Author Topic: Record of Religious Ridiculousness, or ITT: Batshit religious insanity  (Read 3478 times)

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
This thread is a complement to Lord J's Record of Right-Wing Crazy, for the record of noteworthy religious craziness. Although there is of course much potential for overlap between the two threads, and American Right-Wing Crazy™ is filed under Religious Insanity™, there is undoubtedly enough Religious Insanity™ that would be better placed here.

As with the other thread, please create a separate thread for this thread's discussion. Contributions to the Record only in here, please!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:10:03 pm by MsBlack »

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: Record of Religious Ridiculousness, or ITT: Batshit religious insanity
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:14:55 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNh9mGb2K4

This is a link to a video of someone just about to start the first of three successive forty-day fasts. As they describe, their fast was undertaken for religious reasons. They actually managed to do it, and comment on the last day that they 'wanna give God the praise, honor and glory for it.'

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:18:07 pm »
This is crazy, but I am not sure it is batshit crazy. I'll let you decide: http://www.standforchristmas.com/

If you are a business that is trying to be respectful of a variety of religions, you might well find yourself on this Christmas Naughty list. 'Cause it's disrespectful to be respectful, or something like that.

Being Christian, I'm quite happy to be wished a Merry Christmas, but it really isn't the responsibility of retailers to do so, nor are they the ones who ought to be establishing a "Christmas spirit" in a community. If Christians have to rely on GAP to sell the true meaning of Christmas, then while there is something wrong, it ain't with the retailer.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:49:10 pm »
Wow, that's really obnoxious.  I'm not surprised it's affiliated with Focus on the Family.  Gag me.

As a side note, it really bugs me when people get angry about "X-Mas".  "You're taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas" OMG."  Wow, learn about your own religion's history!  >_<

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:10:42 pm »
Do's and Don'ts for Killing Gentiles

"But, but, he's not representative of all Jews!"  :lol:

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »
I split out the discussion on premarital sex. This is a record thread, not a discussion thread.

Foolish Boy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 04:11:30 pm »
I agree with MsBlack. Besides, it's just been you guys arguing semantics with some ad hominem attacks  when the truth is you just disagree. I thought I had some good points and no one wanted to argue against them, but oh wells.

Here are a couple websites that are worth some laughs:

www.intelligentdesign.org/

http://www.albatrus.org/english/home.htm This website is very funny if you read any of the articles on hot topics like creation and homosexuality.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 04:53:37 pm »
 :picardno

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 05:07:39 pm »
Posted this in Good News, Bad News, but it belongs here as well.

Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Bill

More info here: http://www.civicdirect.net/civic-action/ugandas-anti-gay-bill-threatens-human-rights

There is a dangerous proposal that threatens the human rights of LGBT people in Uganda.

If passed, Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality Bill would start a witch-hunt for homosexuals in the country. Its punishments include:

* A 7 year jail sentence for consenting adults who have LGBT sex
* A life sentence for people in same-sex marriages
* Extradition and prosecution of LGBT Ugandans living abroad
* The death penalty for adults who have LGBT sex with minors or who communicate HIV via LGBT sex, regardless of condom usage
* Jail for anyone who doesn't report suspected LGBT activity within 24 hours

The bill also endangers HIV/AIDS programs, and may be exploited by those wanting to abolish these programs.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
"State of the Nation 2" by Ken Ham.

Being Christian myself, it is painful to post such a link, yet if anything qualifies as bat-shit crazy, this is it.

Ken Ham, from the "Answers in Genesis" group has decided to follow up President Obama's addresses to the nation with his own "perspective." If you are anything like me, you may find yourself arguing with the video from time to time as you watch.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 05:15:13 pm »
Few awesome examples from roaming spirituality in India: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7067989.ece

When the guru’s initial efforts failed, he accused Mr Edamaruku of praying to gods to protect him. “No, I’m an atheist,” came the response. The holy man then said he needed to conduct a ritual that could only be done at night, outdoors, and after he had slept with a woman, drunk alcohol and rubbed himself in ash.

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
  • "We are...the dreamers of Dreams."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 01:31:57 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM0oBuhTLRI

Good Old Kirk Cameron.

A bit old, but its worth mentioning anyway. Note: "Our kids can no longer pray in public...cannot freely open a Bible in schools" which is complete BS (was IN high school). He mentions college professors and scientists being more atheists than Christians, not taking into account that there might be a real reason for this. Also...Einstein was not explicitly a theist. As I think Dawkins adequately presents. I could go on.

And as a personal favorite (and to keep this from becoming a thread targeting Christianity alone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REr7XfoiKrs

God Scientologists are creepy.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 11:46:56 pm »

Not a church sign generator.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 05:53:48 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100331/ts_csm/291560
One church is performing anti-gay protests at funerals for soldiers killed in Iraq. I wonder if a similar group could get away with protesting churches at a pastor's funeral.