Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Screenplay (Part One)  (Read 2838 times)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Screenplay (Part One)
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:02:54 pm »
That's right!  Amazing as it sounds, I am currently underway with working on a CT screenplay trilogy (perhaps even a quadrilogy) based on the fullness of the game itself.  
This format of the game will preserve up to 95% of the original material (which is rather an ecstatic number for me).

Now, you might be saying, "Great.  A Chrono Symphonic wanna-be."  No!  I'm not doing this just for the music or just for the cinematic experience.  I'm doing this because there wasn't enough justice done for the Chrono Symphonic project.  

Don't get me wrong.  The guy's music is astounding and awe-inspiring.  That's not the purpose of my endeavor.  My purpose is to capture as much of the game as I can and put it into a movie in embryo form (which is what a screenplay is).

I've read the guy’s review: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Stories/21/2

He says he’s got three years of screenwriting classes under his belt, yet there are a couple of things that strike me as unconventional for a person claiming such experience:

- He’s got no other screenplays to his name (or if he does, he doesn’t list them).
- He makes so many mistakes in his screenplay that any agent worth his/her position in an agency would put it straight into the circular file by page 10.  I kid you not.
- He’s so focused on artistic license for his project that he’ll lose any chance of any literary agent taking him seriously.
- He’s doing it for fun.  Hollywood is a business, and a very serious one at that.

I’m writing this because I know the process behind how screenplays are made, how they’re rewritten, and how they get solicited and read by someone in Tinsel Town.  I actually want this to become a movie trilogy (or perhaps even quadrilogy), and no amount of screenwriting courses are going to reveal to you the deepest (and most easy to bypass) secrets to making one’s screenplay bullet-proof.

Well, enough of my passionate rant.  What says the fellow Compendiumites out there?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:57:13 pm by GenesisOne »

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger Screenplay (Part One)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:56:43 pm »
get to it. we're here to help emotionally.
i dont know how to write a screenplay. i cant help you. but maybe you could get some friends here to help, like mr boo.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:43:52 pm »
I'll be rooting for your effort here Genesis, but knowing Square Enix's attitude toward its Chrono property, what's your ultimate ambition? What's the farthest you feel you can possibly get with a Chrono Trigger screenplay? Assuming you complete the project itself, would you approach Square Enix's department of licensing and management for official permission? Send a packet of the script to Square Enix headquarters in Japan, like the CT Novel Project did? Partner up with an already-existing indie studio like DangerKatt for greater leverage? What's the game plan?

But perhaps the most important question: live action, 2D animation, or 3D animation?  :D

You may also wish to get in touch with Luminaire85, though I'm not sure what his interest level in such a project currently is.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:46:43 pm by FaustWolf »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:33:57 pm »
I've had some screenplay writing experience. Good luck!

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:41:34 pm »

All good questions, Mister Wolf.  But first, let's get our ducks in a row.  My tools shall include:

- Final Draft (Screenwriting software)
- Dramatica Pro (Story development software)
- Adobe Acrobat (for PDF conversion)

As I complete ten pages (give or take depending on where the scene break is), I will post each new set online for your perusal and feedback.

After giving it much thought, I decided to go with the trilogy (or quadrilogy) being live action.

Finally, I'm going to be covering some goals that I will be accomplishing with this screenplay.

First Goal
Crono will have a full-fledged backstory just like the other characters.  This includes:
    a. Why he only has a mother
    b. How he came to like swordsmanship
    c. Giving him a goal that will better himself (not just saving the world from Lavos)

It's a start, but it's a noble one at that for getting this project underway.  :D

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 02:00:27 pm »
If you want somebody to bounce ideas back and forth, let us know!

I'd be glad to help with the fleshing out details. You could call my entries in the Re-Temporal Odyssey samples of just that.

Or a general discussion, with anybody who wants to toss in an idea. Though I'd think it would be better to keep the planning to yourself or in a small circle of people with intimate knowledge of the project's specifics and changes from the game.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 03:30:10 pm »

Hmm...

Actually, that would be a good idea.  PM me with said ideas.

As for general discussion, let it be about the feedback you get from each ten page sample you get from the work-in-progress.

I want to see to it that this is as faithful (to the original source material) as an adaptation as possible.  Any modifications and deletions to the story will be implemented if they meet the following criteria:

1. It proves to be trivial in its presence in the story.
    a. E.g. The Dragon Tank at Guardia Castle. (I mean, is it truly necessary to the plot?)
2. It proves to be detrimental to the plot or character development.

If there are more criteria to be met, I haven't thought of it yet.  If you can think of any, let me know.

Finally, before I go sounding like a hypocrite, I have two other screenplays and a TV series to my name:

1. The Silver Lotus (Action/Adventure)
2. I Miss the 80s (Rom-Com)
3. Siddhartha (One-Hour Drama)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »

Okay.  I haven't gotten the first ten pages out yet, and for good reason.

I went to my local library and checked out two books on screenwriting:

1. The Script-Selling Game by Kathie Fong Yoneda
2. Writing the Fantasy Film by Sable Jak

With over a million books in this place, it proved to be useful.

By expanding my tool belt, I have now better prepared myself for tackling this paramount project.

Speaking of which, which studio do you think should get the honors of producing this trilogy (or quadrilogy)?

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 01:31:41 pm »
Wow!! :shock:

Where does the time go when it comes to projects like these!?  :x  

:oops: Anyways...

After pounding out my research and creativity, it's been a month, and  this is all I have to show for it.

The first twelve pages of the screenplay (includes the Title Page).

Notes:  

O.S. = Off-Screen
SUPER = Super-imposed (as in titles and subtitles)
Personal Information hidden for identity protection

Other than that... enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.  :D

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:01:45 pm by GenesisOne »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 02:00:37 pm »
Nice work Genesis, looks superb so far! Can't wait until I get a chance to read the entire thing -- it really does feel like a leaked movie script, which attests to your experience in the field. This is a project I'll keep an eye on, I love this sort of thing.

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 09:18:19 pm »
Don't know if you already use it but this program is very useful for these kinds of things. :)

http://celtx.com/

Also, "Save The Cat! The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need" is a very good reference book. =]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:07:49 am by Ema »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 03:56:28 pm »
Yeah, I own "Save the Cat." I always trust Michael Weise Productions in terms of screenwriting.  Plus, I prefer Final Draft® over Celtx®, not that it isn't a most useful screenwriting program.

Readers will notice that in the script thus far, the following additions, modifications, and deletions have been made to the original story:

0. Crono talks. Anyone else notice this subtle act of creative license?  Also, he has those regular teenage insecurities and angst that we all experienced (and perhaps still experience), but through it all, he maintains being callow and brimming with integrity.  A true gentleman, as Marle put it.

1. Crono's passion of being a prestige swordsman is shown in the opening pages.  Dramatic irony was added by having him believe that he failed to cut the wooden pole, when in fact he did when he had already gone inside.

2. Lara’s presence is made known in the story, but not her disability. The scene with her looking at the picture and referring to Lucca’s pursuits as “silly toys” was my idea because it establishes a back-story and create internal conflict that would resurface later in the Trilogy (can you say Red Gate?).

3. Crono meets Melchior before bumping into Marle, not after.  This helps to establish his presence and occupation earlier and not just make it spontaneous in regards to Marle's pendant.

4. Gato makes no appearance in the story.  It seemed detrimental to the plot and contributed nothing in terms of character or story development.  Plus, the effects and CGI department would have to spend thousands more dollars to make a working rendition of Gato during postproduction.

5. Marle's pendant does not fly off her neck when she collides with Crono. This decision fell more into the region of common sense than character or story weight.

6. A montage portrays Crono and Marle’s afternoon together. Not only does it show a passage of time showing character relationship improvement, it gives an emotional and comical anchor that will keep their relationship strong throughout the Trilogy.

7. The pendant emanates strange, invisible vibes. This was to show that the pendant is supernatural in origin, and that Melchior and the audience is privy to its powers, but not our protagonists.  Another tally mark for dramatic irony.

So, as I continue the next ten or so pages, I must know.  Are these additions, modifications, and deletions that I’m making doing the story any justice?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:00:05 pm by GenesisOne »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 04:35:41 pm »
The dramatic irony is working. Gato is unnecessary. I love the attention to detail with the parts like where you see a hand light a match before you see the fireworks. It really makes it feel more like it's actually a festival starting. I also like the banter between NPCs because they still give the audience the gist without needing to talk to a main character who wouldn't need to know or already knows the information provided.

Overall, what you have so far exceeds what I expected. The Chrono Symphonic script was not to my liking at all. You've produced a charming adaptation of the first few events of the story, and I really want to see where it goes.

Question: Frog's accent. Keeping it or no?

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 05:15:30 pm »

If you mean his manner of speech, then...

Hmm...

I was thinking of keeping his manner of speech when he is calm and composed, but when he is frustrated angered, anxious, impatient, etc. over something personal, he reverts to the original Japanese translation.

This would serve as a means of showing his more "human" side and pay homage to the original script.

Speaking of which, I would like to take the time to thank JLukas, ZeaLitY, Kwhazit, Woosley, and the rest for providing the Game Order Edition of the Retranslation packet for making Frog's original speech present for this screenplay I'm working on.

Update:  For the next posting of the screenplay, Crono's Mom will be called Jina, once more paying homage to the original script.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 02:03:32 pm »

The next several pages are now available for your reading amusement. 

By the way, it's located in the first post, so don't get lost on the way up.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.  :D