Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99084 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Park Your Amusements Here
« on: November 16, 2009, 12:23:50 pm »
We have a Love thread, a Hate thread, and a Frustration thread. Not only is that a bit negatively balanced, but there are all kinds of things that doesn't quite fit. I've been thinking on and off for months on what kind of thread could catch most of what's left. Now I have it: an Amusement thread! It can be any kind of amusement, from joyous to grim.

I'll start us off...

I find it amusing that so many people don't understand blogging, think it's a fad, and are nevertheless so eager to get in on it. The ones from the traditional media are the worst. With their influence, they actually are making a fad out of it. But it'll still be here long after they've lost interest. I think this whole cultural mentality that everything is a fad is, itself, a fad. (Actually, I suppose they won't "lose interest" so much as lose the notion that blogging is here today, gone tomorrow. Now Twitter, that's another story...)

I am frequently amused by acronyms and other telltales of lazy language. I was reading a list of assignment titles when I came across "How is diabetes correlated with CAD?" My first thought was, "Computer-aided design? That can't possibly be right." So I scoured my memory banks for a couple of a seconds before a second moment of amusement struck, this one accompanied with the ol'  :idea: "Coronary artery disease. But of course!"

(All good eureka moments and exchanges of fine mustard should be announced with "But of course!")

On a much warmer note, I am greatly amused by the Pineapple Express. It's about fifteen degrees warmer now than it was a couple of days ago at this hour, and the wind is nature's own gentle caress. Of course, this being nature, "gentle" means limbs are falling off trees and waves are lashing the coast.

I also find the British terrifically amusing, what with their lorries and crisps. We even have a British Compendium member named "Dunce."

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:39:37 pm »
I find it very amusing that people hardly ever guess my nationality correctly. By my accent (I have an accent?), people have asked if I was Australian, Irish, Scottish, New Yorker, and Canadian, when in fact it's a mix of British and redneck. I've had a Japanese person think I was Japanese, and I've been mistaken for Korean many times because of my hobbies. Does anyone else ever have this problem?

I am amused by the ability to change character names in most role playing games. I'm going through Golden Sun, and I named the three men Janus, Magil, and Magus. I keep running into lines like "Magil, why can't you be more like Magus/Janus?!" I never knew Magil behaved that poorly!

I am also amused by the way Lord J speaks (which is awesome, by the way). I still don't know what "bonzer" means.

Also this http://steelbanana.deviantart.com/art/Chrono-Trigger-Meme-Finished-143522365.

EDIT: Also tourists. I've had family come visit from out of state twice since Nolan's been in China, and they seemed so awed over little things that I've always taken for granted. I do appreciate the scenery here, and I love how our trees change colour and drop their leaves all over the place, but I never considered it didn't happen like that in other states. We had to stop a few times to take pictures of trees ("the leaves are actually on the ground!"). I also never knew that the floating bridges were such a huge point of interest to tourists. Most people who come here from out of state immediately ask about the floating bridges, about where they are, why they're floating, what happens when it's windy, how they float, and if I've ever been on them.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:46:32 pm by Zephira »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:46:02 pm »
Bonzer! It's been too long since I've had a proper "Bonzer!" moment.

I didn't even notice your accent, although I'm not good with subtle accents. It's only in recent years that I've been able to notice some of the parts of my own accent relative to West Coasterners in general. For instance, I pronounce "hanger" with clear California beach tendencies.

By your last name, I'd guess you were English. Otherwise, I'm going with German. You have this look of ruthless efficiency about you. As for myself, I most frequently am mistaken for a Raconteur.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:53:17 pm »
German? That's a first, I'll have to add that to the list!
I think my last name is either Southern or Native-American. I haven't studied much of my paternal grandpa's lineage, but I know I have ancestry from both of those on dad's side. My step-dad is of German descent, though, so close.

I doubt that Raconteur bit is a mistake! I believe you've already told us your nationality so I can't exactly guess (and I suck at that anyway), but if I'd have to take a stab in the dark anyway, I'd say... Canadian.

Other amusement: Pine needles. During fall, lots of leaves and pine needles line the gutters and roads and get completely soaked. It feels like walking on a soft, plush carpet. I'd say Autumn is my favourite season, but I say that about every season, and only during that season.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:49:10 pm »
I find it very amusing that people hardly ever guess my nationality correctly. By my accent (I have an accent?), people have asked if I was Australian, Irish, Scottish, New Yorker, and Canadian, when in fact it's a mix of British and redneck. I've had a Japanese person think I was Japanese, and I've been mistaken for Korean many times because of my hobbies. Does anyone else ever have this problem?

Ohhhh yes.  Back when I had my hair dyed jet black, people thought I was anything from part Lebanese or part Japanese to Irish.  It was crazy.  When I would tell people I grew up in the Philippines, they assumed I was part Filipina.

I won't even get started on my accent.  Living overseas really threw a monkey wrench into my general pronunciation.  People have no idea where I'm from based on my accent, because it's just a huge jumble of Scottish-tinged American with a very slight Filipino tint.

In general, people have told me that overall I look French or British and that my accent deserves its own country.  XD

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 09:40:03 pm »
EDIT: Also tourists. I've had family come visit from out of state twice since Nolan's been in China, and they seemed so awed over little things that I've always taken for granted.

Wildlife is another good example. My family once hosted a friend of my father's from Australia (we're American). She was absolutely fascinated with squirrels: their chattering, tail flicking, tree climbing; heck, just the way they move enthralled her for whatever reason. It was like watching someone on safari for the first time. To me, the things aren't much more than vehicular fodder. To her, it was, at the very least, a top-notch zoo exhibit.  :lol:

I'm amused by Bug Catcher characters in Pokémon games. I love how they boast about their own awesomeness before they throw out their team members, which, commonly enough, aren't much more than Metapods or Kakunas that are only armed with the move Harden. I do have to admit that they are spot on about their awesomeness; just not in the way they were implying.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 09:41:40 pm »
In defense of tourists, I think this applies at all levels of scale:

http://xkcd.com/231/

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 09:46:56 pm »
In defense of tourists, I think this applies at all levels of scale:

http://xkcd.com/231/

That is one of my favourite comics of all time.  It's so true.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:29:38 pm »
Omnom!

That's probably going to be my new favorite word.  Thanks, Zeph.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 09:24:54 pm »
Omnom!

Well if omnipresent means being everyone at once, does omnom mean noming everything at once?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 11:20:14 pm »
Particularly amusing when you consider that Cookie Monster never actually got to eat so much as a single cookie: In his zeal, they would always crumble up and fall out of his mouth onto the floor. Om nom nom! Indeed!

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 02:59:27 pm »
Well if omnipresent means being everyone at once, does omnom mean noming everything at once?

Along the same lines, perhaps "Ohmnom" could mean devouring (or noming) the center and flow of all existence.  Or, perhaps it could refer to the electrical resistance of the act of noming.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 03:57:57 pm »

In retrospect, I have no idea what possessed me into thinking that this was a clever pun...

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 04:10:16 pm »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 05:00:16 pm »

Over the radio: G1 to Compendium, this is G1. Reporting back the successful deployment and detonation of the Nom Bomb.  Awaiting Approval to return to base.