Author Topic: Material Requiring Translation  (Read 48197 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Material Requiring Translation
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 02:02:32 pm »
Wow, Genesis! Did you translate this all by yourself, or with help from friends?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:20:35 pm by FaustWolf »

Cherenkov

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:42 pm »
Hello, I've been looking at this site for quite a while and appreciate its content.  I lived in Japan for several years and can speak Japanese, and can read it so-so.  Even better, my wife is Japanese, although her English is still somewhat lacking (we are now in the USA).  We mostly speak Japanese together, and if the two of us worked together we could translate anything from Japanese to English.
She hadn't played Chrono Trigger in the past, and only in the last few weeks have we been playing the Japanese Playstation version together.  She is loving the game, and while looking up various things about the story online, I re-discovered this site.  She was reading through the various Japanese interviews under the section "Material Requiring Translation", and found them interesting.  I wanted to see if Zeality was interested in us trying them out.  Maybe Zeality could send a private message to discuss the finer points of how would want them done?  For example, put the whole thing in a text file, with the Japanese sentences one-by-one followed by English sentences?  Try to put them into PDF format?  We haven't translated before, other than for our own private uses.  So I don't know the standard procedures for this.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 12:19:26 am »

I invited the services of twin Japanophiles who majored in the Japanese language.  Looking at them, you couldn't tell, but they can sight-read kanji and speak fluent Japanese.  It's amazing.

So yeah, I used their services to get the Gamest Coverage translation, so technically the bounty points would go to them (if they had an account here, that is).

Man, I wish I could do what they can do.  *Sigh* Oh, well.

At least now it reveals the mystery as to the short plot of 20-30 hours:

Extended graphic renditions of varying motions and emotions of characters and monsters in battle mode!  The cartridge could only take up so much space, after all!  Ha ha ha ha ha ha! :lol:

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 01:28:40 am »
Just now seeing this. It's huge. I'll try to get an update going, but I have some music updates to make, too...

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 10:11:29 pm »

That's fine.  Take your time.

This month will see the new material and the solving of one of the biggest mysteries of CT's short plot.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 05:34:59 pm »

Um...

Not to sound impatient, but when's the next update?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 07:57:06 pm »
Probably the end of January.

idioticidioms

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 05:38:32 pm »
Just curious... I know this is a Chrono community and whatnot, but would you guys be willing to do translations on other things as well? There are still a good amount of great SNES RPG's that haven't been fully translated or haven't even been started on and I was curious what your take would be on working on some of them.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 06:27:55 pm »

I do believe it's high time another update is due...   :D

and it's almost time to bring in the entries for the Winter Fragments Contest and judge them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:01:38 pm by GenesisOne »

GlitterBerri

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • BerriBlue
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 06:49:58 am »
Just curious... I know this is a Chrono community and whatnot, but would you guys be willing to do translations on other things as well? There are still a good amount of great SNES RPG's that haven't been fully translated or haven't even been started on and I was curious what your take would be on working on some of them.

What sort of material are you thinking of? I have a game translation site at www.glitterberri.com and I might be interested in taking something on if you have anything of interest. I'm not sure Chrono Compendium is the best place to ask about other games, but it wouldn't hurt to make a list of what you have in mind.

idioticidioms

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 07:06:38 am »
I was thinking of the unfinished projects started by Dejap and noprogress that they started on DQ 5 and 6, mainly, Dark Kingdom is still lacking translation and I'm not sure there is a team working on it, yet, Dragon Knight 4, Elfaria II, Ruin Arm, Silva Saga II, and Soul & Sword. All for SNES.

As far as I know, the gaming companies don't have an issue with people simply translating their games. It's more when they start making their own games out of the copyrighted stuff.

Nagareochiru

• Bounty Hunter
  • Iokan (+1)
  • どけ、どけ、どけ、無関心な奴はどけ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 06:47:47 am »
Greetings, all. I grew up with these games, and only recently have I been able to get back to them for a go in the original language. I completed Chrono Trigger DS the other day, but I wondered if there wasn't something I missed when making a vocabulary list from the game (one of my favorite study methods, when approached cautiously). In so doing, I searched for resources online and stumbled over the Compendium, which naturally made me wonder why I ever bothered looking anywhere else for encyclopedic knowledge of CT and CC.

As I perused these halls (finally remembering to go get the Gold Rock I'd forgotten), I noted the drive for translation help. Equipped with a couple years of Japanese from college (and perhaps too much confidence in its usefulness), I sent an e-mail inquiring about providing what meager aid I can. Since I've gotten no word in the two days since then, I supposed it was a problem of channels and thought a forum post (my first, 0MGR0FLCOPTERN00B!!1!) might be the more convenient way to speak up.

I've attached two compressed folders full of text files. One set goes with the Ultimania character profiles; the other goes with pages 408-410. I didn't make much use of references, so the names and in-game text are almost certainly different than what made the official cut. It should be pretty intelligible, but let me know if you think I should make edits. I also don't claim I was 100% consistent from file-to-file, although I tried. I worked on these in a pretty helter-skelter fashion. I must stress that I'm still a long way from fluent, so I encourage peer-checking to let me know whether I'm up to snuff. If so, I'd be more than happy to do more as I am able.

Thanks for maintaining such a great resource.  :)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 10:12:23 pm »
That looks fantastic. Yeah, I haven't had time to update the site in forever, so I haven't been able to check the e-mail as often as I should.

We'll absolutely take your help. I'll get those pages removed from Material Requiring Translation and add your work soon.

Nagareochiru

• Bounty Hunter
  • Iokan (+1)
  • どけ、どけ、どけ、無関心な奴はどけ!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 03:18:50 am »
Righteous.

Since the sprawling text files there seem a little inelegant to me, I think I'll test using GIMP or something to transfer the text onto the page itself. There's definitely a size trade-off, but it might be "cleaner" to keep the main content on the page and include a separate text file only for footnotes.

For the short-term, I'll Anglicize the four new bosses' profile pages and as many of the "secrets" pages as I can.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 02:14:43 pm »
Great. Material Requiring Translation is like, besides contacting Kato for an interview, our true last great work to be done here at the Compendium.