Author Topic: Why isn't Robo the same color as the R-Series?  (Read 1155 times)

Dark3mx

• Guardian (+100)
  • Those wings... I want them too.
    • View Profile
Why isn't Robo the same color as the R-Series?
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:07:08 pm »
If Robo is the same series as the rest of the robots in the game marked as the R-series, then how come he's not the same color? Also, what about Atropos?

I'm thinking that maybe he's just brown because of a slight layer of rust, since, after all, he was found broken down in an abandoned dome. Any suggestions/ideas?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: Why isn't Robo the same color as the R-Series?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »
Maybe they are repainted periodically, so Robo is just out of fashion.

:lol:

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:17:51 pm »
Yeah, I also think they get repainted every now and then, and Robo just missed it for so long.

As for Atropos, well, I don't know.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:22:16 pm »
Atropos is "female", so... just a different skin.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:04 am »
Robo, even though he had the serial number R-26Y, was not a member of the R-Series.

Ok, maybe I should restate that a bit. Given the R, he might have been an R-Series model, but his function was far different. Unlike the rest of the R-Series, who's main job was the guard the factory, his was to befriend humans and lead them to their execution at the Geno Dome. He was build much differently as well, and had gadgets and was stronger than the other R-Units.

This is portrayed in the fact that he actually had a name besides his serial number: Prometheus. Him and Atropos were the only two given a name by Mother Brain, and that's mainly because they served the same purpose.

To put it shortly, Robo had a different paint job because he was a higher rank than the R-Series units you fight in the derelict factory.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:15:09 pm »
R-66Y.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 04:43:13 pm »
To put it shortly, Robo had a different paint job because he was a higher rank than the R-Series units you fight in the derelict factory.

Although the ones in the factory share similar numbers. R-64Y, R-67Y, and R-69Y are the only ones they say about. Could they really be of an inferior rank, despite the similar numbers?

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 05:03:51 pm »
R-66Y.

Right, right. I knew that....

Although the ones in the factory share similar numbers. R-64Y, R-67Y, and R-69Y are the only ones they say about. Could they really be of an inferior rank, despite the similar numbers?

That's a good point, and I don't have a definite answer to that at the moment. The only thing I can think of is that Robo and Atropos were randomly selected from the R-Series for their duties. Whatever the reason, they did have different duties and that probably has something to do with their paint jobs. Perhaps there were others in the R-Series besides the 6 guards, Robo and Atropos, and they had different colors based on different duties they had.

I'll hold on to this theory for a bit, but I'll stand aside and let the more knowledgeable members throw their two cents in.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:00:17 pm »
I think it has to do with each of their jobs and functions. Robo was to study and examine the humans as he states when you first awaken him so his group's color was gold.
Then in the factory they seem to act as security droids so they appear to be blue.
Then Atropos was pink because she was a head at the facility of the Geno Dome.

As for Robo being a higher rank, that seems very likely since unlike the others, he also has a name like Atropos, Prometheus. the Mother Brain(their leader of course)seemed to only try and make herself have a personal connection with Atropos(since she states she had "mother" give her an examination or update or whatever, like it was personal rather than just a factory line assembly). And since Robo is referred to often as the same field as Atropos one can assume that Robo has the same deal occuring so I suppose that theory can also work that they're colored based on rank although that also plays in part with my theory of their jobs/functions.

Time and age could be a possibility, but I think based on all of the other droids that exist, plus the fact they're highly intelligent robots they only would need the serial numbers to determine the time they were developed. Not to mention all of the other models, having similar functions but at lower levels and the weaker the robot, the weaker their functions and the less they can do so I think this idea to be the least.

It'd be very easy to tell what the case with this is if they had at least one other class from the R-Series, like a different color and what kind of robot they are. If we had that then this could be determined instantly.
And no, the monster arena Robo recolor I do believe would count toward this.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:15:01 pm »
I'm of the opinion that he was just left out and alone for so long he rusted, and the others live in a sort of air-tight vacuum seal.

As for his primary function, he was supposed to kill humans until Lucca fixed/reprogrammed him. When he first wakes up, he states his new function, not the one Mother Brain gave him. Hence, "defective".

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 08:48:28 am »
I don't know much but it seems that the robots are painted when they get put to use, it looks like the r series guys are still either not being used or are all being used for security. Whoever controlled that dome wanted them blue and the same goes for Robo.

Twilight_Echo

• Iokan (+1)
  • Light and Shadow! Twilight Antipode!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 10:24:00 pm »
Well, blue seems to be a traditional color for security and police forces in the Chrono Trigger world, so maybe those specific R Series were just security bots and Robo and Atropos were different colors to designate their duties? Although if that's true it makes you wonder where the other R series are...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 01:25:10 pm »
Same series does not mean they are the same. Robo & Atropos both have abilities that exceed the other R-series. Bottom line: Who cares? It's just a color. Don't be so roboracist all the time, jeeze...:P