Author Topic: Doctor Who/Torchwood  (Read 12777 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor Who/Torchwood
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2013, 01:02:03 am »
I would really want to see a female Doctor, although not in the hands of Moffat.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2013, 02:56:01 pm »
I would really want to see a female Doctor, although not in the hands of Moffat.
Considering how he treats female characters? (Especially Irene Adler?)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:26 pm »
Right.  He's the main reason I've stopped watching DW.  I really do not like how he writes women, and I know I'm not alone in that (a lot of female DW fans I know have given up on the show out of frustration).  There's an interesting article I found about Moffat and female characters that sums up how I feel very well; if I can find it I'll link it.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2013, 09:02:23 am »
I always thought of Moffat as a brilliant writer / director, and his abilities took the show to a whole different level. Except for the few sexist instances (such as turning Irene Adler into a dominatrix, and essentially changing her complete characteristics from the canon), I barely noticed much of his tendencies and flaws towards writing women, and I still think he did a great job with Amy Pond, River Song and I'd confess I fell in love with Clara Oswald in her first appearance at Asylum of the Daleks (though that could be because I'm a man, and hence I'm not aware of it -- which probably explains why he wasn't aware of what he was doing either -- so I'd appreciate if you could open my eyes here). But from what you've said just now, looks like writing women is Moffat's kryptonite after all!

So in that sense, if one is to believe that Moffat has run the series into the ground with his sexism, then there's no way to go but up in this case. Writing the Doctor as a woman this time would give him the opportunity to overcome his kryptonite, and hence essentially grow as an artist. So in that sense, I think the fact that he's trying something new and different should be appreciated because this may open plenty of doors. If he succeeds, it not only benefits him but also the audience.

If he fails, well... Doctor Who is doomed. And so is Moffat's career.

But then again, the failure may not only be at his hands here. I've read some Youtube comments before where some fans showed concerns about a female Doctor, saying that they'd quit the show if this was the case. In other words, Moffat would not only need to work twice as hard but four-times as much in order to keep the show alive, simply because some of the audiences are biased puppies.

So here, I'm just holding on to hope.  :)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2013, 08:36:15 pm »
I couldn't find that specific article, but here's a good post I read a while ago about the sexism in DW: link.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2013, 02:35:27 am »
Just wanted to share this. Though, it's kinda heart-breaking that Matt Smith doesn't log in to social networks, or internet in general, from time to time.

[youtube]QNCTdQLgyuc[/youtube]

I vote this girl as my Twelfth Doctor.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2013, 01:41:17 pm »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2013, 01:14:21 pm »
So it's THIS GUY:

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2013, 03:48:13 pm »
W00t! Good thing David saved him at Pompeii!

So they're doing the Valeyard thing after all, huh?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2013, 07:40:00 am »
Haha! BBC America seems to be going bonkers with the idea of Peter Capaldi being the 12th Doctor. So now they're thinking of doing a whole Doctor Who American reboot. http://www.sharpenedsticks.com/2013/08/05/bbc-america-contemplates-going-rogue-over-12th-doctor-who-choice/

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2013, 02:04:54 pm »
Is that not a satire website? Like The Onion? As in, fake news...?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2013, 12:30:57 am »
Whoop! My apologies. Totally didn't notice that. I became too engrossed in the reactions of fans in the comments below. XD

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2013, 10:06:06 am »
Whoop! My apologies. Totally didn't notice that. I became too engrossed in the reactions of fans in the comments below. XD

Teehee, it's all good. I was duped at first too!

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:45 pm »
The thing that's really grinding my gears about Whovians right now is how upset they are that Peter Capaldi was in Fires of Pompeii, saying it doesn't make sense, it'll break the storyline, etc.  I guess they've totally failed to realize that Karen Gillan was in the same damn episode?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2013, 01:22:40 pm »
The thing that's really grinding my gears about Whovians right now is how upset they are that Peter Capaldi was in Fires of Pompeii, saying it doesn't make sense, it'll break the storyline, etc.  I guess they've totally failed to realize that Karen Gillan was in the same damn episode?

Well, good thing the character can change his face! Maybe the Doctor just really liked that Pompeiian guy's face and subconsciously "chose" it as his own. Considering what franchise we're talking about, there's an explanation for almost anything. I think it only could have damaged the story if he played a Doctor first, and a side character after. Like if Eccleston just showed up a new episode as a fruit salesman or something and nobody acknowledged in the show that it was weird, I'd say they jumped the shark.

Besides, Freema Agyeman played both Martha AND her identical cousin in one episode. That's FAR more ridiculous. Identical cousins. I think you'd need two sets of twins and completely impossible odds to pull off anything remotely resembling the possibility of identical cousins.

The Pompeii episode is one of my all-time favorites, and incidentally, the only thing I've ever seen Capaldi in. I hope he's good.