Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 98636 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #1140 on: August 22, 2013, 05:59:17 pm »
Speaking of things that were made popular...

Apparently German-Americans were the ones to introduce both hamburgers and hot dogs in America.  As a German-American, you are very much welcome.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1141 on: August 23, 2013, 02:25:32 am »
As a German-American, you are very much welcome.
....So you're a German-American too?!  :shock:

Okay, who's been giving out free citizenships? This could make my life a whole lot easier!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: August 23, 2013, 07:19:27 am »
Haha, well I'm German-American in that a hundred years ago most of my ancestors moved to the US from Germany and I'm pretty sure that was during the time of free citizenship so unless you have a TARDIS laying around I don't think it's possible to get that kind of thing anymore.  XD

The US is chock-full of American krauts, they hopped on over here from Bratwurst Land and bred like rabbits.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1143 on: August 29, 2013, 04:41:04 am »
So I was looking at the recent newsletter of Khan Academy in my inbox. And what do I find?

CrashCourse / SciShow's Hank Green appearing in KA videos, talking about Ecology!

Oh, things get better and better!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 19, 2014, 05:04:20 pm »
So in the midst of all the bad things happening due to the weather, I couldn't help but find this amusing:

The pic doesn't show it, but the storm's path started further south, and had always kept a constant northwest trajectory... until it abruptly decides to make an almost sharp 90 degree turn.

That's just so odd... it's like it deliberately doesn't want to hit California or something...

Legendary Biologist

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Searching the Unknown; Seeing the Hidden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 06, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »
Someone had me laughing and scratching my head with 'just a random joke' related to a few animes and Chrono series:

Maguts and Spike Spieguile.

Because I know Cowboy Bebop, I know what the second portmanteau refers to. But I don't know what the first portmanteau refers to...until I read some posts from a Berserk fan.

Maguts: Magus (Chrono Trigger) - Guts (Berserk)
Spike Spieguile: Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) - Guile (Chrono Cross)

The poster just says that this is just a random joke, but this seems to refer to the similarity in personalities between the characters with portmanteau'd names (all ISTPs, but Magus and Guts are darker, while Spike and Guile are lighter).

Mind. Blown.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 13, 2016, 03:32:47 am »
Jelly beans.

NERDS Bumpy Jelly Beans, to be exact.

So good.

*awkward silence ensues*

Sometimes it's the simple things.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1147 on: April 23, 2018, 12:36:07 pm »
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 23, 2018, 01:12:43 pm »
OMG  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 23, 2018, 03:17:08 pm »
I actually had to look up what the 57342G was referencing. Had no idea you could gameshark the game to get to that chest!

(For anyone else unfamiliar with it, there's a counter behind Truce Inn that is unreachable by normal means. If you can sneak past using a cheat, it contains 57342G.

All that being said...

I know that that would translate to something along the lines of go-nana-san-yon-ni, or 五七三四二. I'm not sure what would make a lone "g" sound in Japanese, as I'm only through hiragana and partway through learning katakana. Very little kanji at this point. Regardless, as far I know, all Japanese phonetics come from vowels tied to a parent sound (for example, I know of ga, ge, gi, go, gu but nothing else that would tie directly to a lone g). I don't know any kanji, but I wouldn't think kanji go into that sort of phonetics. A super quick Google-fu didn't turn up anything.

Japan can have the same word (or equivalent word) with various spells between katakana, hiragana, and/or kanji. Shi (死) means death in Japanese and has roughly 20 variants that I could found. None of them even remotely sound like the same phonetic pronunciation of the numbers. The closest would be ishi (一死), which sort of sounds like the number 1 (ichi). I looked up Konami and also tried to see if there was some nickname or alternate pronunciation that could tie back to the phonetics of the numbers. No joy.

I also found that pretty much the only proponent of this rumor is that Kenny. The same Kenny from the screenshot. Kenny Gorman.

I'm not sure how true this is...

But wait. Just as I was about to post this, I got a lead that helped me rethink this.

Someone named Alexander Kelly does claim that:

The 57342G is likely a Japanese phrase encoded in the numbers. "5" can be transliterated as "GO" or "KO", "7" would be "NA", "3" would be "MI" or "SA" or "SAN", "4" would be "YO" or "SHI" or "YON", and "2" would be "NI" or "FU". Not sure what they combine to, although the first three digits seem like "KONAMI"

And I realized that I was looking at it wrong. This could very well be word play.

5 = go, (五), which, as a phonetic letter is ご... if you remove the two little lines on the upper right, the phonetic letter becomes ko (こ)
7 = nana (七七) or shichi... cut it in half and you are left with just the katakana 七 (na)
3 = san (三), which, in looks awfully similar to ミ in katakana (or み in hiragana), which is mi

Add to that we've already established that the number 4 translates to yon (四)... but I realized that 4 can also be called shi. Shi can also mean death, as discussed above.

This theory is starting to take form, yes?

Finally, the number 2 is ni (二), or futsu/futatsu (二つ) in native Japanese, or fu for short. Fu means "to mark" in kanji (符).

So with some definite reading between the lines, this really could spell: Konami marked for death, or "death to konami." It requires some finagling, but it could be true with some word play.

Now, I reviewed the credits for Chrono Trigger and the head programmers are Katsuhisa Higuchi and Keizo Kokubo. They both worked for Square Enix in the SNES era and Higuchi even worked on Chrono Cross' battle system. I tried to see if either of them used to work for Konami and maybe held a grudge, but I couldn't find anything conclusive.

More to come...

EDIT: Well, I found Higuchi-san's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katsuhisa.higuchi?lst=100008801403964%3A100002408123230%3A1524507851.

Dude, I feel like a mega-stalker. Good thing I don't have a Facebook or else I'd be seriously considering reaching out to him.

Fuck that, we totally could reach out to him and ask him if he could give us an interview! A Chrono Compendium exclusive! How awesome would that be for the Chrono Compendium?!?! Although it doesn't look like his Facebook has been active in 4 years or so.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:30:14 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 23, 2018, 03:35:49 pm »
That is very interesting Boo. I actually want to learn Japanese writing because I eventually want to make and sell pieces with Japanese writing and art. I have everything, right down to the ink blocks, but it's all in Wisconsin right now. But I will have it all VERY SOON! I can't wait and I will definitely post work here once I get started, if you like.  :D

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1151 on: April 23, 2018, 03:58:51 pm »
But wait. Just as I was about to post this, I got a lead that helped me rethink this.

Boo, The Gentleman Detective8)

EDIT: Well, I found Higuchi-san's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/katsuhisa.higuchi?lst=100008801403964%3A100002408123230%3A1524507851.

Dude, I feel like a mega-stalker. Good thing I don't have a Facebook or else I'd be seriously considering reaching out to him.

Fuck that, we totally could reach out to him and ask him if he could give us an interview! A Chrono Compendium exclusive! How awesome would that be for the Chrono Compendium?!?! Although it doesn't look like his Facebook has been active in 4 years or so.

DO IT!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 23, 2018, 04:11:44 pm »
Oh, that would be pretty cool.

Now to be on topic...

Boo, The Gentleman Detective8)

Heh, it's amusing to read that when you have a Kaitou Kid pic.  :lol:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 23, 2018, 04:28:48 pm »
DO IT!

I am quite serious. Maybe my 2019 goal will be to track down some members of the Chrono Trigger development team and try to have a Compendium-sponsored series of interviews for the 2020 twenty-fifth anniversary. That would be cool.

That is very interesting Boo. I actually want to learn Japanese writing because I eventually want to make and sell pieces with Japanese writing and art.

I started with Duolingo and a copy of Rosetta Stone. Duolingo is free and will teach you some things, but it doesn't explain mechanics very well. You learn by doing.

Rosetta Stone is costly and I didn't love the learning structure; it literally throws you in and doesn't contextualize well. They said it helps you learn by immersion, but I guess I wanted more structure and gave up on it. I needed to better understand the basics of alphabets and numerics first.

That all being said, you don't need to know it for your art! Just make sure you properly vet it before you end up running with some of them. Context is everything! You don't want your painting to say "poop salad" when you tried to say "have a nice daaaay!" (like you see with some of these poorly translated Chinese tattoos, bahahaha)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:32:27 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #1154 on: April 23, 2018, 04:39:10 pm »
An alternative look at the treasure chest contents:

57342 in hex is DFFE. Since gold values are doubled in chests, that is stored as 6FFF. The max gold possible in a single chest is 7FFF. So that chest contains 0x1000, or 4096 less than the maximum gold it could hold.