Poll

What do you think is the worst rpg ever to be programmed & released to the public?

Beyond the Beyond (PS1)
0 (0%)
Quest 64 (N64)
4 (23.5%)
Lagoon (SNES)
1 (5.9%)
Shadow Madness (PS1)
0 (0%)
Other (Please Specify)
12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Worst RPG Ever  (Read 32154 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: Worst RPG Ever
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 01:34:48 am »
Sword of Mana for the Game Boy Advance.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 01:50:39 am »
Worst...well I've played a lot of games that were terrible to the point of me playing it because it was so incredibly bad. but worst well hmm....

Last Odyssey and FFII I guess both of which were completely uninteresting and boring the worst thing for a game to be.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 02:26:47 am »
Having recently been playing Legend of Dragoon, I must say... The translation is horrific.  Fun story (quite cliche, however)...

Legend of Dragoon, much like Chrono Trigger, starts out quite cliché, but picks up as it goes along...I don't know anything about its translation though...I thought it was a good first try from SCEA and still don't quite understand why they haven't seemed to give it a second go (even if not a LoD2)...

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 12:02:29 pm »
I played Quest 64 once.

I never want to play it again... except to figure out why the f*** i played it in the first place?

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 08:25:50 pm »
Legend of Dragoon, much like Chrono Trigger, starts out quite cliché, but picks up as it goes along...I don't know anything about its translation though...I thought it was a good first try from SCEA and still don't quite understand why they haven't seemed to give it a second go (even if not a LoD2)...

I kind of feel the same way about Heavenly Sword.  I still don't get why don't produce the sequel to one of the best-selling games of 2007.  But then again, I'm not that big a fan of the PS3.  Kinda sounds hypocritical, doesn't it?

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 07:01:30 am »
I have never even heard of any of those games. I'm very selective about the RPGs I play and these days, I do research to find the best ones. Too bad that I don't have any terrible RPG-playing experiences... or maybe not.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 06:13:20 pm »
Huh... I like alot of the games mentioned so far. Evermore, Terranigma, Mystic Quest, those are all games that I still might break out and play.

As long as it has fun gameplay, I'm good (which is probably why I own Gauntlet).

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 07:05:21 pm »
 Quest 64 isn't so bad if you know and can tell which fucking direction you're going in before it's too late (Cull Hazard took 3 days cause I kept walking back to the start.) Besides, Baragoon Moore was badass.

I'd elect Y's III. The first two in the series are living legends, but #3 on SNES was like...         dumb NPC's, dumb jRPG hair/armor/sword, and you have just your sword. Though, I did like the Lava zone: reminded me of Konami's Salamander kinda, with the flame arches, the birds, and the serpent miniboss.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 07:39:59 pm »
RPGs are just generally good! it seems other genres you can very easily come up with a top ten worst games in it's genre but RPG it seems difficult to come up with even one!
the one I listed is annoying and the worst I've played, but it's a good game! Gotta agree with Thought. This makes me wonder now... and curious simply for finding it and nothing else, what IS some of the worst RPGs ever?

Edit: Yes, I know many of my phrasings are complete butchers on the english dialect but I'm busy with some very important and don't have time to think out what I type right now!

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 04:06:43 am »
I'm gonna pick one people may know. Lots of bad games, and tho Mystic Quest wasn't great, there was an X factor in there if you can get into it. On paper, it sucked, and like FF6, the dungeons were too long.

For me, worst RPG I ever played was Chrono Cross!

Yes really. I thought it's music and stuff was decent but the excess of characters made everyone seem so 'generic' in reply. And this was years before I knew about multi-plot games like Saga Frontier.

The problem with Chrono Cross was the storyline as a concept. In fragments, watching someone play it you might think its part of some awesome and long RPG like FF7. But when you really get into it, it just feels like... a generic RPG. Like it wasn't made with a dreamteam, with love, or passion or a real desire to create something. It felt scripted like it was a boss telling his subbordinates to make X Y and Z by a certain date. I for one felt that it was a generic RPG that rode on Chrono Trigger's coattails. Without knowing of radical dreamers there was NO connection for a lot of people, and its like someone took the last version of the script and threw in some words like "arris dome" and "chrono trigger" in there and made a couple references to ride on CT's coattails. This game was Mario 2. A game made from another factory with a stamp on it, a few CT words bolted on just to sell a few more copies. If this game was sold in america with a name like "seiken densetsu 4" it would have been a total flop. The whole ending, you hear that speech and then just...lets toss in the name Schala and say she's been the ultimate enemy. I was like what the hell? This was outta nowhere.

I played through all of Chrono Cross JUST because I love Chrono Trigger as my favorite RPG ever made. Otherwise I wouldn't have finished it, no question.

P.S. Screw Capcha

To4oo4

• Porrean (+50)
  • Again, the bitter black winds begin to howl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 07:53:03 pm »
Foto Showdown.

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 09:43:44 pm »
Not sure if it counts as bad, but Jade Cocoon felt pretty meh to me. I didn't care about any of the characters or the story, and I just kept pushing through a battle system I sort of grasped. Don't even remember the ending. I just assume whatever disease targeting the women went away.

I beat Phantasy Star Zero, but wasn't too hot about it either. Also didn't help that the music was shit.

I don't think Chrono Cross was the worst, but as an RPG and "the" CT sequel, it definitely falls short. Great for "what ifs" though, okay as a side game.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2019, 04:29:36 pm »
If I'm being objective, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is hands-down the worst RPG I've ever played. But I knew its reputation and understood what I was getting myself into. I just had to experience the badness for myself to truly believe it.

On the other hand, the biggest disappointment for me personally was Seiken Densetsu 3. Beautiful graphics, beautiful music, sequel to one of the greatest games of all time... I had high hopes. But the tedious combat system and horrendous level curve rendered it a nigh-unplayable slog. I wish I could go back and un-play it; better it remain a mystery than an unpleasant memory.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 10:07:30 am »
I was also a bit disappointed by SD3. I played it when the English ROM first came out (2000-ish?) but gave up. A few years ago I finally replayed it and beat it.

I think your complaints are the same I had: grind-y at times due to poor level curve, lackluster advances in combat mechanics, etc. I was also frustrated by the multi-protagonist/branching storyline element. I dunno, I have never loved that mechanic in video games, since it requires multiple playthroughs to see all the content and I rarely get the chance to play a game more than once.

But yeah, the soundtrack was topnotch and the graphics were stellar; they were probably the pinnacle of SNES 16-bit graphics.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 06:23:28 pm »
I think your complaints are the same I had: grind-y at times due to poor level curve, lackluster advances in combat mechanics, etc.

I don't mind grinding so much when it's optional, but when it's absolutely required for progression, I grow tired of it very quickly. This can be mitigated somewhat if the battle system is interesting, but this game also failed at that. Enemies weren't dangerous at all (except I think there was a ninja with a really unfair one-hit-kill move), they just had absurdly high hit points. Battles felt more like chopping lumber than fighting.

I guess maybe my expectations here are a bit high. Chrono Trigger really spoiled me in this regard—the level curve is absolutely perfect. You never have to grind, but if you want to, battling is actually fun.

I was also frustrated by the multi-protagonist/branching storyline element. I dunno, I have never loved that mechanic in video games, since it requires multiple playthroughs to see all the content and I rarely get the chance to play a game more than once.

Ordinarily I enjoy that kind of thing, but I couldn't stomach the thought of grinding through a replay. My problem with the story was that my characters didn't mesh well (I picked the knight, the witch, and the little cleric girl). They never once came across as an actual party; just three people who happened to be traveling together for whatever reason. Maybe other character combinations were better.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:07:42 am by Razig »