Author Topic: IN LOVING MEMORY OF NAPPA  (Read 3246 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
IN LOVING MEMORY OF NAPPA
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:33:27 pm »
Main content for the encyclopedia relating to Chrono Trigger DS has been added to the encyclopedia. This includes monsters, weapons, armor, locations, characters, and even changes to the Chronology for the Lost Sanctum and Dimensional Vortex. A few analysis articles were edited by extension, including the Rise of Porre article (which is now deprecated) and a few other loose ends, like Magus's fate after Chrono Trigger. Things were written with the Compendium position that the events depicted in the Dimensional Vortex are canonical, but Crono's visit to those places (and to the DBT) is not. Thus, Dalton still fell into the vortex and emerged to take revenge, and Magus (yes, our beloved Magus) found the Dream Devourer after Chrono Trigger but failed to save Schala and wiped his own identity. Now begins the forum and analysis review for the Chrono Trigger DS forum. (Oh, and still waiting to see if we can host the Arena of the Ages FAQ, as well as something that'll help finish the main CT DS page, which will function as a CT to CT DS changelog.) So that this update isn't too sparse, here are a few backlogged items:

[1]  ONSLAUGHT recently came into possession of EGM #7, and she found really interesting early coverage of Chrono Trigger inside. EGM devoted two pages to the game, featuring many mock-up screenshots from the prism cards, as well as some exciting new discoveries; these include Truce's possible early name "Stoal" and a winter tileset that didn't make it into the final or prerelease. Check it out here!  [2]  Since then, ONSLAUGHT found another blurb with a nice screenshot in the middle here. It shows Crono at the Ocean Palace entrance speaking to Schala and Janus. It's possible that Schala and Janus were meant to survive the events of the Ocean Palace in Masato Kato's early planning; naturally, he would have changed this to avoid a temporal paradox and to set up Schala's involvement in future Chrono games.  [3]  I've added DJ Nerd42's Chrono Tied project to the Fan Projects page. He's only got a few tracks left before the mash-up's complete, so stop by!

http://www.youtube.com/v/zS_ti4X1Byc&ap=%2526fmt%3D18http://www.youtube.com/v/zS_ti4X1Byc&ap=%2526fmt%3D18

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:56:32 pm by ZeaLitY »

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: IN LOVING MEMORY OF NAPPA
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 02:49:40 pm »
Since then, ONSLAUGHT found another blurb with a nice screenshot in the middle here. It shows Crono at the Ocean Palace entrance speaking to Schala and Janus. It's possible that Schala and Janus were meant to survive the events of the Ocean Palace in Masato Kato's early planning; naturally, he would have changed this to avoid a temporal paradox and to set up Schala's involvement in future Chrono games.  

What....nnnnooooo!!!!! That would have turned out great in the end and perhaps Schala could have joined the team. Perhaps she was the eighth playable character rumored in the past? As for Janus...I bet this would affect the future of 600 AD depending if the three Mystics were already part of the development. And perhaps Schala could have been related to Marle due to having a similar (which is the same) pendant, but since that's not true in Chrono Trigger, it could have been a long lost heirloom of the Zeal royalty and eons later, the heirloom of the Guardia family finds it underwater.

Wait a minute, I'm seeing something odd in that image. I see two Moon Stones and a door at the back. Apparently Janus is thanking Crono for his help and I am guessing they're about to leave...unless she would have joined as a part of the team. I also see a front entrance. Also...what would happen to the Kingdom of Zeal? 0__o Perhaps that blimp is the answer to the advance technology in 1000 AD in the prerelease? (see biplanes and windmills) Oh god....Masato is making my mind go numb!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:13:12 pm by Dialga_Palkia »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:32:13 pm »
Ha, when I saw the headline I immediately checked Yahoo! Finance for stories of the Napa Auto Parts franchise going under.

We all owe ZeaLitY a major round of applause for his recent rush of work on updating the site; I think he's balancing, what, three-to-five grad school courses at any one time nowadays? It's been pretty amazing around here.

That pic of Schala and Janus at the Ocean Palace is a real treat. There's something similar in this Talk Battle translation that CuteLucca furnished and GlitterBerri translated IIRC. Check the bottom left corner of the page, right above the page number.

Marle's actually laughing there, at one of the most serious points in the game. Maybe she's saying, "Whoo-boy, Crono, that was close! I'm sure glad you weren't killed by Lavos or anything! Tee-hee!"

This is all extremely fascinating. Possibilities include the following I guess:

1. (Most likely?) Crono did not die in the original plot draft, which made it all the way to the alpha phase of production. This means that the Dream Team came up with the "shoking occurrence" whilst in mid-production, changing the course of the story in a major way. I have to wonder whether that was Kato's idea, but we might be able to link this to Final Fantasy VII's development; what scenario design team members besides Kato were both in FFVII and Chrono Trigger? Whoever thought of Cloud being indisposed may have come up with Crono dying, but that's purely wishful conjecture. It's amazing how Chrono Trigger was, in some respects, a daring testing ground for things never before done in videogame stories. That might be why Chrono is so classic. It was downright daring.

However, this is problematic because Crono and Schala surviving in the main plot would suggest Zeal never fell, seeing as the Ocean Palace is still intact rather than being partially trashed by Lavos. Still, the Black Omen was nicely decorated in the final draft, so maybe Lavos shot its lasers through wormholes that would allow it to level Zeal without damaging the immediate environment. Or maybe this newly discovered picture shows a scene where Crono & co., plus Janus and Schala, are escaping post-Lavos encounter as water rushes in.

Also interesting is the fact that Janus is even there -- he should have been Time Bastarded by that point, or around that point. It was Kato's idea to link Janus and Magus, correct? Maybe this is even before that came into being; thus obviating the need to have Janus disappear into a black gate.

2. (Maybe less likely): Perhaps this is from a planned ending where Crono & co. defeat Lavos at the Ocean Palace. It always irked me that there were two ways to get the Developer's ending; it would have been a real treat to see what would have happened had Crono & co. prevented the fall of Zeal.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:53:21 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:40:04 pm »
Hah, just getting started! The Compendium's position on the DS ending (events are canonical, visit is not) is simplifying a lot of the DS forum analysis matters. These topics are going by well; only thing I've had to create so far is a Guile = Magus? entry that I'm working on.

LETS SEE IF WE CAN FINISH THE COMPENDIUM BY TONIGHT

OF COURSE ILL ALSO MAKE IT A GENERAL UPDATE WITH BACKUPS AFTER, WHICH MEANS GETTING NEW REMIXES UP, FAN ART, ETC. BUT ITS WITHIN MY GRASP

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWO YEARS, IGNORING CERTAIN ITEMS ON THE TO-DO LIST THAT THE COMMUNITY CAN WORK ON, THE CHRONO COMPENDIUM WILL BE *UP TO DATE*

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:17:37 pm »

2. (Maybe less likely): Perhaps this is from a planned ending where Crono & co. defeat Lavos at the Ocean Palace. It always irked me that there were two ways to get the Developer's ending; it would have been a real treat to see what would have happened had Crono & co. prevented the fall of Zeal.
THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT ANY SOONER?! And look at the Mammon Machine, it's golden and where the heck is everyone? They're not there. Dear lord, if Masato ever gets an interview I hope someone will answer questions about the pre production of Chrono Trigger. And what is Frog doing? Laughing as well? I also don't recall seeing stairs there. Man, almost everything from the Crimson Echoes is almost being reality, only this stuff is the real deal! Man... :kz
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:19:35 pm by Dialga_Palkia »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:31:12 pm »

You know, when I originally saw the title of the thread, I thought it meant that the voice actor who played Nappa in the English dub of DBZ had died.

As it turns out, he's still alive and well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dobson_(actor)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:22:43 pm »
Damn, I'm tired. I could finish tonight, but I don't know if my mental lucidity is up to making sure the analysis is treated properly. So the great Compendium completion will wait a night.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:25:41 pm »
Everyone needs breaks.

As for the last thought you had Faust, I'd say that one sounds most legit.

But couldn't that area also be from the Sun palace?(finally remembered the name!)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:36:54 pm »
Ahh, considering the moonstones and what appear to be beams of light, this does look like it's a Sun Palace event! Could it be that Zeal did not, indeed, fall, in the alpha, and Schala & Janus were there for the recharging of the Sun Stone? Or was the Sun Stone event to have occurred prior to the Fall of Zeal? Maybe the Sun Stones are just there randomly, and there was a cool Sun Palace event during Zeal that was shelved. Damn it, that would have been awesome.

BTW, what issue of EGM was that in exactly, Onslaught? ZeaLitY's report suggests EGM issue 7, but would the "7" refer to volume number and not issue number? Volume 6 looks like it was in 1993, so I'm assuming Volume 7 was in 1994.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:56:53 am by FaustWolf »

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:40 am »
Everyone needs breaks.

As for the last thought you had Faust, I'd say that one sounds most legit.

But couldn't that area also be from the Sun palace?(finally remembered the name!)
no wonder why i am seeing two moon stones! 0__0

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:23:20 am »
Changed the description to reference the Moon Stones / Sun Palace.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:30:51 pm »
The first 2 pages I posted were from #7. It had Eternal Champions on the cover. The second picture was from #63 with Donkey Kong Country on the cover. Chances are with a gap like that between the 2, there HAS to be more from these guys and I just don't have those mags...
QUICK! TO THE ONLINE AUCTIONS!

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:02:29 pm »
The first 2 pages I posted were from #7. It had Eternal Champions on the cover. The second picture was from #63 with Donkey Kong Country on the cover. Chances are with a gap like that between the 2, there HAS to be more from these guys and I just don't have those mags...
QUICK! TO THE ONLINE AUCTIONS!
or email the company that creates the magazine. Actually, that depends if there are any senior editors there. Or why not discover the outer rims of the internet for more chrono goodness?!