Poll

Do you like the Shakespearean English?

Yes, Woolsey's version of Frog's speech added element to Frog's character.
16 (50%)
The DS remake's version was better.
7 (21.9%)
Either is ok.
9 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Frog's speech  (Read 5658 times)

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Frog's speech
« on: August 27, 2009, 05:10:33 pm »
I tried to look to see if this poll was done in the past, and I didn't come across it.

Personally, I liked how Woolsey handled Frog's speech. It made sense to me considering Frog was from the middle ages, however I think that Woolsey should have taken it a step further and made EVERYONE from the middle ages speak like that! Woolsey seems to really love having characters in the games he translates speak Olde English. He made Cyan do it in FF6.

What does everyone else think? DISCUSS.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Re: Frog's speech
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:32:21 pm »

Actually, ZaichikArky , Frog is speaking Modern English.  I made a post similar to this one in the Shakespeare versus Crono thread about this sort of thing.

I think Woosley did a great at getting Frog's speech down.  I didn't mind that he was the only one speaking Shakespeare's English.  I thought it gave him a sense of pinache separate from the other characters.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:53:00 pm »
^ Yeah, I did notice that conversation about that. But it doesn't make much sense to call what he's saying "Modern English" does it? How about we just call it "Shakespearean English" then?

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

Very well.  "Shakesperean English" it shall be called.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:14:35 pm »
While Woolsey lost some important info in the translation, a lot of his decisions were pure genious IMHO. I mean, "Sara"? "Schala" is totally, totally where it's at. She would have seemed so generic had Woolsey kept the name "Sara." Same with Jaki/Janus, and Tina/Terra in Final Fantasy VI.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:37:44 pm »
I like the "plainer" names, myself. It adds subtlety to otherwise incredibly flamboyant characters (same deal with why blonde Tina>green sprite Terra).

I didn't really dig Frog's speech...and wasn't it a butchered version of w/e English he was using? That's what I keep hearing from people anyway, but regardless it seemed weird that 1) he has it & no one else does, 2) an accent like that would just suddenly occur & 3) just as suddenly go away...He's unique enough without making people think he's at fault for CC's accent system. :lol:

Artist's original intentions & such as well.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:41:11 pm »
I liked both versions. However, I will admit the plainer variant of speech suffices enough to make me very happy.

Only because such ways of speech are often cliche' and overused in that perspective of era, in any sci-fi or fantasy tale.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:46:02 am »
I always liked the Tina-Terra ambiguity. In my personal interpretation of that universe, Tina is the privileged but ordinary girl who grew up in the Empire without knowing her heritage or her power. Terra is what she truly is.

Heh. I didn't play the DS CT so I don't know what Frog's new speech is like. I didn't even know he had a speech, so I presume you're talking about the scene where he splits a mountain in half.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:52:48 am »
His speech is much how mine is. Formal, yet refined enough to be considered ordinary.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 01:44:55 am »
Oh! Hah. The topic creator meant "style of speech," as in the way he talks. Not a delivered address. My bad...

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 03:01:58 am »
Haven't played DS, so that's out.  But I liked Frog's speech.  In a way it reminded me of Yoda, though being small and green must of aided to that somehow.  I always find it strange that Glenn dosen't follow the same patterns in the cutscenes.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 05:04:43 am »
While Woolsey lost some important info in the translation, a lot of his decisions were pure genious IMHO. I mean, "Sara"? "Schala" is totally, totally where it's at. She would have seemed so generic had Woolsey kept the name "Sara." Same with Jaki/Janus, and Tina/Terra in Final Fantasy VI.

Agreed. I always appreciated what he did with that. Schala sounds a lot cooler than Sarah, as does Janus rather than Jacky. Though to the Japanese, those names would have been exotic.

Oh! Hah. The topic creator meant "style of speech," as in the way he talks. Not a delivered address. My bad...

LOL it's ok. Reminds me of that one thread where I thought the creator was asking about who Ramsus was as opposed to where the name "Ramsus" came from.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 12:07:47 pm »
I prefer the DS. In Frog's case, I think the simpler would be better(I've tried teaching some of these kids about this stuff, and sadly most kids don't understand squats worth of Shakesperian English. Anything Shakesperian period.). Plus it's supposed to be the more modern civilization with Guardia.

However when it comes to the people of Zeal like Schala and Janus, Woolsey all the way. They deserve a more exotic feel to them and Schala's about as exotic as you're gonna get.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 12:31:29 pm »
Woolsey is the effing king! Where else would you have gotten as colorful a descriptor as "Spoony Bard?"

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 12:58:37 pm »
Never said better, Truthordeal. *laughs*