Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99456 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #1155 on: April 23, 2018, 04:47:24 pm »
57342 in hex is DFFE. Since gold values are doubled in chests, that is stored as 6FFF. The max gold possible in a single chest is 7FFF. So that chest contains 0x1000, or 4096 less than the maximum gold it could hold.

That makes far more sense and doesn't take such a convoluted language conversion (and a far one at that) to drive the conclusion.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #1156 on: April 23, 2018, 04:55:19 pm »
It makes me wonder why they went 0x1000 less than the maximum. 0x4000 would seem like a more likely choice, since that's the highest bit set.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 23, 2018, 05:28:38 pm »
That is very interesting Boo. I actually want to learn Japanese writing because I eventually want to make and sell pieces with Japanese writing and art.

I started with Duolingo and a copy of Rosetta Stone. Duolingo is free and will teach you some things, but it doesn't explain mechanics very well. You learn by doing.

Rosetta Stone is costly and I didn't love the learning structure; it literally throws you in and doesn't contextualize well. They said it helps you learn by immersion, but I guess I wanted more structure and gave up on it. I needed to better understand the basics of alphabets and numerics first.

That all being said, you don't need to know it for your art! Just make sure you properly vet it before you end up running with some of them. Context is everything! You don't want your painting to say "poop salad" when you tried to say "have a nice daaaay!" (like you see with some of these poorly translated Chinese tattoos, bahahaha)

I have about 5 books on the Japanese language because what you just stated here is my biggest fear. When I do something, I like it to be done right! I'm horribly meticulous (in fact, I googled how to spell "meticulous" ha ha!) so I would triple check to make sure it's saying what I want it to say. I can't wait until I finally have my stuff down here so I can get started! I'd buy some here, but I bought a lot of it off of Amazon and my stuff will be down here in a few months. So I can wait.  :D Besides, I have so many other projects I'm working on right now!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1158 on: April 25, 2018, 01:54:39 am »
A life which isn't felt and isn't based around one's individual identity is meaningless.

That is a concept that resonates with me deeply and I inherently agree with. Which is why it hits me really home when that concept is taken to its extreme, and the character that embodies that concept is... actually a villain.

And that to in one of my most favorite anime of all time.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1159 on: May 02, 2018, 09:47:37 am »
Hahahahahahahaha!!

"Programmers are EVIL" (a 40 mins presentation): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e6BKJPnb5o

This one's for Mauron, and possibly also utunnels if he's still around and happens to notice this post.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 02, 2018, 12:44:39 pm »
A life which isn't felt and isn't based around one's individual identity is meaningless.

Oh this! I meant to respond to this earlier when you first posted it and forgot to.

This is the focal point of The Stranger by Albert Camus. Such a fascinating story and it really made me reevaluate a few of my worldviews.

In the story, the protagonist is involved in a scuffle and ultimately kills a man. It's intentionally ambiguous as of to what happens and why, but it appears to be (mostly) self-defense and is a  fascinating scenario none-the-less.

The rest of the story then follows the "murderer" as he is tied up in his conviction and legal proceedings, and ends with his penultimate fate. Spoiler alert, he is executed.

Even though the protagonist was (mostly) acting in self-defense, because he was mostly unemotional in his responses, some interpreted his response as anomie, and he is painted as an immoral villain, when in fact he is none of the above. It was all about the expectation of his responses and his non-alignment with societal norms.

Not only did the book challenge my perceptions of emotion, but it also challenged the fact that society often makes us 'play the game' in regards to how we should "act." It entirely flipped my views on corporal punishment.

But yeah, this is a good quote, tushantin!

I'm curious what anime you were referencing. I haven't seen stein;gate yet (although the game keeps coming up as recommended on Steam), but I'm enjoying having recommendations from you and a few others. I'm currently watching Fullmetal Alchemist again before I move on to a new series.

:D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:30:07 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #1161 on: May 02, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »
I'll check that presentation out later.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1162 on: May 02, 2018, 05:25:31 pm »
Even though the protagonist was (mostly) acting in self-defense, because he was mostly unemotional in his responses, some interpreted his response as anomie, and he is painted as an immoral villain, when in fact he is none of the above. It was all about the expectation of his responses and his non-alignment with societal norms.

Sounds like the story of my Late 20s -- except in my case it's a bit more topsy-turvy than that, what with those being the normless being the ones to create rigid norms, which you have to follow or face dire consequences.

Haha I'm definitely going to read The Stranger now. Speaking of which, I also need to read up on Durkheim too, which I haven't. And my reading-list is growing bonkers.

I'm curious what anime you were referencing. I haven't seen stein;gate yet (although the game keeps coming up as recommended on Steam), but I'm enjoying having recommendations from you and a few others. I'm currently watching Fullmetal Alchemist again before I move on to a new series.

I'm talking about Psycho-Pass.

Watch the first season, skip the second (unless the upcoming movies rely on the second season). Reason being the first season is pretty much a masterpiece, but for some reason the second one (according to everybody, since I haven't watched it) is inconsequential.

In a way, Psycho-Pass does deal with what you mentioned The Stranger, wherein the villains of the story aren't just outcasts as anomie (as I understand the word anyway) but are immediately labeled as such by an effective system of the State that is now capable of quantifying criminality and the propensity to become a criminal. But of course, there's more to the story (and the philosophy) when an accurate scientific instrument to measure if a crime is going to be committed before it even does, aiding in the creation of a perfect system, pretty much throws away our entire modern conception of Justice, including the need for institutions to prove a crime, verify claims and judge a penalty accordingly (Judge, Jury and Executioner, if you will). This brings about not only a whole host of conveniences & issues when it comes to dealing with criminals, but also many many questions that will probably pop up into your mind before the story addresses them.

I wish I could describe the show in more detail, but I'm afraid I'd be spoiling the experience for whoever wants to watch it, so I'll leave it at that.

As for Stein;Gate, oh boy, it starts slow (like really slow) but if you stick with it long enough you'll realize why it's being hailed as a modern classic. It deals with time-travel and parallel universes in a very interesting way, sometimes in ways that our own teams brainstormed about when it comes to the Chrono series. And yet, because it often tries to remain grounded and uses real-life references playing an important role in the story itself, everything just feels very real. Which is why when the turning-point occurs, it hits you harder than when a truck would butt-fuck a duck.

Like Crimson Echoes, it also deals with not just the merits of Time Travel but also its consequences. Let's just say, shit gets real.

I recommend watching it, because right now the fans are being gifted with a second series, which is pretty much a pseudo Chrono Cross. Why? Because even though this second series has the exact same characters as the previous series, they're not the same as you knew them, and yet the very same people you've always known. This series is not a sequel. It's not even a prequel. There is no connection with the first series. And yet it has everything to do with what happened in the first series.

And if the reviews of the game this was adapted from are true, it hits harder than the previous story hits you.

Say, is the Fullmetal Alchemist that you're watching called Brotherhood? If not, I think you better get on that because Brotherhood is probably the definitive version of FMA (even though it doesn't actually take away anything from a majority of the original FMA series; in fact, th original did the first-half extremely well, while Brotherhood rushed it within 10 or so episodes so that it could do what the original could not).

EDIT: I'll just leave this clip here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqrh65uOKJ8
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:40:25 pm by tushantin »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 02, 2018, 05:29:59 pm »
On a different topic, what has been amusing me lately is everyone's overuse of the word "literally." To quote Weird Al from his song "Word Crimes"...

..."Oh but just now you said
You literally couldn't get out of bed (What!?)
That really makes me want to literally
Smack a crowbar upside your stupid head!"

Best. Line. Ever.  :D

I just had to share. LOL

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 02, 2018, 11:43:14 pm »
Haha I'm definitely going to read The Stranger now. Speaking of which, I also need to read up on Durkheim too, which I haven't. And my reading-list is growing bonkers.

I know, right? I alternate between never being able to stop reading and then never being able to pick up a book. I'm at the point where my bookcase is half-full of books I've never read, and even now they are starting to overflow into boxes in a closet. There's a used bookstore near me that sells most books super cheap, so it's almost intoxicating to buy books!

As for The Stranger, I think you may like it! It's definitely eye opening (or at least it was for me) and definitely made me rethink some of my old worldviews. I used to be pro-death penalty, and it totally made me against it.

I'm talking about Psycho-Pass.

Watch the first season, skip the second (unless the upcoming movies rely on the second season). Reason being the first season is pretty much a masterpiece, but for some reason the second one (according to everybody, since I haven't watched it) is inconsequential.

If I get to this, I'll unfortunately HAVE to watch the second season. I'm a completionist, filler and all! It's both a blessing and a curse. It sounds cool though -- sort of a pre-crime element I've seen done in scifi. Minority Report did it really well, and Star Trek has toyed with it a few times. I'll hunt for it on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon and add it to my list!

Say, is the Fullmetal Alchemist that you're watching called Brotherhood? If not, I think you better get on that because Brotherhood is probably the definitive version of FMA (even though it doesn't actually take away anything from a majority of the original FMA series; in fact, th original did the first-half extremely well, while Brotherhood rushed it within 10 or so episodes so that it could do what the original could not).

So I am actually watching the first series. I watched it when it aired back in the early 2000's (on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim) and I've been super nostalgic for those teenage years. I think it ties back to my cravings for the Springtime of Youth, as it was more easily obtainable back then. So I've rewatched all of my old favs (Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are always series I love rewatching), but also Inuyasha, Outlaw Star, and a few others. I am watching the original Fullmetal Alchemist simply because I never got past episode 30 or so (when it originally aired). It's time to remedy that!

I do know how it ends though, and am fully aware that it's the lesser of the two series. Brotherhood is apparently much more accurate to the manga, and from what I know, it doesn't get so wonky with the parallel universe / alternate reality stuff from the first one. I hear most of the voice actors (at least in the English dub) are the same, which is pretty cool.

That being said, I AM going to watch Brotherhood. I think I want to watch one or two short series first before I go back into the world of Fullmetal Alchemist, though. Netflix has been killing it with their anime, so I'm currently eyeing Children of the Whales. I've also been wanting to rewatch Last Exile; I saw half of it 12 or 13 years ago and never got around to finishing it.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #1165 on: May 12, 2018, 04:16:31 pm »
Hahahahahahahaha!!

"Programmers are EVIL" (a 40 mins presentation): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e6BKJPnb5o

This one's for Mauron, and possibly also utunnels if he's still around and happens to notice this post.

Just watched this. That was great. Websites should not be bigger than Doom.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 16, 2018, 02:29:02 am »
On a different note of amusement, I've never identified as a hipster, but I'm actually the worst kind of hipster: The kind who doesn't care about being "seen," and instead is genuinely put off by how so many people are into the same stuff, as though subconscious social conformity were a more powerful force than individuality. "Pop" hipsterism is all about creating a derivative social hierarchy that validates itself and its members by setting itself against "mainstream" culture. That's why so many hipsters are so similar to one another (those skinny jeans, I can't even! I can't even!!). It's just a microcosm of the pop culture it disdains, with different color paint on the walls.

#CallMeALavaTube
#BecauseIWasUndergroundBeforeItWasCool

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 16, 2018, 10:04:31 am »
I know you know this, for the sake of conversation... I think what you're referring to, J, isn't unique to the hipster movement. Everyone, deep down, wants to be unique and have things to themselves: bands, video games, etc. The whole, "I found it first" mindset.

Then, once a concept becomes mainstream, the hivemind loses it, abandons it, and runs off in pursuit of the next thing that makes them feel unique.

I feel like you articulated this really well:

"Pop" hipsterism is all about creating a derivative social hierarchy that validates itself and its members by setting itself against "mainstream" culture. That's why so many hipsters are so similar to one another (those skinny jeans, I can't even! I can't even!!)

I mean, think about it. Hipsters, chronic potheads, Harley Davison bikers, gym meatheads, etc. Hell, even anarchists fall into this category of "sameness." They all adopt this sub-culture that seemingly rejects everything else in the face of a common interest and physical identification traits (leather jackets, marijuana paraphernalia, yoga pants, etc).

For example, I saw a stay-at-home starter pack meme on reddit a few weeks back. Starbucks coffee, SUVs, yoga pants, blogging about parenting, etc. I cracked up, because this pretty much describes my wife to a T (minus the whole blogging thing, but she has talked about it from time to time). It's funny that the mama's have all adopted this "sameness" that lets them quickly identify each other out in the wild and flock.

Now, bring my random thoughts full circle... Counter-culture becomes culture is particularly bad with the hipster crowd. I mean, I like craft beer (or any beer, for that matter) as much as the next guy, but if you are trying to reject culture, only to reject another one, well... then... you've got a problem with hypocrisy.

I leave the lyrics to a song about the hypocrisy of counter-culture. It's by a hilarious ska band I loved in the late 90's / early 2000's, but their music has always stuck with me.

And yes, I was once a ska kid and part of the ska/punk rock scene. :D

You found a way, to draw a line
Between the world and you
Faking your identity its true. Did
You think the word "alternative"
Was only meant for the likes of
You? Do you think that they're too
Cool now? Being popular is lame
You're the one who made them popular
All their songs are still the same

You found them first, it made you
Stand apart, you know? But then
Everyone jumped on the same
Bandwagon, making you and
Average Joe. A lemming for the
Mediocre, you were just a plain
Old joker, status quo. Blame it on
The band now. If you prick them
Do they bleed? What's the point in
Playing what they want, if you
Won't let them succeed?

Do you remember where we all
Came from? Do you remember
What it's all about? When you
Made a point to be objective
Before you started writing
Handbook for the Sellout?

You sunk your worth in being
Different, just to be like your own
Kind. You traded in objectiveness
For the underground you follow
Blind

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:02 pm »
What I find so personally frustrating about my emotional investment in this is that, most of the time, what people like doesn't matter at all. A thing doesn't lose its cool just because it's widely loved. Yet I persist in feeling otherwise. >=[

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 17, 2018, 03:12:35 pm »
A thing doesn't lose its cool just because it's widely loved. Yet I persist in feeling otherwise.

Naw, that's just the beard talkin'.

:P