Author Topic: How does the Enertron work?  (Read 5879 times)

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
How does the Enertron work?
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:23:47 am »
When Crono and his friends go to 2300A.D. they learn that the people of that time are always hungry.

The Enertron keeps them alive, but how does it keep them from dieing of hunger?
I understand that the Enertron allows them to get a full night's sleep in seconds, but the people of 2300A.D. should still be droping dead like flys from hunger.

So how does the Enertron keep them alive?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: How does the Enertron work?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:09:18 pm »
The people in 2300 AD had access to SOME kind of food.  The Enertron only gives them rest--it isn't supposed to keep them alive.  Where they got the food to live, I don't know.  They probably scavenged.  Maybe they traveled out to the ruins from time to time and brought back some rats.

People in the future are portrayed not much differently than poor people of today.  They're always hungry, but they make do with the little bits of food they can get--even if it's leftovers other people have thrown away, or rats and cats and dogs.  They're alive, but just barely.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:30:19 pm »
Hunger is signaled by the stomach (and other factors). If energy and nutrition was delivered to the body directly, by passing the stomach, the stomach would never be able to send full signals to the brain but only hungry ones.

If that excluded hydration, then that would nicely explain why everyone was sick. Eating is a necessary part of maintaining good intestinal flora. No food, no good intestinal flora. But drinking could introduce bad bacteria. They too would lack food, limiting their capabilities, but they'd still make people sick.

Hmm...

Part of sleep is REM. To mimic that, the Enertron would have to be affecting the brain. This seems like it might be a precursor to the records of fate.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:39:23 pm »
Part of sleep is REM. To mimic that, the Enertron would have to be affecting the brain. This seems like it might be a precursor to the records of fate.

Hmm, interesting.  Now that you mention it, that could be plausible.

LavosFan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 08:40:56 pm »
Hunger is signaled by the stomach (and other factors). If energy and nutrition was delivered to the body directly

How would the Enertron provide nutrition and energy with no organic matter as fuel or something?

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:20:40 pm »
who said it was organic?

LavosFan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »
Well I can't imagine a body being able to get nurtured without any carbon, but its the future so maybe the thing just transforms dirt somehow? I wouldn't know   :shock:

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 04:21:08 pm »
As the text states, the Entertron gives you a full night's rest in moments, but still leaves you hungry. It only recovers your strength, it will not give you nutrition. They eat what they can, the get no substance from the Entertron.

Personally, I think the Entertron is just a game mechanic to replace inns. If you have a lack of food, you want to sleep as long as possible so that you don't feel the pangs of hunger. Getting a full night's rest in moments will mean you're awake for longer thus hungry for longer. Yes, you can scavenge for food more, but you won't need to scavenge as much if you're asleep.

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:35:59 am »
Lucca is quoted as saying "You don't know how long the Enertron'll hold out. Those seeds might be your only hope."  The seeds in question are presumably for some kind of edible plant.  If Lucca is proposing real food as a back-up plan for the potential loss of the Enertron, then that clearly implies that the machine is currently the only thing that's investing them with daily nutrition.  Sure, maybe they find scraps of food once in a great while, but their mainstay is the Enertron.

As for how it works, such nutrients are likely delivered directly to the bloodstream, which would still leave them feeling hungry as per Thought's explanation.  His point on hydration is also valid, but I think the more likely reason for the people being sickly is simply that the Enertron does not provide all of the nutrients necessary for optimal human living, only the bare essentials.  It cannot synthesize everything.  As a result, they are malnurished.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 11:40:32 am »
 :oops:
i donīt even think that!

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:52:45 pm »
Maybe it's alluding to the health benefits of getting regular restful sleep?

Side theory: Robo doesn't have magic, so all of his heal beams use Enertron technology.

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 07:30:21 am »
Side theory: Robo doesn't have magic, so all of his heal beams use Enertron technology.

HUNGER BEAM GO!

idioticidioms

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 01:35:37 pm »
Lucca is quoted as saying "You don't know how long the Enertron'll hold out. Those seeds might be your only hope."  The seeds in question are presumably for some kind of edible plant.  If Lucca is proposing real food as a back-up plan for the potential loss of the Enertron, then that clearly implies that the machine is currently the only thing that's investing them with daily nutrition.  Sure, maybe they find scraps of food once in a great while, but their mainstay is the Enertron.

As for how it works, such nutrients are likely delivered directly to the bloodstream, which would still leave them feeling hungry as per Thought's explanation.  His point on hydration is also valid, but I think the more likely reason for the people being sickly is simply that the Enertron does not provide all of the nutrients necessary for optimal human living, only the bare essentials.  It cannot synthesize everything.  As a result, they are malnourished.

See, that's a different take on it than what I thought when Lucca said that. What I thought she meant when she said they don't know how long the Enertron will hold out is using the Enertron to help grow the food. Your explanation makes more sense, though.