Poll

What do you think about this?

It's a good try, but it's not going to happen.
13 (68.4%)
I can't wait for this to come out thank you!!
3 (15.8%)
WHY RUIN IT?!
0 (0%)
Cool!
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: June 03, 2005, 01:37:17 am

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: The Movie  (Read 2505 times)

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger: The Movie
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:36:27 am »
Yes, it is a fan movie, but hey, it's going to be AWESOME.

I would like to start off by saying that production has just started. We're working on the screenplay and script according to the game. We're planning on making it a trilogy considering the length of the game, but we might make it into more movies considering, well, the length of the game. The website isn't up yet, so we have a temporary one on freewebs:

http://www.freewebs.com/mjhprod/chrono.htm

I can assure you we will have alot more on the site once we have screenshots, parts of the script, screenplay pictures, slides, a preview and alot more.

EDIT: Please don't spread the word. I dont want to get a C&D letter yet..

Jake

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctfansite.proboards37.com
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 12:14:53 pm »
How are you planning on doing this? Is it going to be animated? What type of animator do you have?

Wanderer359

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 06:21:04 pm »
Quote from: Jake
How are you planning on doing this? Is it going to be animated? What type of animator do you have?

I'd also like to find out this info as well. I've been fiddling around with ideas for a CT movie/animation/whatever for awhile, so it's always good to hear that other's are working on similar projects.

(I made a "trailer" for said project, but due to my lackluster drawing abilities and time restraints on the original version of it, it looked like crap. I've been slowly revamping it so that it's actually a postable trailer and something I could base my ideas off of for a larger Flash project...)

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 03:36:09 am »
Quote from: Wanderer359

I'd also like to find out this info as well. I've been fiddling around with ideas for a CT movie/animation/whatever for awhile, so it's always good to hear that other's are working on similar projects.

(I made a "trailer" for said project, but due to my lackluster drawing abilities and time restraints on the original version of it, it looked like crap. I've been slowly revamping it so that it's actually a postable trailer and something I could base my ideas off of for a larger Flash project...)

Okay, we're going to make it an animated film, and we fill most likely do it on flash, fireworks, windows movie maker, or possibly a combination of the 3. We are leaning more to Flash more than any others, considering it's a very good program, but we're not very good at it. I will probably take a course later. But for now we're still working on the script. I will post more here or in another thread about production later on.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 05:34:08 pm »
Are you going to have to scetch it out from like, sketch to sketch

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 10:39:23 pm »
While this is an excellent idea, I really find it hard to believe that it can be done. The amount of time and effort needed will most likely be the downfall of the project, unless SE gets to it first. I hate to sound pessemistic, but it is just too large of a thing to be handled by a fan project.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 01:08:07 pm »
Quote from: SilentMartyr
While this is an excellent idea, I really find it hard to believe that it can be done. The amount of time and effort needed will most likely be the downfall of the project, unless SE gets to it first. I hate to sound pessemistic, but it is just too large of a thing to be handled by a fan project.

well we all have our doubts, but im not going to stop. it no doubt will take a long time.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 06:32:43 pm »
when did you start on this? because me and my friends started working on a movie of chrono trigger to and are getting really far. looks great.

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 06:27:53 pm »
Quote from: Anonymous
when did you start on this? because me and my friends started working on a movie of chrono trigger to and are getting really far. looks great.

cool. we just started only about a month ago, and we're finishing up the script and will start animating soon. I already started animating on a preview for it, and it will be posted on the chrono movie temporary website (http://www.freewebs.com/mjhprod/chrono.htm). I would love to hear more about your movie. I saw another person was making one too. Is it animated? Do you have a website for it?

Jake

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • http://ctfansite.proboards37.com
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 09:31:54 am »
I was the guest who asked that question by the way, i just forgot to log in. But our animations is with cencors that you would put on your joints and would copy movement. Then you would upload it to a computer and connect a drawing that you have drew (Or i just got one of the internet) and connect all the joints with your character. And it would make it move with it. there is 1 slight problem though. We have an artist on our team, so you would need one too, and you would have to sketch every little angle out. My website is just a forum because we wasted all our money on that software its,

http://ctfansite.proboards37.com

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 01:20:09 pm »
Motion Capture? I would have been of the impression that that is too costly and high level for any small group to do. Usually only movies and games (ie. Gollum in Lord of the Rings) employ such methods. So is this CG, then, or classical animation? I have never heard of such a thing being done by anything less than those with millions of dollars to spend.

By the way, how old is your group? I saw that the group that is making the other one, ie. the one to whom this thread belongs, is all under the age of 14. That lends me some serious doubts, as I know that my own level of artistic understanding, especially in so far as written dialogue and the like, was quite lacking at that age. My own little 11 year old sister, who is the best writer her age that I have ever seen, could not accomplish something such as a script even when will be 14, simply because she will lack the experience and understanding of words and forms. I, who am a decent writer in my own right now - or so I should like to think - would have grave difficulty in putting together a cohesive script of such a vast story, and not appear either childish/simplistic or overly formal (the latter of which would perhaps be most commonly attributed me.) And this is only so far as script writing is concerned, which is nearest my own understanding (as a would-be writer.)

Quote from: MitchelHunt
we just started only about a month ago, and we're finishing up the script and will start animating soon

That particularly concerns me. I cannot see anything of such required length (what is the length?) being completed in less than a year. To actually write the script, I would think, would take months, and twice that for editing, and re-editing, until every sentence and line and part is absolutely perfect and as you wish it. A month is likely not even enough time to step away, leave it be, then come back with a cleared head and re-edit. That is my view of such things as someone with a few years writing experience (on the CT vein in fanfiction, and on other things.)

The rest of what goes into such a thing, such as technical expertise, artistic ability, acting ability, etc. I would have difficulty commenting on.

My apologies for my doubts, but I am not sure that anyone of such a young age have the experience to create something like this. I may be wrong, I speak only of what I know for myself.

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 04:19:48 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Motion Capture? I would have been of the impression that that is too costly and high level for any small group to do. Usually only movies and games (ie. Gollum in Lord of the Rings) employ such methods. So is this CG, then, or classical animation? I have never heard of such a thing being done by anything less than those with millions of dollars to spend.

By the way, how old is your group? I saw that the group that is making the other one, ie. the one to whom this thread belongs, is all under the age of 14. That lends me some serious doubts, as I know that my own level of artistic understanding, especially in so far as written dialogue and the like, was quite lacking at that age. My own little 11 year old sister, who is the best writer her age that I have ever seen, could not accomplish something such as a script even when will be 14, simply because she will lack the experience and understanding of words and forms. I, who am a decent writer in my own right now - or so I should like to think - would have grave difficulty in putting together a cohesive script of such a vast story, and not appear either childish/simplistic or overly formal (the latter of which would perhaps be most commonly attributed me.) And this is only so far as script writing is concerned, which is nearest my own understanding (as a would-be writer.)

Quote from: MitchelHunt
we just started only about a month ago, and we're finishing up the script and will start animating soon

That particularly concerns me. I cannot see anything of such required length (what is the length?) being completed in less than a year. To actually write the script, I would think, would take months, and twice that for editing, and re-editing, until every sentence and line and part is absolutely perfect and as you wish it. A month is likely not even enough time to step away, leave it be, then come back with a cleared head and re-edit. That is my view of such things as someone with a few years writing experience (on the CT vein in fanfiction, and on other things.)

The rest of what goes into such a thing, such as technical expertise, artistic ability, acting ability, etc. I would have difficulty commenting on.

My apologies for my doubts, but I am not sure that anyone of such a young age have the experience to create something like this. I may be wrong, I speak only of what I know for myself.

i understand why you would doubt. but hehe, by finishing up the script i actually meant that we were finishing up a couple of scenes and will start animating those before going further with the script. ^^; i know it kind of sounds stupid but i REALLY have the urge to start animating this. (I'm the artist by the way). Oh and we have more staff now. A couple of them are over 21 (kind of weird for them to be helping with a movie made my 14 years olds, but they're my friends) and will be helping with the script and animation. There are only 2 artists right now, so we are going to need quite a few more if we expect to finish anytime soon.

Also, about your doubts. I might be only 13 (yes, 13) but i am definitely up to the challenge. I am told I'm a very good artist (especially since im 13) and i have an eye for detail. I am experienced in writing as well. Not the best, but then again, that IS why we have more writers. (f.y.i, on the mjh productions website, where it says staff, thats not the whole staff. just the leading staff).

Anyway, all in all, we don't expect to finish very soon. But seeing as how it is summer vacation, im probably going to be working on this 20/7. I would say 24/7, but i have church on sunday.

I was the guest who asked that question by the way, i just forgot to log in. But our animations is with cencors that you would put on your joints and would copy movement. Then you would upload it to a computer and connect a drawing that you have drew (Or i just got one of the internet) and connect all the joints with your character. And it would make it move with it. there is 1 slight problem though. We have an artist on our team, so you would need one too, and you would have to sketch every little angle out.

well who said i didn't have an artist? I said it's going to be animation didnt I? markus and I are the artists of the team. Also I am aware that i will have to DRAW every frame. Not sketch. If that IS what you mean because im not doing it with censors.

Ol' fashion animation. Well, minus the black and white and all of the celluloids. it's going to be drawn on the computer with my wacom tablet due to the lack of celluloids. We only have 40 which isn't even enough for one scene unless you go cheap and use the same animations over and over again throghout the movie but with different dialogue. And celluloids would cost probably about 300,000 bucks for 3 movies. I'd rather pay it cheap for $115 just by buying a wacom tablet.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 01:28:08 pm »
I don't know, not having a complete script and then animating is really a dangerous path to go down. You could waste countless hours doing a scene and then be greatly dissapointed when you have to cut it out because there is a change in the script.

There is a project going on at OCRemix where the CT songs are being redone in syphony style, and the song structures are based from a script written for a movie. The script writer said himself that it took two years to write his script, and he wouldn't want to put the movie into production because he doesn't feel it is complete. This is no regular person who is writing, he is in college (or already graduated I cant remember which) getting a degree in writing, focusing on movie scripts. You guys might be the best writers possible, but take that to heart.

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 05:42:02 pm »
I don't know, not having a complete script and then animating is really a dangerous path to go down. You could waste countless hours doing a scene and then be greatly dissapointed when you have to cut it out because there is a change in the script.

There is a project going on at OCRemix where the CT songs are being redone in syphony style, and the song structures are based from a script written for a movie. The script writer said himself that it took two years to write his script, and he wouldn't want to put the movie into production because he doesn't feel it is complete. This is no regular person who is writing, he is in college (or already graduated I cant remember which) getting a degree in writing, focusing on movie scripts. You guys might be the best writers possible, but take that to heart.

Yeah I read about that earlier. But when I write I kind of right...eh....differently? yes this is very dangerous. But before I start animating I make SURE that the script (part) I'm doing is perfect. But I can always just add some more mouth movements later for more script.

*sigh* Sorry I always sound so unproffessional, but I can never put my words into text. See? like that. I should've said something different. :roll:

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 07:14:06 pm »

Wow.  I feel really lucky to have graduated college and all.  And two whole years for one script?  Holy shit, I didn't think that was physically possible.  Like taking a 4-hour long dump. [/PattonOswaltjoke]

No, it didn't take two years to write the script, and I wrote it right after graduating high school.  But the rest is rather accurate.  I have training the equivalent of a college degree, and three years of professional screenwriting classes under my belt.  No, the script is not done (I'm doing major edits very soon), and no, I don't want a movie made from it.  Because it wouldn't work.

There are some things that should just be left to the imagination.  If every Hollywood movie that had a sex scene portrayed the whole thing from beginning to end, every blockbuster would be X or above.  The same thing here.  Leave Chrono Trigger: The Movie to your imagination.  No possible realization in a two-hour format could possibly do every bit of the game any good.  You'd just ruin the whole thing for everyone.

Which is why a script and a soundtrack is as far as my project is going to go.  

~.C.S.~