Author Topic: Fuck Sexism  (Read 97463 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Sexism
« Reply #945 on: July 09, 2010, 03:36:53 pm »
An interesting post regarding a potential new WoW policy that gives insight into the female gamer's world: http://www.metafilter.com/93492/But-my-name-really-is-Deathblood-Blackaxe#3171416

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: July 09, 2010, 04:18:16 pm »
Apparently they changed the policy after all the backlash and "at this time" won't require real names next to their forum posts.

That was an excellent comment.  Thank you for sharing, Thought.  I've never played an MMO (other than having one ex-boyfriend who played WoW make me a character), but from what I've heard from female friends who do play MMOs, that comment is spot-on.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:21:38 pm by Sajainta »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 09, 2010, 08:08:57 pm »
That's a worthy read. Thanks for the link, Thought.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 10, 2010, 12:48:44 am »
I'm not one for the gossip trade, but the news media have been atwitter this week about a report in a gossip magazine that Mel Gibson went on a career-destroying bigoted rant against his partner. Now that magazine has posted the audio of his rant on its website:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/07/world-exclusive-audio-mel-gibsons-explosive-racist-rant-listen-it-here

It's pretty nasty. This will probably end his career. His agency has dropped him, and he's looking at possible charges. As far as Mel Gibson goes, I can't say I'm sorry for him. This guy has done nothing but alienate himself as he has become more explicitly religious over the years. His anti-Semitic rant a few years ago turned many people off to him, and this ought to be the final straw for everyone with a lick of sense.

The one good thing in this is that the relationship is almost certainly over, and his partner will probably get some money out of him. That's no salve for the emotional turmoil of being with an abusive partner, but moving on helps, and money helps. Of course, the sad counterpoint to this is that way too many people continue to stay in relationships exactly like this one, and, even if they do get out, they are often left with no financial support whatsoever, except for what they can earn themselves or collect from charity organizations.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 10, 2010, 05:40:14 am »
That was absolutely despicable.  Ever since he spewed that anti-Semitic garbage, I haven't had any respect for him whatsoever.  The man deserves no respect.

You go out in public and it’s a f*cking embarrassment to me. You look like a f*cking bitch in heat. And if you get raped by a pack of ni**ers it will be your fault. Alright? Because you provoked it. You are provocatively dressed all the time with your fake boobs that you feel you have to show off.

I don't have words for that.  It is deplorable.  He is a racist, sexist, abusive, vile human being.  I hope she gains custody of the child.  No child deserves to be raised by someone that horrid.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #950 on: August 03, 2010, 01:00:09 pm »
Ah, we found our target.

Quote from: Mark Shuttleworth
Tribalism is when one group of people start to think people from another group are “wrong by default”. It’s the great-granddaddy of racism and sexism. And the most dangerous kind of tribalism is completely invisible: it has nothing to do with someone’s “birth tribe” and everything to do with their affiliations: where they work, which sports team they support, which linux distribution they love.

You can read the article here.
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/439
Admittedly this has nothing to do with sexism, but more on tribalism, but just thought it'd be philosophically relevant in a way.

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
  • Shadow, Sonic and Tails are FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 12, 2010, 04:10:14 pm »
Ookay...? Could of at least put a star on the f*ck

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 24, 2010, 03:02:22 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/16/AR2010081602839_2.html

"Women demand men have houses and cars, why can't men demand women be virgins?" asked one man on the Tianya site. "So, greedy women, remember, you have to protect your hymens, because those are big dowries for you to exchange for money."

Some men who were interviewed agreed about the importance of finding a virgin. "I really care about virginity," said Xia Yang, product manager for a technology company. "If you go to buy a cellphone, of course you'd want to buy a new cellphone. Who would spend the same amount of money to buy an old cellphone that's been used for two years?"

Give me an army.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 24, 2010, 03:12:28 am »
What the FUCK.  I absolutely LOVE being compared to objects and animals.  :x

Because after all, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

And now this.  I heard very similar things during boarding school.  It's such bullshit and it's so fucking degrading.

Just remember, fellow ladies, it's your hymen that counts for a potential husband.  Not your intellect, or your ambitions, or your personality.  Pssht, forget all that.  Just keep your legs firmly closed, so you can give your husband that "ultimate gift" when you marry him.  Because, obviously, a commitment to love someone for the rest of your life is obviously a LOT less important and less of a gift than your hymen remaining intact.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 24, 2010, 09:41:16 pm »
My sister is spending her first large amounts of time east of the West Coast, and she was complaining to me last night about how much worse, in relative terms, the sexism is in a place like Memphis than in our hometown in the Mojave Desert. I wish  could be made to travel, in their youthful adulthood, to other cultures and see just how different the sexism is. I have friends from college and more recently who were brought up in the South or Midwest and were very surprised to come to Seattle and experience how much more liberal and egalitarian the sexual climate is. And I have friends and family who've done the opposite, going to more sexist places for the first time and really understanding as never before just how serious the problem is.

And that's just in this country...

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #955 on: August 28, 2010, 04:24:22 am »
I love old books. I've been into Wuthering Heights recently. There have been a lot of feminist discourses on it. Mostly, I read the book for the lulz because OMFG it is all melodrama. I remember when Heathcliff's wife ran away because he treated her like shit. She died and had his kid and eventually the kid had to return to him and he was like "Your mother, that slut! How dare she not mention my name?" The feminist discourse is that Isabella, the wife, was feminist because she ran away from an abusive husband to raise her kid on her own, and this was really rare in those days. There are other discourses about other women in the book, but mostly I don't pay attention to analyzing Catherine because there is little to analyze- she is a completely psycho, over emotional bitch who dies from her own craziness.

On another note, what does everyone think of all these young girls maturing so early these days. Mostly, they've determined it's hormones from stuff the mom and girls eat. That is really sad : (. There are so many girls who have matured young and keep getting mistaken for older girls. I know that my neighbor's 11 year old looked like she was at least 15 to me at first. Then there is still the issue of parents allowing their daughters to dress like 18 year olds or just... really badly. For example, Heather Locklear's 12 year old. I can't find the picture right now because it was posted on facebook, but no 12 year old needs to be wearing tiny hotpants D:. She could easily be mistaken for a 16 year old or maybe older.

If I had a daughter, hopefully her dork genes will protect her, but I would not be a "feminist" parent because I wouldn't allow her to wear anything close to that until she was at least 18 :p. My parents never had any kind of problem with me because I wasn't that type, but other girls need a lot more restrictions.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 28, 2010, 05:29:40 am »
I recall that I absolutely detested Heathcliff. Didn't he hang a puppy out a window from a noose (I'm not shitting anyone, this actually happens in the book)? And it was his fiancee's puppy, and this was on their wedding night? The dude is just the cruelest, most rotten...I-don't-know-what. Emily Brontë really succeeded in making a Hell of a character right there. I've never felt such a powerful revulsion toward any other fictional character.

If Isabella were making a feminist statement she should either have divorced his ass right then and there or at least gotten even. Preferably with a katana, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies-style.

As for feminist parenting, I'm honestly not sure what I'd do in a parent's shoes when it comes to dress. I'd probably encourage a daughter to develop her own unique and kickass dress style and avoid conformism, but beyond that I'm really drawing a blank. It's a question worth thinking about though: can one be a feminist parent and yet set guidelines against skimpiness and that sort of thing? Should there be a magic switch that gets flipped at age 18 and not a second before or after? I'd love to read articles by parents who self-identify as feminists about their handling of this for curiosity's sake.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 05:31:50 am by FaustWolf »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #957 on: August 28, 2010, 11:48:23 am »
^ Um... actually I believe that was Hareton specifically.  Heathcliff usually didn't physically abuse, he was much, much more of a psychological and emotional abuser. Hareton's genes-- his father namely is actually much more sadistic than Heathcliff's. Actually, Hareton's father, Hindley's cruel sadism is one of the reasons Heathcliff is such a horrible individual.

I personally love Heathcliff. I certainly love him better than that dumb psycho bitch he obsessed over for all his life. I find Heathcliff rather like my one of my favorite literary characters, Snape. A bunch of cruel shit happened to him when he was young which he could never  get over. That and the love of his life was a psychowoman who literally drove herself so crazy that she died. Well technically it was from childbirth but... still. Heathcliff still wasn't done obsessing over her. He continued his quest for driving everyone around him to either craziness or misery because that was the only vindication he could have. I'm surprised that Heathcliff inspired this revulsion in you. I guess that I have experienced that with Catharine more. I really hate her >_>;. I mean, she was basically mentally ill most of her adult life which could be an excuse I suppose, and even before a selfish bitch, but she kind of was the driving force that really made Heathcliff live out the rest of his life doing everything in his power to make himself and others miserable.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 28, 2010, 06:32:53 pm »
Found the passage where Heathcliff hangs the poor little doggy, and given the overtones it's so fraught with, this is actually really interesting to be discussing in the Sexism thread.

I didn't remember enough of the story to comment much on Isabella's behavior from a feminist perspective, but judging from the passage here it seems this situation fits the "bad guy is irresistible to women" motif. I find myself wondering why she stayed in the relationship as long as she did, given the complete lack of emotional partnership - and furthermore, the outright vehemence - on Heathcliff's end of the deal. What, was he just an irresistible leather-jacket wearing stud or something?

Well, at least I can give Heathcliff credit for one thing: he was honest in letting her know he despised her. That she whould return to that kind of abuse as long as she did is a precisely unfeminist outcome in my mind. Then again, a nineteenth century reader would have been evaluating this at a time when relationships were way easier to get into than to leave.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:47:24 pm by FaustWolf »

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #959 on: August 28, 2010, 10:42:17 pm »
Oh well the passage I found was about Hareton hanging a puppy. So I guess that he took after both his sadistic father, and asshole guardian/master. I think that both of them hanging the puppies kind of sent her over the edge because she realized she had been thrown into a whole web of deceit and cruelty. She was just a pawn. I actually kind of admire her character because at least it doesn't sound like she went crazy, but really wanted a better life for her and her son. It's too bad that she died young and Heathcliff survived, so he could continue his scheming.