Author Topic: I just got back from DEFCON.  (Read 582 times)

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
I just got back from DEFCON.
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:39:01 pm »
I don't think I've been quite so thrilled to be anywhere before.  What an amazing and diverse group of people...  I was lucky in that most of the talks I caught were also really interesting and informative.  My eyes were really opened.  I'm hoping that I can be a little more active next year, and I am absolutely going next year.  (Was anyone else there?  Has anyone else been?  Anyone here a regular?  Compendium posse next year?)

Didn't log in for a while because there was no way I wanted to subject my computer to any network around the convention!

Vegas was beautiful in day and night, but I didn't plan enough to really make the most of my time there.  I got sick of gambling after losing only $30.  Just really wasn't that exciting.  I got to see the "Bodies" exhibit at Luxor, where real human bodies are "polymerized", if I remember the term correctly.  Essentially, everything is plasticized and preserved, and placed on display "as is".  So, all of the displays are real human bodies manipulated to display this or that aspect of our biological functionality.  Aside from the surreal factor, the displays surprised me in that the proportions of everything inside the human body were not at all what I was expecting.  Just strange to know that all it does what it does. 

That's all.  Just wanted to share and maybe pique some interest.

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: I just got back from DEFCON.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:41:32 pm »
Did they ever find out anything more about that fake ATM?

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:51:41 pm »
I don't know!  Since this was my first time there I wasn't really in the know about a lot of things.  Maybe I'll, uh, socialize more next time...

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:34:54 pm »
So Defcon is a hacking convention. Gee, I only attend anime conventions! So you are interested in computer programming and such?

I hope my thing with Kumoricon/PAX will end up working out.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:08:17 am »
My interest in games has always been so selective that I can't really see going to gamer conventions, which is too bad because I'd like to go to the PAX shindig with you guys.  Hope it works out for everyone.

I like computers and programming, and much of my job revolves around databases.  More than anything, though, I really enjoyed seeing the ingenuity of the presenters and participants at defcon.  Just being around that kind of creativity, diligence, and enthusiasm for four days was a real rush.  I also gained a healthy interest in network security.