Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99308 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2010, 04:41:40 am »
I just moved from Texas to Oregon. Now, as any good child of the 80's would, I chronicled my adventures with facebook posts in the style of the old Oregon Trail video game. This included a series of posts in which we floated across a river (and our cat was swept away), our cat getting typhoid fever, dysentery, and a snake bite.

My particular amusement came from a call I received from my parents, who saw those posts and were genuinely concerned for our cat's health.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 20, 2010, 11:32:39 am »
I found this music video of Michael Jackson's "Remember The Time" set to Chrono Trigger's "Corridor of Time." I find it fascinating and addicting to listen to, not only because it's a combination of two beautiful songs but also, the chrono aspect merges perfectly with the music video--the rendering of ancient Egypt makes me think of Zeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtiJa-ZJt8&feature=player_embedded

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:05 pm »
Uhhhhh that was BAWSE!!!!!

Awesome awesome awesome!!!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2010, 07:47:10 pm »
That is a remarkably good mix. I can imagine Michael Jackson in Zeal, and the setting of this video to be Zeal itself.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:51 pm »
Quote from: sumpissdkid
I hate My sister. Can you feel the reality that makes you bleed until you can't vomit anymore.

I found this gem of a quote while reading through the "Stuff you hate" thread.  I was eating at the time and almost spat out my food from laughing.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 21, 2010, 01:04:32 am »
I've seen three different coffee brands in the past week talk about how their coffee is "hand-crafted in the Old World tradition." I'm waiting for the day I see a product advertise itself as "machine-manufactured with newfangled aesthetics." That style of advertising was actually en vogue not terribly long ago ("see the wonders of artificial dye!"), so I suspect it will make a comeback eventually.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 21, 2010, 09:09:41 pm »
And now, A Friendly Note to Christian Fundamentalists, sponsored by the Joshalonian Board of Education:

Your efforts to wield the languages of science and logic to espouse your own faith-based philosophy sounds even more ill-informed and disingenuous than the equally clumsy efforts by the irreligious to use the language of faith to espouse secular principles.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 21, 2010, 09:16:53 pm »
And now, A Friendly Note to Christian Fundamentalists, sponsored by the Joshalonian Board of Education:

Your efforts to wield the languages of science and logic to espouse your own faith-based philosophy sounds even more ill-informed and disingenuous than the equally clumsy efforts by the irreligious to use the language of faith to espouse secular principles.

You tell 'em.

I'm upstairs on my laptop and D is downstairs on his laptop and we're talking over Facebook chat.  He's asking me if I can print something up here and then come downstairs to watch a movie.

This would, of course, be a lot easier to talk about face-to-face, so the fact that we're only a floor apart and yet still using electronics to communicate is very amusing to me.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 21, 2010, 09:31:55 pm »
There's something delicious about carrying out a conversation across a few feet by way of a transceiver tower miles off.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 22, 2010, 12:01:49 am »
Indeed!  What's even more amusing is when I talk to someone on the phone when we're in the same house, but can hear them both on the phone and in the house and there's a delay in their voice on the phone.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 22, 2010, 05:28:14 am »
I may have posted this one before, but my considerable amusement of the moment is:

"Silence!"

The interjection, that is. As in, the thing somebody shouts when there's a ruckus going on, and everybody immediately hushes up. The reason I find it so amusing is that in fiction it's probably the most reliable command in the universe in terms of being obeyed in every conceivable setting, whereas in real life nobody ever, ever uses it.

These days you're likely to hear a tepid "Quiet, please!" or a needlessly self-aggrandizing "STFU!" but, oh, what I wouldn't give to see some imperious wag drop a proper S-bomb on an unruly gaggle of mooks and blatherskites!

Secondary Amusement: Firefox's dictionary doesn't recognize "blatherskites" and recommended "weatherstrips."

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 22, 2010, 06:34:20 pm »
Ah, "blatherskites;" I recall when I learned that word. It was from watching Ducktales as a kid. I am amused that TV gets such a bad rap when in fact people do learn things from it.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2010, 06:42:56 pm »
Awww, Ducktales!  Loved that show!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2010, 09:07:00 pm »
Me too, actually. (Learning that word from DuckTales.) Darn fine show. And made great in large part by the music of Ron Jones. I still watch the pilot movie from time to time.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 23, 2010, 01:18:01 pm »
From The Department of Very Bad Jokes:

Q: Why did the chicken commit suicide?
A: To get to the other side.
</rimshot>