Author Topic: Inglorious Basterds  (Read 1009 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Inglorious Basterds
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:25:44 am »
I went hoping for Tarantino goodness and because I'm becoming a Brad Pitt fan, but I was absolutely blown away.

The audience (and no audience has ever done this at any premiere I've been to in this city) clapped at the end. It was over three hours long, but it felt entertaining to the last drop. I often get tired of sitting in the same damn seat during the closing motions of a 2 hour movie, but every physical need or labor evaporated in the luster of this film. There were laughs, and some sad moments, and then laughs again, all underscored by brilliant action and suspense.

Amazing. See it.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Re: Inglorious Basterds
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:55:27 am »

Well, I haven't seen it yet, but you make it sound like it was awesome (usually you can tell a movie's awesome by the audience response).

But it has to be as good as you said it is.  After all, it's 86% on the Tomato-Meter.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:16:23 am »
I so want to see this...

...and now even more so!

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:42:00 am »
Gonna see it tomorrow. I seriously considered going to see the midnight showing that night at the Movie Tavern in Denton, but I had to work in the morning and I said fuck it.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:05:27 am »
Gonna see it tomorrow. I seriously considered going to see the midnight showing that night at the Movie Tavern in Denton, but I had to work in the morning and I said fuck it.

My friend works at that movie tavern... or he did before the summer. I have no idea now.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 05:16:04 am »
I gotta admit some of Tarantino's stuff makes me ornery.  A lot of the dialogue seems so trite and masturbatory (even a word?) to me, but I think that's more of me just being a hater asshole.  I also think it came from that Deathtrap crap with Kurt Russell and everyone's boner for Pulp Fiction, which I did not enjoy (and have been rebuked many times for).  With this movie, I had no idea.  No clue where it was headed or how it got there.  Good to know it was well received, guess I just gotta get off my own hate wagon.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:31:07 am »
You've gotta kinda look at it from his perspective, I think...He's making specific genre tribute films a lot of the time. If you're unfamiliar with, don't understand the draw of or just don't like the genre that his specific film deals with, there's that chance you just won't like it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »
Yeah, I was hyped for Death Proof, but ended up not seeing it because of everything I'd heard (I may eventeually see it for Kurt Russell, since Big Trouble in Little China is one of my favorite movies).

I still need to watch Pulp Fiction. I went into Kill Bill 2 expecting tons of action and stuff, but it kind of bored me (perhaps I'd like it more these days).

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 07:39:01 pm »
If theres anyone that its socially acceptable to be prejudiced against, its the Natzeys.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »
I just got back from seeing it. It was completely awesome. Not since Dead Alive have I grinned so much at a massive shootout scene. I still like Kill Bill 2 better, but Basterds is really one of Tarantino's finest.

I gotta admit some of Tarantino's stuff makes me ornery.  A lot of the dialogue seems so trite and masturbatory (even a word?) to me, but I think that's more of me just being a hater asshole.  I also think it came from that Deathtrap crap with Kurt Russell and everyone's boner for Pulp Fiction, which I did not enjoy (and have been rebuked many times for).  With this movie, I had no idea.  No clue where it was headed or how it got there.  Good to know it was well received, guess I just gotta get off my own hate wagon.

Funny, I consider Tarantino's dialogue to be the best out of any modern day director.  He really has a gift with words, like no other.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 01:20:07 pm »
Yeah, I was hyped for Death Proof, but ended up not seeing it because of everything I'd heard (I may eventeually see it for Kurt Russell, since Big Trouble in Little China is one of my favorite movies).

I still need to watch Pulp Fiction. I went into Kill Bill 2 expecting tons of action and stuff, but it kind of bored me (perhaps I'd like it more these days).

kill bill 1 was the question, 2 was the answer. or 1 was the action and 2 was the aftermath. you can't separate them. they're equal halves of a whole film.

and you DO need to see pulp fiction. it's not the best movie in the world, but it's not the worst by any means. is it formulaic? yes, by today's standards. but it was supposedly groundbreaking when it came out and it's an entertaining piece of work. for what the word is worth, it can rightly be called "classic".

deathproof wasn't great, but terror planet was! that and sin city returned my faith in robert rodriguez after the kid movies he did. (but now i get it. he does movies for HIS kids. he doesn't do kid movies.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:22:32 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 01:38:21 pm »
I saw "500 Days of Summer" last night and it was quite excellent.  Inglourious Basterds is the next film to see on my list... Gotta love Tarantino!

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »
People clapped at your place too Z?

I saw this opening night, much to my surprise.

I felt the beginning was a little slow, but regardless, I felt the film was as Brad Pitt says at the end a "masterpiece".

In the end you have to realize that Tarantino made two films, a comedic and a dramatic, that's what I loved.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 10:44:11 pm »
^ I too think that the beginning was too slow. Though I guess one of the main purposes was to set up for the character of Asshole-detective (sorry, I didn't learn any names in this movie...). That actor ended up winning some kind of award too. His performance was quite a highlight of the movie. I think the movie could have stood to delete some scenes, but seeing it, I didn't feel like it was too long or drug on.

Lets see if this spoiler thing works... Ok, does. Highlight to read.

There are some things I didn't get in it. One, why did the detective kill that traitor woman randomly if he wanted to end the war anyway? It just seemed kind of pointless to kill her. There was another issue, but I can't recall it right now. It kind of is the problem with Tarantino movies. I think that too many characters needlessly die.