Author Topic: Finally Finished Chrono Cross  (Read 1929 times)

1stoftheLast

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Finally Finished Chrono Cross
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:23:48 am »
As the topic title states, I beat Chrono Cross for the first time two nights ago.  I have to say, it was a very good game.  I just wished I hadn't spoiled most of the good stuff for myself prior to beating it.  It was a hard game to beat, and not because of difficult bosses. 

I first started playing it back in '05 I think on my computer with the help of an emulator.  I got to the dead sea and then puter went kaput.  After my hard drive failed I took a break and tried again in like '07 I think, this time on the PlayStation.  I got a little bit further and lost interest because I couldn't locate the dragon gods to get their blessing.  Then a dog used my memory card as a chew toy. 

Third times a charm I guess.  I made it all the way to the end of Terra Tower when my disc decided it was time to become unplayable.  I promptly facepalmed and eventually bought a new copy online.  When it finally got to my house I was ready to go!  I punched the USPS guy in the face and loaded the PS up.  Final boss was difficult because I was trying to do it the music way for my first time and I had to line up all the notes right.  Good thing my sister was on hand to help me discern which note went where.

I liked everything pretty much, although the plot is hard to follow 'cause they throw a few new factions at you.  The only compliant I really have is that the ending after the final battle is a bit of a letdown.  I guess everything got explained that needed before the final boss... but still... oh well.  I highly recommend this game to anyone who claims to love RPG's.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Re: Finally Finished Chrono Cross
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:44:43 am »
Punched the UPS guy in the face?  WTF?  Haha!

Thanks for the review.  I've been meaning to finally get around to playing it forever, and I was about to pirate the disc images.  Knowing my luck with that sort of thing either the CD's wouldn't work, or I'd get my internet turned off.  Time to look for used copies on Amazon.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 04:59:15 pm »
Congratulations! Chrono Cross is a gem, in its own right. So are you planning on doing a couple more playthroughs, or is that a bit much to ask for, given how often the game breaks?

1stoftheLast

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:53:36 am »
I think I'm going to try for the developers ending.  And then I might do a full reup just to get all the characters and beat a few optional bosses, no hurry though.  I watched a lot of the alternate endings and they were funny as hell.

Spoilers, I wanted to make a few comments about the game.  I liked the spiritual successor characters; ie Glenn, Luccia (though I didn't use her) Guile etc.  What the hell was Dark Serge's motivation with all the terrorizing?  I loved how he had a lot of face time in the alt. endings.  If the freaking Shaker Brothers could make the Dragoon cut how is Glenn not like a First Lieutenant or something.  Marcy is a kid for godsakes, how quickly did she work up the dragoon ranks to become a Deva?

Lastly, how come out of all the beautiful women in the game, many of whom are salivating over Serge, that I get stuck with Dumpy McHousewife?  I'm the arbiter of time dammit!

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:45:54 am »
Yeah, when I get worked about a certain aspect of the Chrono series, I just repeat this mantra in my head:

Blame Kato. :p

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:54:29 am »
Lastly, how come out of all the beautiful women in the game, many of whom are salivating over Serge, that I get stuck with Dumpy McHousewife?  I'm the arbiter of time dammit!

Serge is also 17 years old and most of the women are probably in their 20's. Can you say "cradle robbing?"

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 10:05:49 am »

Dumpy...Macha?

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:09:21 pm »
He's more than likely referring to Leena, Onslaught.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 02:21:38 pm »
I thought she was decent.
I mean the name Dumpy kinda not fitting for her.
I'm pissed you dumped me because I was killed by a demon panther almost 10 years ago.
THAT complaint I don't understand.
Now what I can agree upon is that she's certainly nagging and bitchy.
Risk your life to get me a necklace.

And you're sure that's the only girl you got in your party? If so, then there are plenty of sidequests left my friend.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:00:24 pm »
He's probably referring to the ending, where he ends up with no memory of his journey on Opassa Beach with her.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:20:01 pm »
If it is that still doesn't make sense. It's explained that you wind up with her at the end cause you got your memories wiped.

Or at least that's what you're led to believe.

THE TRUTH: Serge got hit by a bigass wave, flipped into a rock and passed out. Parallel universes? PAH! They don't exist. Only time travel does! THE GAME IS A LIE. :shock: :lol:

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 06:05:50 pm »
If it is that still doesn't make sense. It's explained that you wind up with her at the end cause you got your memories wiped.

Or at least that's what you're led to believe.

THE TRUTH: Serge got hit by a bigass wave, flipped into a rock and passed out. Parallel universes? PAH! They don't exist. Only time travel does! THE GAME IS A LIE. :shock: :lol:

Does that mean the cake is the truth?

*gets shot*

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 09:39:05 pm »
Leena is a bitchy douchebag...One saving grace is that the one in your party isn't the nagging whore Serge likes probably because she's the only girl his age in his stupid fishing village...Personally, I would move to the mainland...Then again, Serge is an emotionless tool, so maybe they're perfect for one another...

Also, I don't see Luccia as one of the "spiritual successors" (I just call them throwbacks or something usually)...Her name is Lutianna in the Japanese...and the only similarities with Lucca is that she's a scientist and wears glasses. She uses neither Gun nor Hammer as Lucca does and actually, her branch of science seems different (she's more of a biologist/geneticist while Lucca is more of an engineer/programmer)...We are told they worked together, but I feel like that's more just the coincidence of there not being many scientists at all in the Chrono world...Especially since they're both from the mainland (and both have auspicious connections to Porre)...

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 09:54:45 pm »
In all fairness, you don't see much of Leena after the first 10-15 minutes of the game.

Getting stood up would piss me off too, though.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 09:56:23 pm »
Arni isn't all that big, you'd think someone would have seen him if he had 'ditched' her...But was she worried? Of course not because she's obviously a cock tease.