Author Topic: Schala a Violation of the Conservation of Matter?  (Read 8871 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Schala a Violation of the Conservation of Matter?
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2008, 11:24:26 pm »
Hey now, that ain't mine, that is just the only universe we absolutely know exists.

At the very least, I'd argue that the multiverse veiw is probably true, for the chronoverse, but on a limited scale. That is, it is unusual for dimensions to split (and indeed, they might not ever normally split after the creation of the universe), but that there is more than one dimension (or in other words, "more than one universe").

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2008, 11:48:19 pm »
Alright then.. Occam's razor must have applied in the Chronoverse, slashing off other possible altenate realities and leaving behind only home and another...

(or probably the multiverse does not really apply? Could have the "dimensional" split been the result of highly unusual and specialized circumstances, not by probabilistic propositions?? :?)

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2008, 11:00:22 pm »
from what i'm aware it is that matter, or energy cannot be broken down, there is only a fixed amount of energy in the universe not because there has to be. From what I know energy being lost from this universe would not break the laws providing that that energy is its entirety is accounted for elsewhere

Quote from a friend of mine who is majoring in Physics. This is his two cents. He doesn't think it would break any rules, apparently.

killercactus

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2008, 09:35:46 am »
Well it was said that Dragonopolis was pulled from an alternate dimension, yet it also seems that Another World should, by all rights, be itself a discarded timeline. Another world is the timeline that existed before Kid traveled back in time to save Serge. When she did so, Home World should have become the primary timeline and Another World should have been discarded (curiously, where Crono traveled time to save the future, Kid's travels doomed that future). Instead, Another World became a dimension. Thus, Dragonopolis might likewise be seen as both an alternate dimension (like Another World) and a timeline that should be discarded (also like Another World). Or, I suppose, Dragonopolis might have actually been pulled from the DBT itself (if so, that might help to explain why the Time Devourer had access to the Dragon God to absorb in the first place; it was already there, but then it was pulled back out of the DBT, much in the same way as the dead sea).

This (the bolded part especially) does seem like a paradox.  Using the same time travel rules as Chrono Trigger, and assuming time is brittle (not elastic as you explain, like in Harry Potter or the movie Kate and Leopold, for example), Another World should've been in the DBT, and Home World should've taken over starting at the point of Kid's arrival to save Serge.  However, something existed at Kid's arrival point (on the Time Error axis) that didn't exist when Crono was jumping around time - Lavos/the TD in the DBT.  With the Time Devourer in the DBT, perhaps it is impossible for ruined timelines to be sent there.  Maybe the very presence of the TD prohibits entrance into the DBT, unless you have a Time Egg?  It is known that, once the TD is destroyed, the timelines are unified - therefore "alternate dimensions" no longer exist, because the DBT is back to being what it's supposed to be.

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 09:02:00 am »
Well...Maybe Lavos could consume space-time since the beginning. As a living being with dreams of procreation, it didn't really want to do that. Once the Mammon Machine/Lavos and Schala merged, she tainted it with her negative emotions (Something Lavos might not have, as a super-efficient being). With these dark, emotions, Lavos was struck with the Thanatos Instinct, and no longer cared for itself, or its offspring (Similar to how Schala no longer cared for Janus and everyone else).

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2009, 10:50:48 pm »
Well, I'm not comfortable on throwing out conversation of time / energy / matter, so can we just call this a plot hole?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 08:14:39 am »
Okay, how about this:

Each dimension has its own Darkness Beyond Time, which does exist as a physical place in some finite quantity of space, almost like an "underworld" of the timeline. The DBT is naturally a closed system, as is the normal timeline.

When a timeline is erased, it is subsumed to the Darkness Beyond Time, then immediately starts being "dissolved" and recombined to compose the new timeline according to the actions of the time traveler. Fan creators can even write the existence of a temporal backlog; like the tenth oldest timeline is the one subsumed to create the newest, meaning one can access and study the last nine discarded timelines in the Darkness Beyond Time at any one time. In fact, we need a backlog of at least some quantity for those visions of past timelines in the Darkness Beyond Time to exist.

And as for the issue of Schala... When she fell into the DBT, can we say that an equal mass of air, potential energy, etc. rushed out, preserving the balance of each in both the DBT system and the universe system? Sort of like displacing water, which rushes into the system from which the displacing object came from.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:18:12 am by ZeaLitY »