Author Topic: Strange Charity Work  (Read 573 times)

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
Strange Charity Work
« on: July 23, 2009, 02:53:44 pm »
Charity is charity, I know that, but I don't understand how doing tasks makes money rather than the people just being decent enough to donate. What's watching a bunch of people running going to do to change your mind?

One second you think "I'm not giving away my hard earned money to starving kids their parents screwed up!" Next they decide "Oh! These people are running for them! That changes everything!" The fuck?

Maybe if the people in need actually did it it'd make sense but otherwise it just seems bizzare. And most recently I've heard of something even more bizzare. It's already a pretty crazy sounding job to be paid for playing video games but now I've heard of VIDEO GAMES FOR CHARITY! WATCH PEOPLE PLAY ALL THE FINAL FANTASY GAMES FOR DONATIONS! Now that makes even less sense to me... Seeing the people in their crappy lives doesn't make you want to help them, but seeing a group of guys playing all the Final fantasy games will?

It makes as much sense as those Sarah McLa-I can't remember how to spell it! So normally you wouldn't help an abused animal but because you see someone famous sponsering it now you will? You think you'll be like these people because you're doing what they do? If you're gonna donate, do it right damn it. Do it because you want to help. You shouldn't even have to see some odd ritual to change your mind about being decent, if even for just 5 seconds. You should be able to just do it!

I'm not complaining that this is wrong, if it's helping people who got screwed over, good. But, why is it we need to see activities that have nothing to do with those people in order to decide to donate money and help them?

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Charity Work
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:29:12 pm »
The way I see it, most people don't like to 'just' give away money.  People who participate in 24-hour relays and other task related events are practically 'working' for the donation money.  The participants are 'working' on behalf of the donees.  'Just' giving away money sounds like giving a 'hand out', a phrase and action that is well stigmatized in the US.

They also foster a sense of community, are funner and are more social than just going door to door, calling over the phone etc.  People like to get out, get together and do stuff.  A lot of them have food and drink donated as well, which in turn lures more people to the event.

Though one thing that does piss me off is the act of receiving a trinket for donating.  Braclets, stickers, pins etc  It's like a badge to let people know "I am wearing a braclet.  I donated.  I am a good, decent person."  How about you just donate and leave it at that, knowing in your heart that at the very least, you did something.  While no doubt relatively small, the amount of money that could go to whatever the cause may be, I am sure adds up quick.  If you want a 'badge of honour', go help with something tangible, like helping with a house or cleaning up the neighbourhood etc.  At least then you can say "I helped build that house"  instead of walking around, head held high because of some cheap trinket pinned to your chest.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 03:35:58 pm by placidchap »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Charity Work
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 04:14:18 pm »
People are more productive when they have occasion. It's a good question: Why bother "racing for the cure" when you can just give money and not have the race? It's because people will give more money when there's a race. That's just the way we are. The tokens or gifts you get for donating to charity are not truly that; they are incentives. People offer them because it gets results.

Homo sapiens strikes again.