Poll

Did you ever cry while playing the games?

I did.  I admit it.
No, never.
I teared up a little / became choked up, but no tears spilled over.
Cry?  More like bawled.

Author Topic: Did you ever cry while playing the games?  (Read 9710 times)

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Did you ever cry while playing the games?
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 04:06:05 pm »
I cried in Chrono Cross, with Fate and Prothemeus (spelling?). It took a while for me to remember who Prothemeus is, but after I did it was tears and sweet, sweet revenge.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2009, 06:37:04 pm »
I cried in Chrono Cross, with Fate and Prothemeus (spelling?). It took a while for me to remember who Prothemeus is, but after I did it was tears and sweet, sweet revenge.
Normally I'm not nit picky, but since you asked, I'm pretty sure it's Prometheus.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2009, 12:19:24 pm »
I'm a total sap in movies and books, but video games...not so much. I think I cried in Baten Kaitos and the Klonoa games, but CT (and so far, CC) did not move me to tears, though I was a little choked up at times (the death of all those fairies...).

Usually the endings get me choked up, but like I said, I don't often cry for video game characters.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2009, 10:00:40 pm »
I cried at Where the Wild Things Are!

wait... not a video game...

Battler

• Iokan (+1)
  • Breast Sommelier
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 02:25:43 am »
The "Deaths" of Robo in both games (his goodbyes at the Millenial Fair and the destruction of the Prometheus Circuit), made me cry like a baby.

;_____________________________________________________;

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 07:48:38 pm »
I teared a bit at the part of Chrono Trigger when Crono sacrifices himself and is vaporized DBZ style by Lavos, and when Marle was in my party when he was brought back to life. That was both sorrowful and bittersweet.

Then at the ending of the Chrono Trigger DS, as Zeality said. That was sad in so many ways.

The only other series I ever really cried/almost cried was Super Paper Mario, because the story of Lord Blumiere (Count Bleck) and his beloved Timpani reminded me of myself in a way, and the fact that it was heart wrenching. The Romeo and Juliet of the Mario world.

IrishReaper

• Iokan (+1)
  • We have met the enemy and it is ourselves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 06:29:48 pm »
The ending to Chrono Cross.  :cry: That song, Radical Dreamers, just made me tear up. The scenes in Tokyo at the very end of the game made me cry out of pure wonder. Just the confirmation of my theory that the two dimensions of Chrono Cross are paralell to ours just made me so emotional... It was great. Oh, and at the Dead Sea. I felt bad for Miguel, though his battle music was so freakin epic.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 06:32:29 pm »
The ending to Chrono Cross.  :cry: That song, Radical Dreamers, just made me tear up.

Ohhhh, no kidding.  That song is just heart-wrenchingly beautiful.

Echo

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Time marches on, but the clocks are broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2009, 02:19:11 pm »
Hmm, yeah.

First time was when I saw the FMV with Crono being killed. Without the FMV it was a sad scene, but the FMV really improved it. Even seeing Magus' expression, and seeing Schala lieing there on the ground, helped the environment greatly. But what I thought was really awesome, was when Crono remembered Janus saying "One amongst you... Will shortly perish". I couldn't keep my eyes dry watching that.

The second time was some tears of joy during the ending of Chrono Trigger, hearing "To Far Away Times" while watching the Epoch flying through the nightsky. Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

The third time, I believe, was while playing Chrono Cross, that scene with Serge on the S.S. Invincible, after Lynx' attack on Hermit's Hideout, and when he remembers all his times together with Kid. Back then I really loved Serge and Kid together as a couple, and I really thought he cared so deeply about her.

The fourth time, Chrono Cross orphanage scene. Not so much the first part as the last, with Serge and Kid standing on the hill overlooking the flames, with the little Kid saying "Are you going to go away? Are you going to leave me?" and "Your cheek... It's wet...?" With that beautiful music behind it, Star Stealing Girl. I couldn't keep my eyes dry.

Finally, during the Chrono Cross ending. Schala's whole speech and all that, and the feeling of accomplishment, the wedding picture, and the beautiful song Radical Dreamers... Stunning. Simply stunning.

So yeah, I had some emotional moments while playing Trigger and Cross for the first time. I don't know if you can really say crying, but my eyes did go foggy and wet. I don't care if that makes me a sissy or something; I like to think of it as the story being conveyed very well to the player. Kato really did an amazing job. For Chrono Cross too.

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2010, 01:11:41 am »
Never cried in the Chrono series, though watching the Magus/Schala scenes in Crimson Echoes and the Dream Devourer scenes on the DS did strike a powerful chord within me because of my relationship with my own sister.

I may have cried when Aeris died. I don't remember if I did.

I did cry during Rocky Balboa. That's all the tears over ficitional characters I can think of at the moment.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2010, 04:53:33 am »
I cry whenever in CC whenever I fight the Time Devourer and realize what the character designer did to Schala.
Dayuuum straight! Give us our early 20s, blue-haired, full dress Schala, darn it!

Early 20s?  I always thought she looked about 14 or 15.

And then she was like ten. lol
I'd like to see them explain THAT.

I will always have the heart of a 16 year old, no matter how frail I may become in the coming decades...

Never cried in the Chrono series, though watching the Magus/Schala scenes in Crimson Echoes and the Dream Devourer scenes on the DS did strike a powerful chord within me because of my relationship with my own sister.

I may have cried when Aeris died. I don't remember if I did.

I did cry during Rocky Balboa. That's all the tears over ficitional characters I can think of at the moment.

I don't believe I've seen Janus around much, now that it comes to mind... I hope he is safe.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:56:04 am by Princess Schala Zeal »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »
I did cry during Rocky Balboa.

You 'n' me both, brotha!  The whole "It's about how much you can take" speech and the ending did me in.  Hair on its ends.  I thought that (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpTD9AMLGCs) that scene stole the show, though.  Just stoked to see other Rocky fans...

BearFrog

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2010, 10:26:04 pm »
I did the "It's how much you can take" speech as a scene in my Drama class. I played Rocky and my (at the time) girlfriend played Rocky Jr. The scenes that got me were the scene at the beginning where Rocky goes to the ruins of the ice rink and when he breaks down crying in front of Paulie at the factory. Those were the scenes that shed tears from my eyes.

Fun Fact: I saw the film opening night, in Peter Criss Kiss makeup.

Triryche

• Iokan (+1)
  • Lord of Blight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2010, 01:52:25 am »
When I first played this game ca. 1998, I cried after I beat it because of Schala failing to appear afterward, and I'd had a suspicion she'd been offed by her mother or Lavos. That's it. Even then she was my favorite and I wished I'd been able to play as her.

Though I did cry the day I heard about Crimson Echoes being C&D'd. That was more in rage, though, as I also pretty nearly smashed a few religious objects. (I was in Oklahoma at the time, staying with my grandparents. Make of this what you will.)

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 06:15:42 pm »
Not the chronos. I thought CC was depressive at some points (when you realize El-Nido is a huge experiment), but not that sad.

I never cried for video games, but I must say the latest Kingdom Hearts games almost made it. I think 358/2 days is a really, really depressive game.