benchmark of idiocy beyond which it is no longer fun to make fun of.

Not really an amusement so much as a quiet astonishment.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »
I couldn't decide whether to post this in the link thread or in here, but seeing as how much of an enjoyment it is to me. . .

www.pandora.com

Anyone ever visited this site before? You type in an artist/song, and it creates a playlist based on the nature of your choice. Of course, due to licensing, it can't play whatever you want. Still, given the sheer variety of songs I have heard so far that fall under my genre preferences, I like it. Very amusing.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2010, 05:20:07 pm »
Sheeeeeeeeit!!

That's what I think now whenever I see a post by Shee. So every once in a while I gotta let one rip loose.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2010, 11:31:20 pm »
Today, in a groundbreaking announcement, scientists have revealed that God prefers playing Katamarti Damacy to dice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:20040514_large_hail_5.25%22.jpg

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 13, 2010, 09:40:30 am »
Oh, friggin' ouch...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 14, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »
Every now and again they Onion really does come out with a true gem. :lol:

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2010, 12:14:26 am »
I did a Google search on my name today. I didn't expect to get any results pertaining to me, since I have a popular first name and a rather common last name, and I didn't.

I did however, get an image search result of Kim Jong Il and a picture of Judas Priest.

I wasn't really offended enough from the Kim Jong Il result for this to be a frustration, nor was I enamored enough by Judas Priest to love it, but I will say that I was amused.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 19, 2010, 12:51:37 am »
Are you really named after one of history's most notorious traitors and one of the present day's most contemptible tyrants? Do you want to hire my PR firm to salvage this execrable situation? My rates are very low! $450 for the consultation and $80 an hour after that!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 21, 2010, 01:54:24 am »
I typically transfer and re-word class notes from one notebook to another as a form of information processing and pre-test studying. I was trying to transfer the sentence: "Fiscal policy is ineffective according to classical reasoning." And instead, I ended up writing, completely by accident: "...thus, classical reasoning is ineffective."

:franky
Freudian slips are even better when written sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:00:12 am by FaustWolf »