Author Topic: Movies thread  (Read 8389 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: Movies thread
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 04:09:50 am »
As far as this summer goes, really the only thing I've caught was Up, which was just fantastic.  Some nice belly laughs.  Had a few "deep" moments as well, at least deep for more or less a kids movie.  I would recommend it to anybody. I still need/want to see:

Terminator
Bruno
Harry Potter
District 9
The Hangover

I feel like I'm even still missing some.  Regardless, I'm a little bit behind... 8)

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 04:22:25 am »
Yeah, I missed a good chunk of movies from 2008 and some of 2007 due to me being in Japan. Wonder if anything good came out in 2008 XD;. I kind of want to see "The Hangover" and "Bruno" I hope I get around to it at some point.

Today, I watched "The Kids"(1995). This was a really bizarre movie and it had a lot of contraversy when it came out. Basically, it's about teenage delinquents in NYC who have a ton of sex. I watched it because it was Rosario Dawson's debut performance and I'm her fan. She's one of my favorite actresses. You can read about it here- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113540/ . I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. I think that in some ways, the movie was very very accurate to the lifestyles of some teens during that era and possibly today as well. I didn't like the ending, however. I give it 7/10.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 03:42:53 pm »
Kids was an awesome movie.  Telly wound up as a recurring character in The Wire which was nice to see.  Though it sucks Casper hung humself.  Anyone here see City Of God?

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 01:35:35 pm »
Saw District 9.
Go see it.
Action must with plenty of intense action, pretty freaking gorey, but the fact that the little weapons are capable of so much is part of what makes it so good. It also helps that the guys really deserve what comes to them, you can't help but smile!

Of course, then again I've been told I can have a sick sense of humor, what with Dark knight's Joker having me laugh hysterically with every one of his actions in the movie, specially the magic trick scene...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 09:11:50 pm »
(500) Days of Summer was great... It's too bad not enough people new about it, and not enough theatres showed it. I highly recommend it... and not just because Zooey Daschenel is in it...

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 09:30:41 pm »
I am very interested in seeing that movie. But we(family) wound up seeing Inglorious Basterds instead.
If you need any convincing on why to see that, I believe there is already an entire thread about that movie.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 10:12:58 pm »
My college had a movie night here recently and presented the new Star Trek Movie.

I liked it. I'm not a Trekkie but I liked it and I understood all of the references. Perhaps me not being a Trekkie helped in the liking it though, as I've heard that they pissed off a lot of loyal Star Trek fans with this.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 12:54:54 am »
specially the magic trick scene...

BEST SCENE IN MOVIE

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »
No, the best scene was clearly when they all turned to each other and said, "Damn, this Bat-Radar thing is pretty stupid, we'd better get rid of it by the end of the movie..."

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 04:38:37 pm »
My college had a movie night here recently and presented the new Star Trek Movie.

I liked it. I'm not a Trekkie but I liked it and I understood all of the references. Perhaps me not being a Trekkie helped in the liking it though, as I've heard that they pissed off a lot of loyal Star Trek fans with this.

Really? I'm a huge trekkie and I really loved it. Maybe it's because I hated the original series (oh wait, maybe I'm not such a big trekkie after all) and didn't know much about the characters, but it was really well made, and hell of a lot better than any star trek movie since First Contact. I'm glad they finally did something worthwhile with the franchise, because to me, it'd been dead since Voyager ended : (. It turned out to be a huge hit, so here's to hoping they'll go with it and make another one.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 04:39:03 pm »
Do Flash movies count in this catagory?

Cause the people doing Cyanide and Happiness get some MAJOR cred from this short:

http://www.explosm.net/comics/1712/

(its short, so just watch it.  Not even a minute long)

Perhaps one of my favorite things theyve ever done.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 12:56:11 pm »
The movies I saw this summer were:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Transformers 2
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince
District 9

In this order:

How could they do that to Deadpool?
Michael Bay derailed the franchise
007 without the style and Team America without the bellylaughs
So... much... magic... can't... form... straight... sentence...
Yes! A sci-fi film with actual character, theme, and depth!  I actually found myself internally rooting for the aliens and the government agent!

The lesson to be learned here?  It all pays off in the end.

Hey, if there's a better lesson to be learned, share it. :D

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 05:59:53 pm »

Hey, if there's a better lesson to be learned, share it. :D

Don't go see The Final Destination. I was spared, but my parents went and came back clawing out their eyes. They said it was the most horrible fucking movie they'd ever seen.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 06:36:26 pm »
... and not just because Zooey Daschenel is in it...

LIAR! SHE IS THE ONLY REASON ANYTHING IS GOOD.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 08:55:45 pm »
Can't wait to go see 9. Waiting til next week so I don't have to worry about annoying little kids who can't stay in their seats.