Author Topic: Another Look at CC's 2nd Moon  (Read 9269 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Another Look at CC's 2nd Moon
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:59:35 pm »
I have a theory about the second moon in Chrono Cross that I think has yet to be discussed.

Is it possible that the Dragonians (or more specifically the Dragon God) created the red moon while still in the Reptite Dimension?

Think about it; part of the Dragon God's usage was to terraform the planet (as demonstrated by FATE when creating El Nido). Is it too much to assume that it could also create a second moon?

If this were true, then what were its motives? Could having two moons somehow greatly benefit the Dragonian society? Could the moon's creation simply be a demonstration of power? Expanding upon the latter, were there not "exiles" in CT:DS? I believe it's unlikely that even the Dragonians were free from domestic conflicts/warring tribes.

Anyone care to add ideas/opinions?

MeshGearFox

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Another Look at CC's 2nd Moon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:32:40 pm »
IIRC, the second moon is Harle, because Harle is... the... moon Dragon, which necessitates the existence of the second moon. There's something in the script about it. So yeah, Dragonians made it or something.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:39:47 pm »
MeshGear, Harle is the Dark Moon Dragon, not the moon itself.

The second moon was brought to that dimension at the same time as Dinopolis, to act as a counter to Chronopolis.

As far as the Dragon God creating the dark moon, it is possible, but probably irrelevant. Of course, this is the Chrono Compendium, and more often than not you'll find SOMEONE who thinks that it is worth analyzing.

MeshGearFox

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:13:44 pm »
Er, right. I meant she's not the moon. It just sounds like her existance NECESSITATED the extra moon somehow.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:50:38 pm »
Just thought I'd throw an idea out there.

I've always been fascinated by CC's Dragonians, and the idea of the Dragon God terraforming / creating another moon came to me one day.

On a side note, anyone have any clue as to what the Dragonians look like? The best I've got is the mural painted on Fort Dragonia's floor.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:13 pm »
The Dragonians are the evolved form of reptites, so probably something resembling that.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:20:49 pm »
http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/1/12/Ctpsxreptite.png

I hope not. The PSX reptites were fat! :D

Judging from the mural, it looks like they could breathe fire and that their forearms developed into wings for flight. I find it surprising they went extinct; would have made a great side quest in CC to find one alive.

Random tidbits of information, I know, but I guess I'm one of those fanatics who find them important.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:41:23 pm »
In CT Lavos hitting the earth harkens to the real-world extinction of dinosaurs and the Chicxulub Crater event. I wonder if the second moon might likewise reference a real world event. Namely, the giant impact hypothesis, in which an extra-solar object rammed into the young earth and created the moon. In the Dragonian dimension, Lavos comes hurdling through space, grazes earth rather than producing a direct hit, and subsequently a second moon is formed.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:59:27 pm »
This theory is quite interesting. Yeah, in the dragonian dimension, it is likely that Lavos never fell. Also I heard some theory that Australia used to be the second moon before it crashed into the earth, though that sounded ridiculous to me.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:54:28 am »
It would explain why everything in Australia is not only able to, but probably will put forth notable effort to try and kill you. They'd all developed from foreign single-celled organisms, and therefore have managed to produce the deadliest creatures on Earth.

If only El Nido was made like that. It would explain some of the funnier creatures there.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 01:40:05 am »
Hadn't heard of that, UT. However, in trying to find out about it, I did find out about Lilith, the Dark Second Moon of Earth!

Aw, Manly Man, is this the face of the most venomous mammal on the planet?!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:53:00 am by Thought »

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:09:12 am »
For one, we're probably going to have a second moon within a few millennia, with all of the space junk that we have as a ring around Earth. Enough of it collides at high speeds and attaches, and soon, by cosmic standards, we would have another satellite, albeit artificial.

Also, I can't remember whether or not the shrew is as poisonous as the platypus, since the shrew had venom glands just above the salivary ones. But yeah, it makes perfect sense that all of the hostile and venomous creatures would be dumped in one place because of a foreign object from space.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 03:23:20 am »
Here's a crazy theory for you...

could Lavos be the red moon, observing the Reptite time line, since it transcends time?

It was "teleported" to the Another time line, and is a foreign power source for Harle's techs (who is personally somehow connected to it). What if Lavos had a hand in creating the Dragon God? It could explain a few things...

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 09:10:24 am »
I like the connection with the Lilith dark moon theory that Thought added. Harle is, afterall, a potential love interest of Serge. Harle=Lilith?

But Magus22's theory throws a whole new twist on things! Lavos as the moon? Certainly Lavos is large enough, and Azala referred to it as a "red star."

kamrom

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:41:52 am »
In CT Lavos hitting the earth harkens to the real-world extinction of dinosaurs and the Chicxulub Crater event. I wonder if the second moon might likewise reference a real world event. Namely, the giant impact hypothesis, in which an extra-solar object rammed into the young earth and created the moon. In the Dragonian dimension, Lavos comes hurdling through space, grazes earth rather than producing a direct hit, and subsequently a second moon is formed.

The problem with this is that the event that created our moon was likely *another planet* hitting into earth. grazing is unfortunately meaningless, since the gravity of both would pull them into each other if they got anywhere near that close. Also, this was ultra early primordial earth. It had oceans. There may have been life even, but we cant ever know.

That event didnt blast rock and earth into the sky, it *turned our planet into a ball of molten death*. That is what the moon spun out of. Everything that was on Pre-Earth was utterly annihilated. It wouldve had to have happend before 65,000,000 BC. For instance, in real life, the event that caused this took place about 4.5 billion years ago. Since the reptite dimension wouldve had the event happen at the same time, a mere 65 Million years in the past, it makes it very unlikely.