Poll

What do you believe is the source of the Mystic's magic?

Lavos
The Planet
Their Aliens
Magus
Other (please comment)

Author Topic: What gives the Mystics magic?  (Read 8536 times)

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
Re: What gives the Mystics magic?
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2009, 07:55:35 pm »
And that means that all the mystics will die? It lands on the earth.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2009, 08:05:00 pm »
Really? The cutscene showed the mounting mostly falling into the water. Besides, I never wrote that the fall of the mountain = death of the creatures in it.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2009, 04:46:58 am »
The cutscene showed the mounting mostly falling into the water.

agreed. i just watched over a video, and the bigger portion of the mountain is hovering over the water as it falls, though the screen blacks out before it hits completely.  Oddly enough, it also doesn't show how Crono and team got off the falling mountain, Melchoir just suggests that they get out of there.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2009, 11:56:59 am »
Am I just remembering incorrectly, or does a non-floating mountain appear north of the Earthbound Village after Mt. Woe falls?

Additionally, if Mt. Woe survived the Fall of Zeal in the Crono-meddled timeline, does that mean that at the start of the game there should be a Melchi-corpse trapped in ice somewhere in 1000 AD? A Zealean Encino Man, as it were? Or would Melchior not have been imprissoned if the Crono Co hadn't been meddling in 600AD (if which case, would Mt. Woe have been fleating in a pre-meddle timeline?)

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2009, 02:58:23 pm »
Map of 600 AD

Map of 12,000 BC after the Ocean Palace

Map of 12,000 BC before the Ocean Palace

The "before the crash" one was interesting. I never realize that Mt. Woe was on the western half of the 12,000 BC map. Judging by the position in which it fell, it probably became the Pt. Vortex area.

Magus' castle would have been on a landform directly above where the Ocean Palace was situated. I suppose this makes sense, given that that's where he summoned him, but it seems weird to me that the Ocean Palace and Magus' castle are situated to the northwest of where Lavos crashed into the earth.

In any event, the water-level of the place where it fell in both the Before and After picture are fairly shallow, and there are plenty of small isolated landmasses. It's not impossible that they island hopped and survived until the Guardians and Porreans ran them off.

Interesting point: We're led by Melchior's arrival in 1000 AD Medina to believe that Janus arrived in the Truce Canyon gate area, where he was met by Ozzie, who tried to ambush him. What happens between then and 600 AD when Magus attempts to summon Lavos is up to debate, but at least a few things can be agreed upon: Magus became leader of the Mystics, probably through his skill with magic, built a fort where his castle is, and where the ruins of the Ocean Palace lied.

None of the monsters in Truce Canyon can use magic, but the ones that serve in Magus' army can. I'm starting to really favor the "Magus gave the Mystics magic" argument.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2009, 05:09:57 pm »
No Melchior was never frozen in the real timeline, because the Prophet never came.