Author Topic: Backing up Chrono Trigger save data  (Read 534 times)

75th Trombone

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Backing up Chrono Trigger save data
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:55:21 pm »
Hi, all; I'm a newbie, so go easy.

I have an original Chrono Trigger SNES cart that I spent dozens (maybe hundreds) of hours New Game+ing until I got everyone (except Magus) to level **. I want to back that up to a computer so I can use it in an emulator (and maybe someday get Magus to level ** :)  ).

I know this isn't an emulation forum, but I thought I'd ask here since here would be the experts on any idiosyncrasies of the Chrono Trigger cartridge specs.

Anyone know anything? Or, alternately, can anyone recommend a good emulation forum where they won't give newbies false instructions that waste their time or erase their data?

Thanks!
SFT

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Backing up Chrono Trigger save data
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:01:51 am »
The first thing you need is a really big magnet.

Just kidding. I don't think anyone here can help you. It's still shaky ground since the CnD.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 02:21:22 am »
Something like this would probably be fine to discuss, since it's a question of how to backup one's own work from a legitimately purchased hard copy. If Square Enix denied the fanbase even that capability, then that's really mean.

Something like this would probably be fine to discuss, since it's a question of how to backup one's own work from a legitimately purchased hard copy. If Square Enix denied the fanbase even that capability, then that's really mean. It's a matter of information preservation, which is a completely legitimate human interest.

I mean, can you imagine one Cro-Magnon creating the first written word detailing a hunting process, and when the next Cro-Magnon tries to write that down and carry it to his place, the author waves a prehistoric C&D in the other cavedude's face, saying, "Nuh-uh-uh, copyright infringement!" The end result could have been extinction of the human species. Okay, that's an extreme example, and preserving one's videogame data may not be all that important to future evolution, but still...

Anyway, my guess is a ROM dumping utility would almost have to be involved to transfer the SRAM (SaveRAM) data to your hard drive. Might someone at Zophar be able to help, maybe?

My guess is a ROM dumping utility would almost have to be involved to transfer the SRAM (SaveRAM) data to your hard drive. Might someone at Zophar be able to help, maybe?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:26:05 am by FaustWolf »

KillaGouge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:10:37 am »
Go Here

This guy built a USB adapter adapter for the SNES carts, you can't buy one yet, or find out how to build one yet, but here soon.