Author Topic: Would a new "Ocean Palace Lavos" ending have been a good idea?  (Read 9577 times)

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Seeing as how the Ocean Palace Lavos is so much more powerful than the Lavos you're supposed to beat, I was really disappointed to get the Developer's Room ending for beating him in the original. I was hoping they'd add a new ending for it in the DS version, but of course we only got the one new ending.

My question is this.

Would an ending involving Schala being rescued immediately in an ending after the defeat of Ocean Palace Lavos been appropriate, or would even the non-canonical chance to save her have contradicted the true canon and Chrono Cross too much? I always figured that players who really wanted to save her before her 13,000 years of suffering should be rewarded with the chance to do so by beating up on the ultra-difficult Ocean Palace Lavos in a New Game +, but seeing as how that would've directly contradicted Chrono Cross, I know that might've stuck in a lot of craws (though nobody seems to complain about the crazy Reptite endings, etc.).

So what do you guys think? Would you have wanted a 14th ending? (Technically it would've been the 13th and the Dream Devourer/Dimensional Vortex would've been 14th) Or would this non-canonical ending be too realistic (and thus taken seriously by many as the "real" ending even though official canon contradicts it)?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Would a new "Ocean Palace Lavos" ending have been a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:37:14 pm »
An extra ending in that moment? Absolutely yes.

I mean, if you're given a different ending by defeating Lavos at different points of the game, then why not at this point? Besides, the Ocean Palace Lavos fight is one important point to add such thing.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:42:46 pm »
Another ending? Hell yes...so long as its not one of the other various endings which are just the credits with a different background.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:18 am »
It don't have to be NG+...Its supposed to be for like people that REALLY get into it (thus the quick creds, which I always thought was an especially cute element of that ending).

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 03:47:04 pm »
Well, I mentioned New Game + because you'd REALLY have to grind to be able to beat Ocean Palace Lavos on a regular game.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:41:08 pm »
 Here's the thing about an Ocean Palace ending:

Because of Chrono Trigger's unique ability to bend continuity by defying the fourth dimension, such an ending would most definetely work. The only issue is that, well, there's still more game if you wanna lose and go see it. But that's about it.

You see, beating the game there would cause time up to that point to break off from the expected path and skew into another tangent...

...most likely? You wake up somewhere in Zeal, with Schala looking after you. Up until now, she's been pretty gentle yet scared, so when this most unexpected slaughter occurs, she is simultaneously amazed and grateful: You've just saved Zeal where she could not. You've done the impossible, and Zeal will continue to soar because of it. As for the Queen? Some say she used to be okay, so with time she might actually turn back to normal.

...Janus however is an interesting case. One of two things can happen at this point.

1: Janus was still cast into the middle ages during the battle, the Prophet opens up to his family.
2: The Prophet/Magus vanishes into the future of Zeal, and nobody remembers him. Janus is unaware.

This is highly debatable of course, but changing history is changing history. In any case, stopping Lavos here and now is probably highly favorable for the Fiendlord. Almost like waking up from a long dream.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:53:48 pm »
Here's the thing about an Ocean Palace ending:

Because of Chrono Trigger's unique ability to bend continuity by defying the fourth dimension, such an ending would most definetely work. The only issue is that, well, there's still more game if you wanna lose and go see it. But that's about it.

You see, beating the game there would cause time up to that point to break off from the expected path and skew into another tangent...

...most likely? You wake up somewhere in Zeal, with Schala looking after you. Up until now, she's been pretty gentle yet scared, so when this most unexpected slaughter occurs, she is simultaneously amazed and grateful: You've just saved Zeal where she could not. You've done the impossible, and Zeal will continue to soar because of it. As for the Queen? Some say she used to be okay, so with time she might actually turn back to normal.

...Janus however is an interesting case. One of two things can happen at this point.

1: Janus was still cast into the middle ages during the battle, the Prophet opens up to his family.
2: The Prophet/Magus vanishes into the future of Zeal, and nobody remembers him. Janus is unaware.

This is highly debatable of course, but changing history is changing history. In any case, stopping Lavos here and now is probably highly favorable for the Fiendlord. Almost like waking up from a long dream.

That would be an awesome ending and a suitable reward for beating one of the game's toughest "optional" bosses. Of course, you did bring up a good point, there's still plenty of game afterwards and you'd lose out on that if you beat Lavos there, but that's the case with any of the New Game + endings anyway, and anyone who level-grinded THAT MUCH in their first playthrough would know well enough to look for that sort of information.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:59:30 am »
 "You've saved Zeal!!   Though for how long remains to be seen. (This is Zeal after all.)"

Sadly, Janus was cast into a gate during your battle, as Schala tells you upon your waking up in Zeal Palace. She starts crying...

Then, Prophet comes in with Queen Zeal. She's very quiet, and Prophet just comes in like an informant, very cold. "The Queen wants to say something. Well? Go ahead."

She's still quite a bit angry, and for a moment it seems she'll attack, but then she thanks you, oddly enough. The greatest lament, she expresses, is that in this tragedy, Janus was lost. Prophet responds "..."

"...wait a minute... what's the matter with you?"

Prophet: ...n-nothing. I'll tell you later.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 02:29:26 am »
As it turns out, the Meet the Staff ending is what goes on in Magus's head when you beat Lavos and wipe him from history. After he goes insane from being cast into the Darkness Beyond Time, anyway.

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 08:57:48 pm »
I actually like the idea of that. It would reward the players who put all the effort into grinding to beat it.

It just feels like a waste to beat the hardest incarnation of Lavos, only to find out that you get an ending that you are able to get right at the start of a NG+.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 09:06:44 pm »
Ending #14: "The Kingdom of Zeal lives and conquers the world forevermore."

Awesome. It would be even more awesome with some moral ambiguity tossed in, like seeing some familiar NPCs (maybe Doan) slaving away under Zealian guardianship in the future. The Dream Team ending is already accessible via the telepod portal in New Game +, so now I'm kind of mystified that a "Zeal timeline" ending wasn't implemented.

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 12:47:14 pm »
The actual ending could be called, "Zeal: A future of magic" or something like that.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 07:40:17 pm »
Zeal: The future that never was?

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 07:45:55 pm »
That kicks mine.

I really wanna see this ending now. Too bad it doesn't exist...

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 08:20:52 pm »
Ocean Palace: The ending that never was?