Author Topic: how do you pronounce these peoples' names?  (Read 24603 times)

Daniel Krispin

how do you pronounce these peoples' names?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 02:49:51 pm »
Quote from: Luminaire85
No objections from me, though it will be hard for me to stop saying LUCK-ah.

That's how I say Lavos. I suppose you could also pronounce it LAY-vose, but LAW-vose sounds more sinister to me.

Lavos comes from Ayla's 'La', and 'Vos', thus, 'Lavos'. In that case, the word must be looked at as a mingling of these two, and the pronounciation of each seperate must be considered. In that case, 'La' is almost certainly 'Lah', not 'Lay', thus it is 'LAH-vos'.

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 03:15:22 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Quote from: Luminaire85
No objections from me, though it will be hard for me to stop saying LUCK-ah.

That's how I say Lavos. I suppose you could also pronounce it LAY-vose, but LAW-vose sounds more sinister to me.

Lavos comes from Ayla's 'La', and 'Vos', thus, 'Lavos'. In that case, the word must be looked at as a mingling of these two, and the pronounciation of each seperate must be considered. In that case, 'La' is almost certainly 'Lah', not 'Lay', thus it is 'LAH-vos'.

would you mean like i spelled it? i think i know what you mean by "LAH". you mean like "la la la (someone singing?)." and you mean vos like "Vose"? not, "vosee", but just like "vase" except take out the a and replace it with "oh"

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 03:23:54 pm »
Only places where I would disagree with your pronouncations is where you us a "-iss" sound where we have a "-us" ending.  Such as Janus: Jay-niss and Magus: Ma-giss.

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 04:30:40 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
Only places where I would disagree with your pronouncations is where you us a "-iss" sound where we have a "-us" ending.  Such as Janus: Jay-niss and Magus: Ma-giss.

do you mean like "us" as in "all of us"?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 04:37:03 pm »
yes.

From how I am reading it, things with a "-us" ending would be pronounced like us.  It is that way in Latin also, I believe.  I am reading "-iss" as would would say the word "is".

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 08:49:00 pm »
It's not the high u as in 'us' in Latin, I don't think. I figure it to be nearer the uss in 'puss'. It might also, however, be a long u, as some words have a longer u rather than shorter (ie. moriture) although I'm not certain when this actually occurs.

The reason I put an -iss is that most people slurring it quickly would say it as such. Like the word 'largest'; it has an e, although the sound most people make in saying it quickly is nearer a short i.

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 08:55:38 pm »
yes.

From how I am reading it, things with a "-us" ending would be pronounced like us.  It is that way in Latin also, I believe.  I am reading "-iss" as would would say the word "is".

i dont mean like in the work "is" but the word "hiss". magiss. i dont know, thats the way i always say it :D

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 10:03:51 pm »
This came up at CTNP a while ago, too bad the board attack deleted that thread so I can't paste my answer. Raspberries.

Crono - Crow no
Marle - Marl
Lucca - Loo ka
Ayla - A la
Magus - Mah guss
Melchior - mel ki or
Belthasar - bell tha czar

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2005, 02:43:53 am »
And by the way, Augustus wasn't his name either - Augustus means 'revered', and was a name given to him by the Senate. His name was Octavius, or something near. But you probably know that, considering that you seem to know the rest of his name and all.

Thanks for the acknowledgement, although I only know of this now because my latin teacher told us all about it on wednesday, or some day last week, because she gave us a worksheet that said "C. Julius" (C's used instead of G for names since they didn't start off with Gs, I think, and the initial stands for the first name, for those who don't know).
And Octavius was his father's name (does anyone know if this is where Dr. Octavian in Spiderman came from?) though I can't remeber his first name.
I know that most people say "Jupiter" with a J sound when referring to the planet, and Iupiter when referring to the Roman god, so are you supposed to say Ianus when referring to the god? If you are, I wish I knew that before I read Castle in the Attic so I wouldn't constantly think it's a J sound.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2005, 05:53:27 am »
My Go:

Crono- K ro no
Lucca- Lew Kah
Marle- Mar El (Like the pokemon)
Ayla- Aie La
Magus- Mag us
Schala- Sha La
Melchior- Mel chi your
Nu- Neew
Belthasar- Bell Far Zar

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2005, 12:14:53 pm »
In my 2 years of Latin, I learned that they pronounced V's like W's, didn't have J's, I think C's sound like K's...  But I don't recall anything different about -us.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2005, 12:41:14 pm »
In my 2 years of Latin, I learned that they pronounced V's like W's, didn't have J's, I think C's sound like K's...  But I don't recall anything different about -us.

Two years of Latin? That makes me so envious. Andl, then, you've got quite a bit on me. All I know is what my father has told me and what I have read in certain books. One day I hope to actually learn the language, but at the moment I'm too busy with other language.

The u being long or short I actually saw in a book of quotes in Latin, where the pronounciations were given - wherein I also learned of the correct pronounciations for the v's and c's. Some where shown as short while others were long. Like I said, though, I do not know about -us. If you cannot remember anything, then it is likely simply the similar sound.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2005, 01:16:58 pm »
But then agian, I can't remmber alot of stuff from my Latin classes :)

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2005, 01:57:58 pm »
Quote from: Shadow_Dragon
And by the way, Augustus wasn't his name either - Augustus means 'revered', and was a name given to him by the Senate. His name was Octavius, or something near. But you probably know that, considering that you seem to know the rest of his name and all.

Thanks for the acknowledgement, although I only know of this now because my latin teacher told us all about it on wednesday, or some day last week, because she gave us a worksheet that said "C. Julius" (C's used instead of G for names since they didn't start off with Gs, I think, and the initial stands for the first name, for those who don't know).
And Octavius was his father's name (does anyone know if this is where Dr. Octavian in Spiderman came from?) though I can't remeber his first name.
I know that most people say "Jupiter" with a J sound when referring to the planet, and Iupiter when referring to the Roman god, so are you supposed to say Ianus when referring to the god? If you are, I wish I knew that before I read Castle in the Attic so I wouldn't constantly think it's a J sound.

I severely doubt it, I think that Stan was going for a Eastern European name there. He has a way in the Spider-Man comics to have peoples first and last names first letters match. Peter Parker, Otto Octavius, John Jonah Jameson, Robbie Robertson, to name a few. Any connection is purely coincidental I would assume, since I see no connection between Ceasar and Otto chearacterwise. Otto is a crimnal soley for the purpose of funding his experiments, which are so off the wall that he could never get fudning for them.

Sorry to go off tagent but Spider-Man is right behind Chrono Trigger in the amount of knowledge that takes up my brain.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2005, 02:13:17 pm »
Hes named Octavius because he gets 8 arms.