Poll

Do you like accents in CC?

Yes, it makes the characters unique to each other.
12 (20.3%)
Accents are necessary, but CC just didn't do it in correct way.
6 (10.2%)
Accents are necessary, but a few of them should be sufficient.
7 (11.9%)
Using different wording to distinguish characters is a better way.
11 (18.6%)
No at all, I prefer formal English.
2 (3.4%)
Literal translation only, plz
4 (6.8%)
Unique dialog>Unique dialect
17 (28.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Do you like accents in CC?  (Read 14662 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Do you like accents in CC?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 01:10:07 am »
Um, even if you've voted, you can change your vote...

Harle didn't even originally speak with a "French" accent and I don't care how many people think it suits her because her name is Harle (which is another thing that was changed) and she's a clown. It was a dumb non-reason to change it.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 01:17:32 am »
Changed my vote. Unique dialogue over unique dialect, FTW!

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 01:16:28 pm »
The first is in favor of the accents/dialects while the last clearly is not...I don't see the "uniqueness" of the accents as making the characters themselves really unique. It's WHAT you say, not HOW you say it that makes you truly unique.
This, this, this!

Really, using accents to differentiate characters just came off as lazy. I don't even want to think how much depth may have been lost due to this little feat. Just imagine how they would have differentiated any character without accents, like Harle for example. I can't even fathom how different she'd be if they'd given her more unique dialog, as opposed to a unique accent. We lost characterization for dialects and accents...

I wonder if there was a Chrono Cross re-translation in the works...

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 01:21:40 pm »
From what I understand, the Japanese version isn't all that better. Apparently, character lines tended to be rather generic over there too.

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 03:11:47 pm »
The french accent makes sense to me, as she is not a clown; she is a harlequin. Harlequins are European jesters, mainly found in France.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 05:44:01 pm »
I loved the accents and don't get why everyone complains about them, without the dialogue modification we wouldn't have had ZOAH THE MIGHTY.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 06:47:38 pm »
The french accent makes sense to me, as she is not a clown; she is a harlequin. Harlequins are European jesters, mainly found in France.

How many people would have connected her to 'harlequin' if they didn't change her accent to pseudo-French and changed her name to Harle?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 06:58:29 pm »
The original harlequin: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Harlekin_Columbine_Tivoli_Denmark.jpg/488px-Harlekin_Columbine_Tivoli_Denmark.jpg
Currently, the word harlequin is used to describe a jester in a play whose role is to distract the audience, or any fabric with that pattern. As Harle doesn't wear that pattern, and she serves purposes other than distracting an audience, I don't think she can be called a Harlequin.

Anyway, I can't stand Harle, mainly because of her accent (and also because she ran off with my best elements and armor). She probably would have been one of my favourite characters if she had unique dialogue instead of a horrid accent.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 08:07:29 pm »
With most of the accents I think it kind of adds to the character.  Not necessary, but a bit entertaining.  With a few exceptions.  I would give a lot to have Poshul talk normally.  And Pip gets annoying to me.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 09:36:02 pm »
Anyway, I can't stand Harle, mainly because of her accent (and also because she ran off with my best elements and armor). She probably would have been one of my favourite characters if she had unique dialogue instead of a horrid accent.

None of the 6 dragons has a French accent. :lol: I wonder why the localization team gave her a French accent.
I noticed the Ultimania states her class as "宮廷道化師"(court jester), according to the wiki, she's a Jester, like what is said in the English version. http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%81%93%E5%8C%96%E5%B8%AB

Quote from: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Harle.html

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 02:16:25 am »
Harle didn't even originally speak with a "French" accent and I don't care how many people think it suits her because her name is Harle (which is another thing that was changed) and she's a clown. It was a dumb non-reason to change it.

It suits her because I SAID SO!
=D

You cannot deny the accents.

Well, excluding Leah's, Mojo's and some other ones that are just plain stupid. (Dont tell me that Harle's accent fits in the stupid catagory.  You know what kind of "stupid" I am talking about!)

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 06:36:55 am »
Unique dialect add some life in the environment, not just an individual. Cohesive, and richness in social interaction, in term of massive variation though. In the bad side however, like most have covered, they lack depth of character. We can call that social gone wrong.
Regardless, I still think unique dialogue and more coherent dialogue should be what they have write. I like some of the accent, and some are annoying, but majority of them are neutral IMO.

I love the fact that Draggy got ''extended accent''. Dragggyyyy, it add some cuteness isn't it, just like his nature should be.
I also have no problem with Harle accent, just neutral. Her role and appearance in most of the scene are memorable, thus prevail her accent.

Although, I have some hard time with whoCHA did you refer?
Just go away to hell .......

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 09:20:06 am »
Actually I think Harle did a pretty good job, distracting the heroes from thinking of why exactly Lynx did what he did, not considering how maybe he's trying to stop something(cause c'mon, even bad guys are just people trying to do good, they just suck at it), like maybe dragons?

Besides, that's the original harlequin. Harlequin has come to more recognized as some sort of female jester. When appealing to the main public(how you'll make your sales)you gotta go with the most public version of something even if it isn't the truest meaning. I could've caught on to that.
In fact thanks to the Batman, I think it'd be easier for many people to recognize, what with Harley Quinn. Course, it'd be dead obvious if you gave Harle a Brooklyn accent. :P

But yeah, there are plenty of terms for Harlequin nowadays just as certain words originally had one meaning but overtime gained multiple meanings.
Harlequin is also disease, so if you want to compare her to the defenitions she could somehow be a disease to the team. Maybe it's just a name? You know like Solid Snake. That's his name but he isn't snakelike, and I don't see how solid would play in at all. Or Serge. His name is a form of water movement, but water isn't his thing.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 06:06:57 pm »
You're thinking of a surge (which was also the name of a pretty kickass drink that replaced Mountain Dew in popularity, here at least, for a while)...From what I see in muh dictionary, serge is a type of wool fabric. It says the name's word origin is from Seres, the Seres, an eastern Asian people...anyways, why give her a meaningless word when they could have just left it Tsukuyomi is beyond me.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 10:28:58 am »
Maybe they thought the Japanese name would scare people off? I dunno. Just a guess, no sarcasm. For some reason typing this I feel like it could be taken sarcastically.