Poll

Did you ever cry while playing the games?

I did.  I admit it.
No, never.
I teared up a little / became choked up, but no tears spilled over.
Cry?  More like bawled.

Author Topic: Did you ever cry while playing the games?  (Read 9707 times)

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Re: Did you ever cry while playing the games?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 02:45:59 pm »
While I've never really cried, Frog's flashback makes me tear up a bit, and then I do it again when he splits the mountain in half, though it's more out of happiness. Same with the original Epoch ending, before they went all "AND THEN EVERYBODY DIED" on us. I sniffled the first time I got the DS credits with the pictures in happiness, too.

The Dream Devourer ending aggravated me to the point of watery eyes, but we've heard that before...

As for Chrono Cross, not a lot of the scenes got me choked up, but the music really gave me neck tinglies. I did sniffle a bit at the orphanage scene and the Miguel stuff, though.

More than the scenes themselves, listening to the music and remembering gets me kinda misty. It's always a struggle not to weep in this video, from 0:35 to around 4:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSKtZf-CUYU

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:48:36 pm »

For me, I'm not really one to cry for movies and books, let alone video games.

If anything, I rarely cry in real life, and it's only when it's something that has threatened to derail my happiness for a long time (e.g. my friends making terrible life choices, or me not being able to finish college).  You get the picture.

Maybe it's because I'm slightly autistic that I don't declare my emotions as openly as others.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 03:53:52 pm »
For me, I'm not really one to cry for movies and books, let alone video games.

If anything, I rarely cry in real life, and it's only when it's something that has threatened to derail my happiness for a long time (e.g. my friends making terrible life choices, or me not being able to finish college).  You get the picture.

I do.  I understand.  I can be a bit weepy and emotional myself, but I know not everyone works that way.

Maybe it's because I'm slightly autistic that I don't declare my emotions as openly as others.

That would make sense.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 03:55:11 pm »

Please don't take it the wrong way.  I'm not a terrible person for such a reason.

Edit: Yay!  Updated my avatar!

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 04:01:22 pm »
Please don't take it the wrong way.  I'm not a terrible person for such a reason.

Oh no, not at all!  I'm sorry if that's what my comments seemed to indicate--that was not my intention at all.  I definitely do not think you're a terrible person.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 08:02:11 pm »
I once shed a tear while listening to "Far Away Times" while the credits rolled back in 1995. I get a little emotional every time I listen to it, really. Something about that track just brings home the magnanimity of what Square Enix and its Dream Team accomplished, and also brings to mind the kind of sadness people separated by time would feel. Or something. But it's a good, fulfilling kind of sadness, like the end of Return of the King.

That's the only time I've ever gotten really emotional over a videogame. Even when Aeris died in 1997, I was just pissed at the realization that I'd never have Sephiroth in my party past that point in the game.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 08:05:29 pm by FaustWolf »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 08:04:59 pm »
Nope. I also seldom cry for books or movies, though all three still do tend to effect me emotionally. I just tend to become morose, rather than cry.

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 08:49:24 pm »
I've bawled from all 3 several times. Really emotional games.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 09:16:23 pm »
Nope. I also seldom cry for books or movies, though all three still do tend to effect me emotionally. I just tend to become morose, rather than cry.

Wait a minute.  That looks familiar... (Thought summed it up for me, too...)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:33 pm »
I really don't cry very often. While watching the CE videos, I think it happened once. When Crono died (edit: in CT, I know he doesn't die in CE), it happened. Nothing too severe. Holding back tears.

Edit: I'm not all that attached to Cross. Instead of bouts of emotion I get very WTF.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:02:56 pm by Mr Bekkler »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:06 pm »
Oh, yeah, CE. I teared up definitely when I watched video 82 and saw King Zeal while "The Devil" from An Ciunnuint played. FaustWolf couldn't have chosen better music for that.

And that music...it captured all the tragedy of King Zeal, even as he stood before the party in his intended hour of triumph. His tragic death at the Frozen Flame in the original timeline; his being deceived by Lavos; his painful, cathartic revelation that Zeal had been destroyed after his death in the timeline; his sad state upon the North Cape...I wanted him to win. I gave him, through dialogue, the possibility that he'd really succeed in dominating the Dream Devourer in fusion—that he'd successfully become a God of Dreams with which to serve the timeline for the better. He could restore Zeal; he could create a new Zeal a thousand times better than the old. He could heal time all over history, and grant transcendence to all sentience. He could enlighten and illuminate the world.

And all that potential was carried in a dread heart rendered cracked by all the tragedy that had befallen it and the kingdom under its charge. And then, moments later, that potential would be destroyed by the "Heroes of Time", who acted upon some sense of fear for safety and the status quo. It was preceded by that glorious speech, and that beautiful, melancholy music.

But hey; I made sure King Zeal is left alive at the end of CE...

:kz

Step inside the heart of ambition!!

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 01:37:44 am »
Like many things I've been moved by CC and CT (CC mostly) But not to the point of tears.  It's the same with other stuff.  Like Final fantasy tactics.  I don't know, I guess I just don't get very emotional over stories.  ...Does crying of frustration and anger count?!  XD If so then I think I've done that a couple times maybe on other games.  not on Chrono though. 

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 01:41:09 am »
...Does crying of frustration and anger count?!  XD If so then I think I've done that a couple times maybe on other games.  not on Chrono though. 

Well it's expressing emotion over a game so...sure!  I guess it could count.  :)

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 02:27:40 am »
sajanta is magus laughing hysterically/ in pity or crying in your avatar?

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2009, 01:37:15 pm »
sajanta is magus laughing hysterically/ in pity or crying in your avatar?

He's laughin'.  He does the same thing when you go into the Giant's Claw and sit on the throne.  Although it definitely looks like he could be crying.