Poll

Does the official music video change your perception of the song you listen to?

Yes!  What was that!?
2 (16.7%)
No, I still think it's a good song.
4 (33.3%)
I don't watch music videos.
1 (8.3%)
Sometimes.
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Music Video Perception  (Read 1902 times)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Music Video Perception
« on: September 10, 2009, 04:35:43 pm »

It's been a personal problem.  I have no problem listening to some of my favorite songs on my iPod, but when I go to see the official music video for the song (if it has one), then I suddenly come down with a case of the WTFs.  Still, I don't like the idea of ditching a song I like just because the music video was full-blown, all-out, pedal-to-the-metal corny.

What says you? 

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
Re: Music Video Perception
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 04:40:43 pm »
I honestly wouldn't care, because I wouldn't let a music video make me change my mind on what I would think is a great song.

You can still listen to it on your iPod without the video, so you could try and erase the corniness of the vide out of your head.

I'm just rambling though...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:59:41 pm »
I love freaky music videos! Definitely makes the song stick in my head more. The Cranberries' Salvation, Linkin Park's Crawling, and System of a Down's Aerials were all wonderfully surreal.

The songs themselves seem slightly nebulous, but the videos give them something closer to a solid message by framing them within  some kind of story.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:00:38 pm »
can you add a "Sometimes" option?

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:01:53 pm »

Ta-dah.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 05:58:09 pm »
It depends. Generally no, but if it's a really good or really bad one, yeah it either make or break the song.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:36:04 pm »
It changes if I want it to. Howard Jones's "Pearl in the Shell" is perfect with the video; it completely illustrates the song and features typically great acting by Jed. But "What is Love?" doesn't resonate with me so well, so I just don't watch it too much, and the memory doesn't stick.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 06:48:12 pm »
I think it could only effect positively. It can make the overal experience of a song better, but if the video isn't good, then you're still getting the auditory experience. My television (or any monitor) isn't so imposing on me that I couldn't look elsewhere for 2 & a half minutes (or w/e).

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 06:54:41 pm »
I hardly ever watch music videos, but when I do, it only makes me love the song more, even if the music vid is complete shit. Like... look at that one really popular 80s song- Total Eclipse of the Heart. Has anyone seen that music video? I watched it a while ago because I was curious and it is definitely the most fucked up music video  I've ever seen. Somehow that made it cooler for me!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 03:17:01 am »
When I was a kid I thought Elton John was a dark-skinned Spaniard with long black hair, black sunglasses, a slim figure with broad shoulders and a rippling chest, and expensive blazers. Boy...can I call 'em, or what?

And never mind what I thought this guy looked like...

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 02:09:43 pm »
Quote from: Lord J Esq
And never mind what I thought this guy looked like...

Son of a damn it, J! Seriously?

In any event, I didn't really imagine him as the pasty-faced, freckled kid from down the street either.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 05:40:30 pm »
^_^

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 07:59:43 pm »
Virtual Insanity - That was mind blowing in the 90s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJmX1z1NY2c

VH1 did a special on the best music videos. But it seems that they based it on the song for most. I'll post some.

1 - "Thriller" - Michael Jackson: If this video hasn't impacted you then you live in middle Africa.
8 - "Take On Me" - a-ha: Actually this one I was changed because the video was cool I now have this song on my ipod.
14 - "Virtual Insanity" - Jamiroquai: Like I said great video, perfect for the song.
15 - "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen: I didn't let this one ruin it for me, great song dumb video.
16 - "Sabotage" - Beastie Boys: If I didn't already like the song this video wouldn't have just been Icing.
36 - "We Didn't Start The Fire" - Billy Joel: It was a fun song, but man every time it cuts to him in shades I bust out laughing.
68 - "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" - Eurythmics: I like this video, I think of it every time I listen to it.
77 - "That Don't Impress Me Much" - Shania Twain: This video I'd agree with, but I still say that If it was Brad
Pitt or a Rocket Scientist she would be impressed. http://snltranscripts.jt.org/01/01pmtv.phtml If you ever find that episode of SNL I laughed for hours because of that skit. It really was on the radio all the freekin time. I think of it every time I listen to the song.
85 - "Livin' La Vida Loca" - Ricky Martin: That video only further promotes the stereo type that all Latins (particularly Ricky Martin) are hott. Also doesn't change the song sucks
90 - "...Baby One More Time" - Britney Spears: That made me realize just who she was.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:18:18 pm »
Do official videos alter my perception of the song? Of course they do. I mean, taking Thriller or some of the quintessential Michael Jackson videos, for instance, I always find that the videos enhance the song to a whole new level. It's a completely different event--occasionally videos and the song's lyrics have nothing to do with each other, so I'm left with this interesting little piece of cinema to experience. I personally have never found a video that has absolutely no effect on how I look at a song...Though some videos do heighten songs, I'm sure I could find a few that just about ruin 'em...But nonetheless all these videos to alter my experience in some way, shape, or form.