Poll

If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?

Eliminate all the funny accents.
6 (3.7%)
Increase the game's difficulty.
9 (5.5%)
Give Zoah some clothes.
4 (2.4%)
Totally different battle system -- return to ye olde Active Time Battle System days!
9 (5.5%)
Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
40 (24.4%)
MORE cute comic relief characters -- the story's too depressing as it is!
3 (1.8%)
Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
45 (27.4%)
Make one or more of the following characters playable: Dario, Belthasar, Miguel, Garai, the small Fire Dragon, other (please specify).
6 (3.7%)
Better explain the underlying story using Compendium theory, and in a way that isn't so esoteric and cramped into the last minutes of the game.
23 (14%)
OTHER! (Please post what!)
19 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?  (Read 79385 times)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2018, 02:18:59 am »
Thanks, CptOvaltine! And those words you used, "make a way more compelling narrative", I think that's more accurate with what I'm trying to say here. There are many game mechanics in Cross that could be improved or "fixed", but I'm more interested in the story.

*Complete Harle's character arc*
Chrono Cross has an incredible subversion in its story that I think is criminally overlooked/overshadowed. Throughout most of the game, we hear stories of the Dragons: Great gods who sealed an evil flame away and restored peace to the land. We are led to believe that the Dragons are the good guys, even being rescued by one and given their blessings. Yet that's all subverted the moment we defeat FATE and the Dragons reunite into their true self to seek vengeance on behalf of the planet. The planet vs the "spawn" of Lavos--again, subverting what is seen in Chrono Trigger. As a sequel, this is what I want to see!

It's the classic man vs nature, and we see it again and again in Cross--the dwarves, the hydra, the demi-humans. Yet, in the end, nothing is truly resolved. The Dragon God is defeated. Immediately, the Devourer becomes the focal point, a heretofore unforeseen threat, and all meaningful resolution of the man vs nature conflict is lost. Time is even reset, and while that could suggest a gift of second chances, it feels hollow.

Ideally, the Chrono Cross item should have been designed for use against the Dragon God as a proper resolution to the story's conflict. The dungeon of Terra Tower even sets us up for this! The game can still keep the same endings: Defeat the God in combat, and the resolution is unsatisfactory; you stopped the threat but didn't solve it. Use the Chrono Cross, however--an item of all six elements, of combined love and hate, a literal bridge between worlds--and true understanding is reached.

And who better to fill the role of Schala and give the end-of-game dialogue than Harle? A Dragon herself, yet one shown to be in constant turmoil. Born into both a human world and a Dragon one, she silently battles her role as a Dragon emissary and her budding affection for Serge. Harle should be the bridge that settles the conflict. And all the Dragons have a relic; why can't hers be the Chrono Cross?

Sure, there are ways to balance the combat, or make the elements actually relevant in battle beyond activating the Chrono Cross...but I'm with you.  Both Trigger and Cross are beloved games (to me anyway) because of fantastic stories.  The game play is a second for me, which I know is not always the popular opinion.

I love the idea of completing Harle's story, and can totally see your point about her being a catalyst for the resolution of the dragons vs humans.  Honestly, I felt the whole man vs nature element of Cross was poorly executed. Yes you have a few repeated elements where they try to drive that home with the Dwarfs, but honestly, if that's going to play a larger part in the story then you as a player need to see the effect of that conflict IN the story...more so then just the Hydra Marshes.

I also agree that having the Chrono Cross be the resolution for the Dragons would have been ideal. the way the game plays sets the Dragons up as the big bad guy, twists included.  It's kind of an odd moment when you realize there's another element to the story that just comes out of nowhere, for almost no other reason then to link Cross to Trigger. As much as I love Cross, I've never loved the ending, and would love to see an ending that doesn't plot dump for 10 minuets after the game ends, and is also more relevant to the struggles you encounter on your journey to the end.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2018, 12:50:08 pm »
@Acacia Sgt: I like that idea with the characters. I've personally never had a problem with how many characters there are, but cutting down the number of party members makes sense. Especially since so many of them could simply be side quest, like you said.

Oh man, imagining a confrontation between Leena and her father... Why didn't they do that?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2018, 06:06:47 pm »
Hot damn, those enhancements, Kodokami, are great. Things I would have never considered.

To4oo4

• Porrean (+50)
  • Again, the bitter black winds begin to howl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2019, 01:39:15 pm »
Less party members. 45 is just...  :picardno

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 07, 2020, 02:11:35 pm »
Chrono Cross for me is a brilliant game, and I love it just as much as Trigger for its own reasons.  It does have its flaws, but I really would not change too much overall.

One change I would make is providing a clearer picture of what happened to Crono and Marle after the Fall of Guardia.  It is still left ambiguous and while they appear to be dead in Home World, it is suggested they are alive in Another World.  However there are no hints to what happened to them after the fall outside of ambiguous factors here and there that leave room open for a lot of speculation.  Ambiguous nature is not bad by default, but it was handled wrong in this case.  The fall being added with little post context kind of limits what is possible and what isn't.

Another change I would make is better pacing.  Instead of info dumps at 3 points of the game, the largest of which on disk 2, there should have been more consistent explanation with decent hints being strewn about.  The hunt for the Dragon Gods is a perfect example where the plot just stops, just to have the rest dumped on you later on.  That would be a great place to add some context to the overarching plot IMO.

As for a bigger change, maybe a smaller cast with more character development.  Focus on Guile having a stronger connection to Janus aside from the retcon of a retcon added to Chrono Trigger DS.  Norris, Fargo, and the Dragoons is all we really needed for the second half (aside from Harle for a brief time) and make Serge, Kid, Glenn, and Guile the main cast for the first half.  Have a stronger reunion after Serge gets his body back as well for FK sake!

But aside from that, I would leave it as is and only tie up loose ends that need to be.  It was the first Chrono game I ever played, and led me to Chrono Trigger.  Even as is, it holds a special place in my heart.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:47:35 pm by Sheiken »

anchrono

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Leo Compatibility
« Reply #335 on: July 14, 2021, 07:03:13 am »
I think the story's too depressing, so I will add some cute comic relief characters.