Author Topic: Fuck Sexism  (Read 97454 times)

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Sexism
« Reply #1155 on: December 28, 2011, 08:45:31 pm »
@Zeality: Rome did do that. Incidentally, that's why Christianity spread the way it did.

Rome did enforce policies against the Christians, but they were also exceptionally accommodating of the Jews-- incidentally, part of the reason that Christians were discriminated against.

They basically treated the Christians in a similar fashion to the more uppity mystery cults, because that's what they were acting like.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1156 on: December 28, 2011, 10:39:50 pm »
Rome had already "fallen" by the time of Mohammed too; I just wanted to address the "Christianity" aspect of it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 28, 2011, 10:49:12 pm »
Rome proper was still alive in the Byzantines. There's a great alternative history fiction (whose name escapes me) in which a lone Byzantine agent detected and assassinated Mohammed early on, averting Islam and allowing the Byzantine Empire to eventually reclaim the lost western empire.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 29, 2011, 04:52:45 am »
Really interesting book I just found; those interested in media may want to give it a whirl. It's on the dense side so far, but I'm finding the analysis rich! Here's a book review for a quick recap.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:19:00 am by FaustWolf »

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 29, 2011, 12:19:55 pm »
@Magus: I'll give you an example. A boy and a girl are friends. The boy starts feeling that his relationship with the girl could be more than friendship, and starts dropping hints or even going so far as to ask her out. The girl, either unaware or not interested, drops hints that she doesn't think of him that way, outright rejects him, etc., and usually says that she would like to "remain friends." When the boy knows that he will never have more than a platonic friendship with the girl, that is called being put in the "friend zone." A lot of "nice guys" complain about being "friendzoned" because they typically project their feelings onto the girl and think that they were being led on, and that her rejection was cruel and shallow.

Well I understand it now so that was an excellent example. Many thanks! Zeality is pissed because guys always seem to blame the girls for their reaction and for being the shallow one. I wonder if the reverse could happen as well... roles reversed and the guy rejects the girl, what would the girl say? hmm...

Of course, my example emphasizes the male side of things, but that's because I happen to be male and the incidence of this sort of thing tends to be more heavily male.

No doubt there are still some lady-Compendiumites around too. I would love to get both sides, just for my own benefit. On the side, I will never commit into a relationship. Why? The right one has not come along and will NEVER come along. I have accepted this fact, hell I have even tried to be like other people (which I can do), but after some time it just gets boring. Some of my friends lifestyles are interesting yet stupid. I just got to be myself. I also now work full time and I have no time nor interest now to pursue relationship. I see all of my friends on Facebook starting families or continuing with their "girlfriends" and I am happy for them, but I am honestly fine going solo in this life. I enjoy racking in some serious cash and when I come home from work every day I will watch a TNG or DS9, play a couple hours worth of games, and then hit the hay before the cycle repeats itself. I know it doesn't sound like much of a life, but there's nothing else to do but eat, sleep, and work...

sigh... there are times when I wish I was back in school or if I could just push a reset button to see the outcome of another choice that was available to me. With all of the knowledge that could be learned and paths available, how illogical it would be for those that are near their end to simply be extinguished without exploring these other mysteries that could have been discovered. Life after death? yea sure maybe... I am just not convinced yet... and if that makes me a bad person, I apologize. People say you need faith and to read the Bible or to get involved with a religion, but I honestly don't find that necessary.

Sorry for that off-topic rambling...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 29, 2011, 06:38:59 pm »
(A wild female Compendiumite appears!)

I wonder if the reverse could happen as well... roles reversed and the guy rejects the girl, what would the girl say? hmm...

No doubt there are still some lady-Compendiumites around too. I would love to get both sides, just for my own benefit.

I haven't been friendzoned, but I've done the friendzoning and I've had female friends who've been rejected.  Many of them react well, all things considered, but sometimes things get ugly and they blame other women.  Sounds weird, right?  Well, there's actually a trope for so-called "nice girls" who yearn after guys who always go after "the bitches".  It's basically internalized misogyny--women bemoaning the fact that all the "good guys" run after bitches instead of choosing them, the nice, sweet girl.  I think there's even a book out called Why Men Marry Bitches.

Women can't win.  If we reject a guy, we're a bitch.  If a guy rejects us, the girl he's going after instead is a bitch.

On being the "friendzoner"...it's really hard to have to do that to someone.  You don't want to hurt them, but if you don't set the record straight then it feels like you're just stringing them along.  Being rejected always sucks, but rejecting someone hurts too.

The problem a lot of girls have is that many guys interpret good friendship as "oh, she's into me".  It's incredibly frustrating.  I'm a very intense person when it comes to close friendships and I love having deep, meaningful conversations that last hours.  I'm not crushing on my friends; I just want to get to know them.  But a lot of guys seem to assume that deep conversations = crush.  Which isn't true at all!  I would even bring up my boyfriend in said conversations, or be completely up front and say "I'm not really looking to date anyone right now", and I would still get this reaction from a guy.  I mean...mentioning that you're taken or outright saying that you don't want to date anyone aren't hints.  They're anvil-sized absolute statements.

And yet when I've had to do the friendzoning, I've still received "But I thought you liked me!  What about all of those long conversations we had and all the things you wanted to know about me?!"  And then they stop being your friend because they think you're a bitch for rejecting them.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1161 on: December 29, 2011, 09:19:31 pm »
I wonder if the "long conversations" flag for males has anything to do with the presumption that men are supposed to be closed off emotionally. Like, we're supposed to hide or withhold our feelings, and so the thought of a girl wanting to 1) express herself and 2) try to get you to express yourself, triggers us to think that she's into us. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Hey tush, work your psychobabble and figure this out.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1162 on: December 30, 2011, 07:53:43 am »
Hey tush, work your psychobabble and figure this out.
I will. XD Though it might take a bit. I have some interesting info that may be of some use to you (and a bit of practical ones that might annoy some idealistic folks). Though it'll require me to sit straight for a while and type in thoughtfully. Rest assured, I will eventually.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:03 am »
Yes, it happens in the other direction, Magus. We're all human, after all, and we're all subject to the same complexities of human interrelationship.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #1164 on: January 01, 2012, 10:26:24 pm »
Quote from: NotAlwaysRelated
(A three-year-old boy is playing with some dolls at the day care center and separating them into families.)

Boy: “And this is the mommy, and this is the daughter, and this is the other mommy, and this is the son and the daughter, and this is the other mommy–”

Worker:
“Where are all the daddies?”

Boy: “They’re in jail.”

This sort of reminded me of the stupid car commercial, because it's dolls, but...seriously, what is this? I mean, it's not exactly...sexist...in the traditional sense...sort of? Well, whatever, it made me laugh and I thought it might get a rise outta you guys since it's something that ACTUALLY happened, as opposed to a contrived situation in a commercial.

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 06, 2012, 02:19:57 pm »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:43:44 pm by Synchronization »

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 07, 2012, 10:27:17 am »
Behind curtain number C is tushantin, the sexy bachelor with an eye for art  :lol:
 :picardno

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1167 on: January 07, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »
"Stranger #2, if I were a DS cartridge of Chrono Trigger, how would you play me?"

"All night long." *Applause and woo's* "And all the next day." *Sparser applause* "And probably obsessively for the next two weeks until I got all the endings." *crickets* "And then I'd probably move on to my PSN copy of Chrono Cross, because it's more aesthetically pleasing and the story is much deeper." *A lone audience member shouts "YEAH!"*

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #1168 on: January 10, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »
http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/15403040129/too-sexy-for-my-school-of-the-day-controversy-at

Discuss.

My two cents: If she wants to look, to quote, "provocative," a high school yearbook is prolly not the place to do it, but if they're allowing students to submit their own photos, then they should be prepared to deal with that sort of thing with a method other than NO YOU CAN'T IT'S TOO SEXY. Seriously, either have regulations in place ahead of time or allow the damn picture.
/two cents

Tactless

• Earthbound (+15)
  • left then came back twice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 10, 2012, 10:43:58 pm »
http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/15403040129/too-sexy-for-my-school-of-the-day-controversy-at

Discuss.

My two cents: If she wants to look, to quote, "provocative," a high school yearbook is prolly not the place to do it, but if they're allowing students to submit their own photos, then they should be prepared to deal with that sort of thing with a method other than NO YOU CAN'T IT'S TOO SEXY. Seriously, either have regulations in place ahead of time or allow the damn picture.
/two cents

I'm not so sure if this is an issue about sexism rather than censorship and sexuality, but either way I think the editor should loosen his definition of "respectable" a bit and consider that in 2012, the picture of that girl is hardly considered obscene or untasteful, especially by something as liberally-oriented as a student body. Ultimately the quality of the yearbook will be reflected in how many students purchase it, and frankly the vast majority of people would probably take more kindly to that idea with subtle sex appeal.