Poll

How did you first learn about Chrono Cross?

Read about it in a gaming magazine
4 (12.1%)
Read about it on the internet
10 (30.3%)
Heard about it from a friend
12 (36.4%)
Saw it in a store
3 (9.1%)
Other
1 (3%)
Don't remember
3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: May 14, 2005, 12:51:54 pm

Author Topic: 5/21/05 - How did you first learn about Chrono Cross?  (Read 3985 times)

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
5/21/05 - How did you first learn about Chrono Cross?
« on: May 14, 2005, 12:51:54 pm »
See, if I do things that can be applied to each game separately, I only have to think of half as many polls.

Me, I read about it on IcyBrian's site.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 03:24:20 pm »
Now HERE is an interesting one. I had just finished playing Chrono Trigger in the summer of '02. I greatly lamented that the story had come to completion and that there were no more tales of it: like finishing a book and finding that nothing more was written on the world.
However, in looking at some reviews on Chrono Trigger, on IGN I think, I happened to see the person mention how Chrono Trigger was made before the 'masterful Cross' or something to that effect, and I at once thought, what is this? Looking around some more, I came upon Chrono Cross, and I was extatic that they had actually made another game in the series. Unfortunately, by that time it was a little hard to find here: I had my friend rent it and burn it from Blockbuster, and played it on his modded PSX. I've since found it and bought it, however, so can now play it on my PS2.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 05:20:23 pm »
One day a friend told me, "Hey, a sequal to Chrono Trigger has been released."  I didn't get it, as I had just recently gotten a PSX, and was trying to complete either FF7 or FF9 at the time, and when I heard it wasn't about Crono, I refused to play it for the longest time till my brother got it.  Its a good game, but I would have prefered Chrono Trigger 2 :)

AlphaAzn

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 09:30:34 pm »
I found Chrono Cross around the time it came out. It sounded like a good game so I played it and understood nothing really until I played Chrono Trigger about a year later.

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 12:57:05 am »
Wow.... I honestly have no earthly idea how I heard of CC.  First thing I really remember about it was buying it in 01, 02, when I bought a PSOne, along with FF VII and FF VIII.

That's gonna bug me now...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 10:17:34 am »
I learned about it from a friend who read about it on the internet. It was in its early development or something, and my friend thought (for some baseless reason) that it was gonna be called Time Cross. I think it's a pretty cool name, but it would probably have appeared even less close to CT for some people if there was no "Chrono" in the title of the game.

Foolish Boy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 09:56:16 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
One day a friend told me, "Hey, a sequal to Chrono Trigger has been released."  I didn't get it, as I had just recently gotten a PSX, and was trying to complete either FF7 or FF9 at the time, and when I heard it wasn't about Crono, I refused to play it for the longest time till my brother got it.  Its a good game, but I would have prefered Chrono Trigger 2 :)

Yeah I wished it was Chrono Trigger 2 also. But I'm appreciating it more and more for what it is. But then again, alot of people who played Cross didn't know there was a Trigger, so...if it was a direct sequel to Trigger, Square may have lost alot of money. I still would have liked to see what a direct sequel would've turned out like though.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 11:02:39 pm »
I curious, how well did CC sell in the US?

Foolish Boy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 06:19:05 pm »
While Chrono Cross faired well in Japan (sales of 800,000 copies), the game only managed to sell 590,000 copies in the US.

This is according to rpgfan.com. I always thought Cross did better in the US than in Japan. I guess not though.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 03:15:56 am »
i heard about it from somewhere about 1998...my bro might have told me about a sequel to CT but i got no idea how i found out it was called chrono cross

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 02:54:57 pm »
Quote from: Foolish Boy
While Chrono Cross faired well in Japan (sales of 800,000 copies), the game only managed to sell 590,000 copies in the US.

This is according to rpgfan.com. I always thought Cross did better in the US than in Japan. I guess not though.

Same here, I remember seeing an article about it somewhere.

As for how I learned about Cross, I only knew about the game a year ago. I find it funny I have owned a copy of Chrono Trigger since it was released in America but I had never heard of a sequel until I started frequenting forums. At first I was completely against playing it, good old power of the Fanboy. But eventually I came to my senses, and I bought it a couple of months ago. It's no Trigger, but I still love it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 06:39:14 pm »
A while before it came out probably...Rumors were abound even before that though (much is the case now with "Kurono Brake")...People wanted more Chrono...It was only a matter of time (about 4-5 years depending if you count RD)...

I don't think it did very well...The Final Fantasy series was just picking up fans from the newest couple of Sony PSX FFs...and well, even now, a lot of newer RPGamers don't stray much further than the FFs...

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 09:43:06 pm »
Yea, which is unfortunate.  The FF series is great and all, but thats not worth it if it comes at the expense of other RPG franchises.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 07:37:18 am »
aint it the truth

BlueThunder

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 07:42:11 pm »
A friend told me