Author Topic: NES Chrono Trigger Mod  (Read 2647 times)

DarthMagus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Sith Lord of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
NES Chrono Trigger Mod
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:32:04 pm »
This is hilarious, both for the content of the game and for the reviewer, who uses a computer voice to speak. Anyway, it's an NES mod of Chrono Trigger, it's all in Chinese, the colors are awful, the screen seems to be zoomed in quite a bit and the music is very basic at best. It's worth a look if you can handle the visual and audio torture that is this video. XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N23G3e7z0Wg
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:51:01 pm by DarthMagus »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: NES Chrono Trigger Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:08:04 pm »
Bwahahaha. The racism comments, coupled with the computer voice, were just grrrrrrrreat.

DarthMagus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:12:08 pm »
I actually didn't listen to it enough to hear the racism comments. Thus, I apologize if that is offensive to anyone. I posted for the sheer absurdity of the mod and nothing more. Promise.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:35:13 pm »
i read about this once. its not a mod so much as it is a chinese bootleg. they couldnt afford anything past an nes so they had to port the snes game to the nes like most chinese bootlegs. the final boss is mowang (magus) and rumor has it that not even the creators beat him hes so ballsbustingly hard. some guy had to hack the game just to make him beatable.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:06:10 pm »
i read about this once. its not a mod so much as it is a chinese bootleg. they couldnt afford anything past an nes so they had to port the snes game to the nes like most chinese bootlegs. the final boss is mowang (magus) and rumor has it that not even the creators beat him hes so ballsbustingly hard. some guy had to hack the game just to make him beatable.

Hacking a bootleg port?

what has the world come to...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 02:23:05 pm »
I still love what those bootleggers did with the battle music. I can imagine that as boss music for Megaman II. Are there any NSF files available from that game?

DarthMagus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 02:58:41 pm »
I still love what those bootleggers did with the battle music. I can imagine that as boss music for Megaman II. Are there any NSF files available from that game?

I'm going to have to disagree there. The main melody was tolerable, but there was that constant high pitched line during the battle music. That made it ear-bleedingly bad.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:58 pm »
Strange as the music sounded, it was passable. The enemies, on the other hand, were despicable. I mean, they could have at least attempted to make 'em more Crono-like. I think it's generally agreed that this mod/port/thing was terrible; what made this video grand was the commentary.

DarthMagus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 03:21:24 pm »
Strange as the music sounded, it was passable. The enemies, on the other hand, were despicable. I mean, they could have at least attempted to make 'em more Crono-like. I think it's generally agreed that this mod/port/thing was terrible; what made this video grand was the commentary.

This is China. There was probably some Communist mandate that stated the characters have to look Chinese. XD

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 03:32:38 pm »
I remember playing the ROM of this.

Beedrills, fuck yeah.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 04:32:08 pm »
This is China. There was probably some Communist mandate that stated the characters have to look Chinese. XD

Maybe so, DarthMagus.  So what would happen if the Chinese Thought Police found out that this game was being bootlegged into America?  Remember, "fair trade" to them is an oxymoron. 

You were right, x_XTacTX_x.  I thought the high-pitched ripoff music was the clincher, but the Beedrill and other Pokemon for monster battles was the final nail in the coffin for this game.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 05:34:19 pm »
(How do I make this fat conehead go away???)

I remember eharing about this, but I only saw screenshots.  Truly turrible on a new level.  It really was the Chronomon sequel game....

But the commentary did make me laugh...dude forgot about Johnny!  Anyway, the line that got me was "This guy looks a bit pale" or something like that.  Wasn't ready for it!

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 09:04:55 pm »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGCT1I37k10&feature=related

This one is pretty good

....What a douche. He doesn't even use an actual microphone, he uses that damn text-to-speech bull shiite.

Plus, you know, the fact that he's trying to rape Chrono Trigger with rather lame jokes....Is he supposed to be ripping off the Angry Video Game Nerd? Because he fails epochlly.

And his response to every comment is something banal, like "Your face," or "No u!" What a jackass.

I mean seriously:

None of this is directed at you, Neo. I just wanted to make that clear.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 10:15:23 pm »
Reminds me of the (stereotypical) newgrounds animator.

Not you, Neo =D