Poll

Did you ever cry while playing the games?

I did.  I admit it.
No, never.
I teared up a little / became choked up, but no tears spilled over.
Cry?  More like bawled.

Author Topic: Did you ever cry while playing the games?  (Read 9706 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Did you ever cry while playing the games?
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:04:32 pm »
I certainly did, mostly during CC.  I cried a little when Belthasar died in CT (all he wanted to do was go home :(.  Plus, that music is SO DAMN SAD!).

And then the new DS ending...  :cry:.

I was an absolute wreck during CC.  Lucca's letter?  Entire ending of the game?  Yeah, I was bawling my eyes out.

That's one of the many reasons why the Chrono games are my favourite games of all time.  I love a lot of video games, but none of them have moved me to the point of tears, let alone to the point of I-can-hardly-breathe-gulping-for-air wailing that I was doing during CC.  You know a game is good when the characters and events are so powerful that they can evoke such strong feelings.

How about you?  I'm really curious about this.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Re: Did you ever cry while playing the games?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 07:13:53 pm »

Sorry.  I find it next to non-existent that I would ever cry during any video game, let alone an RPG.

One would think that I must have a heart of stone and ice in my veins not to feel anything for the loss of these characters during the course of the game, but think about it.

They're electronic constructs in a cartridge/ROM world.  How am I supposed to feel any sadness for them?

Oh, well.  I guess it wouldn't make any sense explaining it, but that's the gist of it.  Sorry. :(

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:15:26 pm »
After the ending of Chrono Trigger DS (the Dream's Epilogue ending), I broke down. Seeing Magus rebuffed by the sister he was struggling so hard to rescue and endured decades of darkness to even reach...it was too much.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:29:32 pm »
They're electronic constructs in a cartridge/ROM world.  How am I supposed to feel any sadness for them?

Along those lines though, movie characters are just images on a screen and book characters are just ink on a page and many people cry during movies and books.  Personally, I can name lots of movies and books that have made me cry.  Or maybe you feel the same way regarding movies and books as you do video games.

And there's no need to apologize.  I don't think your comment makes you cold-hearted.  People experience things in different ways.

After the ending of Chrono Trigger DS (the Dream's Epilogue ending), I broke down. Seeing Magus rebuffed by the sister he was struggling so hard to rescue and endured decades of darkness to even reach...it was too much.

I agree.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 07:53:24 pm »
Only two franchises have ever brought me close to tears by the storytelling: Rurouni Kenshin, and Chrono Cross.

The orphanage scene in Chrono Cross, to be exact.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:56:07 pm »
Only two franchises have ever brought me close to tears by the storytelling: Rurouni Kenshin, and Chrono Cross.

Rorouni Kenshin is great.  Which part(s) made you cry?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:06:27 pm »
I didn't cry, but I felt terrible for Shishio. Despite being maniacal, Shishio is very human, and this was enhanced so much by his love with Yumi. He suffered so much incredible pain, and through sheer force of will, overcame it, even with a warped mind. But there was no denying his humanity, as twisted as it was. He still loved, and was loved. I wept inside for him. I loved that couple, and I loved that they both were alive in the Kenshin universe Hell, and that Shishio still had his beautiful ambition.

On the other hand, I have never liked Kenshin (Sanosuke is a much more interesting character), so it pained me to see Kenshin win. I can see Shishio losing to Hiko Seijuro, but Kenshin, come on. And Shishio also had to take on all the other characters, too (including Mr. Aku Soku Zan himself), so it wasn't even a "fair" fight.

Whoops, sorry to derail the thread.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:06 pm »
No, never. The Radical Dreamers epilogue came the closest for me.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 08:26:12 pm »
Yes. I can't say how many scenes. Chrono touches me deeply. Crono's death, Crono's revival, CT credits, CTDS Magus loses Schala scene, CC Orphanage, losing Harle, switching places and seeing Kid get screwed over, Robo's happening in CC, I can go on for those games and radical Dreamers as well. And CTCE, don't get me started. In fact I'm sorry but after one particular scene in that, fan made or not, I really didn't like you guys who worked on it. Looking at the majority of my mugshots, not to mention maggiekarp made a comic about it, it should be fairly obvious what scene I'm talking about from there.

When I've said before Chrono brings out all my emotions, I mean everything. Full blown rage, total joy, complete sorrow(bursting into tears uncontrollably), etc. I really feel like I'm there.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 08:33:34 pm »
Z, that has got to be the most beautiful artwork of Shishio I've ever seen.

To answer your question, Saja The scene where Kenshin leaves for Kyoto and says goodbye to Kaoru, but especially the first scene of the next episode where the two girls wake up and realize that "Uncle Kenny" was gone. Minimized for spoiler reasons, I guess.  :cry:

Another scene from Chrono Cross, now that I think about it, was the Water Dragon Isle scene. I realize it's fairly close to the burning orphanage part, but the fact that it was all new to me this playthrough(always went straight to Mt. Pyre after Fargo) made it that much more poignant. Moreover, I never had unlocked the Kid scene by doing this.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 08:35:43 pm »
there was that scene in chrono cross with nadias bell in the dead sea.
that made me cry.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 09:17:58 pm »
Hmm, i don't recall, but I think the answer is no. But both RD and CC make me feeling down, like the games are shrouded in dark aura.

The Nadia's Bell scene is always my favorite, I had goose bumps when I read Miguel's dialogues.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:48 pm »
This, right here. And I promised myself I wouldn't :cry:
Let's see... I tend to tear up during the fall of Zeal scene, and Crono's resurrection. I probably did elsewhere during other scenes, but I just can't remember. The Dream Devourer ending takes the cake as the only one I had to put down the game and find a tissue for.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 12:40:46 am »
Neither game has brought me to tears, in fact the only game too would be Planescape: Torment. ALTHOUGH...The scene with Miguel was the closest, especial with Prisoners of Fate playing even during the fight its self.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 01:30:22 am »
I didn't cry, but I felt terrible for Shishio. Despite being maniacal, Shishio is very human, and this was enhanced so much by his love with Yumi. He suffered so much incredible pain, and through sheer force of will, overcame it, even with a warped mind. But there was no denying his humanity, as twisted as it was. He still loved, and was loved. I wept inside for him. I loved that couple, and I loved that they both were alive in the Kenshin universe Hell, and that Shishio still had his beautiful ambition.

On the other hand, I have never liked Kenshin (Sanosuke is a much more interesting character), so it pained me to see Kenshin win. I can see Shishio losing to Hiko Seijuro, but Kenshin, come on. And Shishio also had to take on all the other characters, too (including Mr. Aku Soku Zan himself), so it wasn't even a "fair" fight.

I never liked Kenshin either.  My favourite character has always been Sano, with Sojiro being a close second.  I did like Shishio and Yumi, although I think I would have liked Shishio more if I wasn't so terrified of Egyptian mummies or anything / anyone that looks like a mummy, heh.

I cried during the episodes that chronicled Sojiro's upbringing.  -__-

It's all good!