Author Topic: Time Traveler's Immunity  (Read 1600 times)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Time Traveler's Immunity
« on: May 16, 2005, 05:06:20 pm »
I got a question about Time Traveler's Immunity.  I understand that if a person goes back in time, and changes it so that the said person cannot exist, will still exist, because of Time Traveler's immunity.  Now, heres where my question comes at.  I'll give an example for it.

We have a person, PersonA, who lives in 1000ad, timelineA.  PersonA then travels back in time to do something (anything), and is protected from any changes due to his TTI.  That person then returns in to 1000ad, which is now timelineB.  He goes about his life, to, for example, 1005ad, timelineA.  Lets assume that one of the changes that resulted from him changes time allows for the creation of a new person, PersonB, who is created at a date after 1000ad.  This person then time travels backards to 1003ad, and murders PersonA.  Would the PersonA that existed in 1005ad still exist, due to TTI, in this scenario?  I'm thinking that PersonA would not still exist in 1005ad...

Zerokku

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sonicverseteam.com/skystudios/home.html
Time Traveler's Immunity
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 08:13:09 pm »
I'd have to agree with you, because from what I'v seen of the theories, a person is only protected from changes in his own timeline, But the change by person B, in this case, does not grant time travelers immunity for Person A. I think the immunity only works for an event, or set of events that are set in motion due to the respected persons time travel. But someone elses time travel will affect them.

Basically put, A time traveler is only protected from the events that they and thier companions set in motion.

Hopefully that made sense. Hard to put into words. =P

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Time Traveler's Immunity
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 01:38:24 am »
The way i understand it if a time traverler does somethign that significantly alters the timeline alters everyone in that timeline hence including other time travelers who are visting that period at the time. At least thats what i gleaned from the various articles on the main site.

so id B killed A that would wither impede the changes A made and create yet another timeline or Create another timeline where A lives regardless. Zeal needs to whiegh in on this. i think

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
Time Traveler's Immunity
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 02:23:24 am »
I think you guys have the right idea. It seems to me that it doesn't matter how person B came into existence.

The murder of 1003AD person A by person B causes the 1005AD person A to cease to exist because the 1005AD person A is in the affected timestream, and is therefore not granted Time Traveler's Immunity. By contrast, the change made by 1000AD person A in the past causes 1000AD person A to have TTI - in this instance only - because 1000AD person A is outside of the affected timestream when the change occurs.

Hope this makes a semblance of sense.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Time Traveler's Immunity
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 04:58:44 am »
My definition of time traveller immunity is: once an entity time travels, that version of the entity will appear at its destination regardless of any changes to the timeline.

Based on how time travel works, I do not think TTI can only apply to time travellers' own actions.  Every instance of time travel creates a new time-line, and the original time-line is sent to the DBT.  The traveller's past world-line originates in the discarded timeline, so he has to cause-effect relationship to any new versions of the traveller in the new time-line.  Therefore, the experiences of the new version of the traveller do not affect the original.  The point of time travel represents a discontinuity in the traveller's world-line where the new version "ends" and the original "begins".

If only backwards time travel resulted in immunity, causality would be preserved, but I think that the story of Chrono Trigger requires TTI for all instances of time/dimensional travel.

For example: during the fall of Zeal, the new version of Janus doesn't see any of the events of the Ocean Palace.  If the original version of Janus wasn't preserved, Janus may not have sought vengeance against Lavos (who he didn't even see), and the Mystic war would have transpired differently.

There is also the fact that Melchior doesn't seem to remember the time travellers' presence in Zeal.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Time Traveler's Immunity
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 02:44:59 pm »
Person A would be dead. Since the killing is done after person A is finished time traveling then there shouldn't be any more immunity. Also since person B is from timeline B there is no prevention of anything person A did in his/her time traveling. So yea, I agree.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Time Traveler's Immunity
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 05:56:51 pm »
Okay guys, thanks for helping me clear that up :)