Author Topic: The Zeal Ruins  (Read 5227 times)

DarthMagus

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The Sith Lord of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
The Zeal Ruins
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:16:30 pm »
Here's a little theory I've had... maybe more of a dream than a theory, even, but a theory nonetheless.

The Zeal ruins north of Medina, where you find the Swallow and the Safe Helm. If you remember, you can see that area in Zeal as well when you are there, but it is never accessible. I find this quite mysterious. I've often found myself wondering why they'd go through all that trouble just to keep a sword and some armor from being accessed. It seems like a waste of space. They protect it with the power of a pendant, and those items are outclassed by other items. What if there is something else there that is never explained in the game? Something so powerful or profound that it was locked up behind the power of a pendant so that it could stand the test of time? Perhaps something underground, perhaps something hidden. Who knows? We don't, obviously, but it's fun to play with the ideas of what could be there.

What do you all think?

idioticidioms

Re: The Zeal Ruins
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 03:49:31 pm »
I think that if there was, they would have found a way to incorporate it into the game, but throughout all the eras, all magical doors and locks that the Kingdom of Zeal put into place are found and opened. All the chests that need the pendant to be unlocked, all the doors, etc. stem from Zeal. It is completely believable, since Zeal is only one continent in the sky, that the amount of said items found in the game to be unlocked are exactly the number that withstood the test of time. They are items that were believed to be the pinnacle of Zeal evolution, but they weren't necessary the pinnacle of human evolution. No matter how good the weapon, or the warrior, there always comes along one that is better. It's only a matter of time.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:36:11 pm »
Well, it was more complex in the pre-release.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Sealed_Pyramid_(CTP).html

DarthMagus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:54:26 pm »
Well, it was more complex in the pre-release.
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Sealed_Pyramid_(CTP).html

I know, but that's not official since it wasn't part of the final product, so I don't really count that. As for what iditoicidioms said, they're found and opened, but that doesn't mean that those are the only ones. After all, if one were to possibly try diving to the bottom of the ocean, they'd find the ruins of the undersea palace and such, as well as debris from Zeal. Granted, it would be a massive undertaking and they probably don't have the technology in 1,000 A.D. to do a deep water dive. Moreover, they wouldn't know what they were looking at unless Crono & co. were also on the dive. I just find it difficult to believe that's all there was to be found, specifically at those ruins.

I always played around with the idea that the gurus knew that the destruction of Zeal was coming, so they hid power and objects within the temple possibly underground or in a pocket dimension that exists on the grounds of the ruins that hold the ability to possibly reconstruct the kingdom. Or, at the very least pass on the powers artifacts and information of the kingdom on to whomever finds it. They didn't want Zeal simply to be destroyed and completely forgotten, so this was their way of ensuring that the future may one day be able to discover its secrets. They sealed them with pendant power, because they wouldn't want such information or power getting into the wrong hands.

It's a theory. Obviously one that can't be proven, but it's fun to think of what could have been.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:52:56 pm »
I always played around with the idea that the gurus knew that the destruction of Zeal was coming, so they hid power and objects within the temple possibly underground or in a pocket dimension that exists on the grounds of the ruins that hold the ability to possibly reconstruct the kingdom

Or, its just that the structures they built to house their experiments were very durable, especially when it comes to weapons.  Imagine if the laser Dalton mounted on the Epoch misfired within the city limits during its construction.  As mentioned in the future, the doors that are sealed aren't phased by explosives, so not only are they durable, (and thus why some survived the destruction of Zeal) but also as seen in the future, used for privacy and security for a lab.

But yes, I would say that the gurus could see the writing on the wall.  That's probably part of why they were thrown into time holes and (as done by Janus) banished in the modified timeline.  I would say that each one had their own particular regard for the civilization though (and its royalty)  as both Melchoir and Gaspar seem more or less content, or at least at peace, with their surroundings, while Bathesar has a compulsive obsession with returning.

DarthMagus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 02:14:03 am »
You mean the Blackbird and not the Epoch, right?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 02:18:46 am »
Maybe the laser in general, to be more exact. No matter in which one they were installed, they are capable of destroying the other one.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 06:18:45 am »
They were sealed around the same time as the Sun Stone because they're elemental weapons, and Queen Zeal wanted to end use of elements and focus on Lavos energy.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:30:07 am »
The Zeal ruin makes me begin to think that RD Viper Manor is build near Medina.

:lol:

------

From Melchior's house, you can still say Guardia is a northern country and Porre is a well developed country in the southern continent as metioned in game.
And the reason why Viper Manor has soooo many monsters, might be, it is in an area that lives many Mystics.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:43:09 am by utunnels »

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 02:30:20 pm »
He makes a point that would have been better made before CT:DS. It could have been like "Long Ago Zeal use to use the Sun Stone but it would produce a magical byproduct called WEAPON. So we sealed it down there and if it was ever to be released we could these powerful weapons built especially for their return." And depending on which you chose determined which boss you fought.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 10:39:38 pm »
You mean the Blackbird and not the Epoch, right?

Well, i meant the model of laser that was to be mounted in the Epoch.  I doubt Dalton designed it from scratch onboard the blackbird, so it would originally be built and tested within Zeal.  I used that laser as an example because its one of the few that we get to see its destructive potential.

idioticidioms

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 04:49:15 pm »
They wouldn't have found the ruins of the Ocean Palace, because the Ocean Palace became the Black Omen once Lavos gave Zeal immortality, etc.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 05:39:01 pm »
This isn't about the Ocean Palace, it's of the Forest Ruins near Medina.

DarthMagus

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Site
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 01:23:55 pm »
They wouldn't have found the ruins of the Ocean Palace, because the Ocean Palace became the Black Omen once Lavos gave Zeal immortality, etc.

They might not find everything, but there's bound to be /something/ down there. Pieces of the continent, ruins, technology... It wouldn't have just disappeared.

Kronopolis

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 10:51:54 pm »
in my opinion, Zeal serves as "lost technology" in chrono universe. If you think it clearly, the ancient technology of zeal is able to open the sealed door in 2300 AD. I think the story writer wanted to insert the dungeon as sign of "advanced ancient civilization".