Author Topic: Does Gaspar Age?  (Read 8154 times)

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
Re: Does Gaspar Age?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2010, 06:12:27 pm »
Well... the thing about the free radicals is that, they are in the oxygen. The only way Gaspar is not releasing free radicals into his body, is that:

A) He's not breathing, but there's a good piece of evidence that shows he breathes(remember the sleeping)

B) There's no oxygen in the End of Time, and somehow people can breathe without suffocation.

I know it's a game, and probably the dev team didn't thought this through, so chances are there is just not a clear answer. But aging is a by-product of breathing O2, completely outside of time. If you breathe, you age. According to the free radical theory, of course.

And don't be so concerned about breathing your life out, rather, enjoy it to the fullest!  :D

As I said earlier, I think there's a lot of beauty in that idea, that which gives life, takes it away at the same time.

It shows that we are all running in the circle of life, because "life" doesn't have antonym. Death is the opposite of Birth, not of living. I believe just an ecosystem, the universe is a big cell and has it's own cyclic process, think about it, the earth has it's own process for healing itself. Just like the cells and the more complex organisms. Thus life is a wheel, we born, we live and then we die, by the same hand. It teaches us about balance.

Even proteins are harmful to the human body in extreme amounts, life is all about balance. Remember that life must be bittersweet, you can appreciate your moments of happiness because you know of sadness. Thus, life is beautiful, only because it ends.

But... I have rambled too much again. Suffice to say that, even though Gaspar in theory should age, perhaps he doesn't, for whatever reasons the devs thought, and frankly, because I don't think they really thought that much of it. We, as fans, are in charge of dissecting everything in the things we love, not the creators themselves.

Just my thoughts on the matter, of course.

tuxedojacob

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 06:41:00 pm »
Nope, he looks like the same age as the first time I saw him in 1995.

Seriously though, I wouldn't think so.  Time has ended at his point of existence, it doesn't go anymore, so I say no aging.

On a side note, I would love to spend a day in the End of Time.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2010, 08:12:37 pm »
Actually, even if 'time' didn't passed, the body would still age. Time is just a measurement, after all. If 'time' had truly ended, he would have been in a frozen-like state.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 05:51:57 pm »
It's the HP/MP crystal. It keeps him young. Do I get a No Prize?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2010, 07:29:54 pm »

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »
I wouldn't read the end of time literally, like... the end of time, no more seconds allowed!

Bur rather as the "farthest reaches of time", where things end up when space-time continuum bugs. That's right, it's the freaking blue screen of time.

The way I see it, time is like a fish tank. The End of Time is outside of time, just like a person would be outside of a fish tank. The gates are places where you can enter to affect the world, and you can view events from outside the fish tank, but if rocks move or that water gets stale, it will not affect you, because you are outside of it. It is a separate dimension linked to, but not a part of, the central timeline of Chrono Trigger.

Just as we would not get wet as long as we are simply viewing the fish tank, Gaspar (as well as Crono & co.) will not age as long as they are at the End of Time. It's an anomoly. However, should Gaspar or Crono re-enter the timeline, they'll be wet just like all the other fishies.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:51:03 pm by deviant_ambition »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2010, 05:36:02 pm »
If time isn't passing, then events couldn't follow each other. There would be several Crono & Co's walking around there, for example. Time must exist there for it to be understandable, therefore Gaspar much age.

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 05:45:44 pm »
I just had a thought... 8)

If time flows normally in the End of Time (as it does in the other time periods), Gaspar would be subject to time and all of its restrictions just like any other citizen of any other age. He is the only person (who doesn't join our time-travelling band of misfits) who is aware of what Crono & co. are up to. If he were subject to time, he would see the timeline as if things were as they always were. Mystics (after Crono defeats Magus) have no idea that just a moment ago they were worshiping Magus and now for some reason have an Ozzie statue. Gaspar wouldn't be able to help them and give them advice based on what they should do or have done in the timeline.

idioticidioms

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2010, 07:16:15 am »
Gaspar does age. Nowhere does it ever say that the End of Time is without a time line. Nowhere does it say exactly how long Gaspar is actually standing there. From his departure from Zeal via Lavos' awakening to Lavos' defeat in 1999 or wherever you choose to defeat him, could have taken only a day of Gaspar's life, when you think about it. You have to keep in mind that time outside of the End of Time moves at a different pace than within. This is forgotten in large part because throughout all other era's of time, time moves equally and at a forward pace.

They have set no such guidelines on the End of Time, though it's obvious that it, too, moves forward instead of bouncing around erratically. The End of Time is outside the normal flow of time, yet still keeps its own time clock. I'd say that it gained a time line about the same time that it gained a creature that existed within time, as there would exist a stasis before then where time was not marked or noticed, and therefore could not have been proven.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 11:02:15 am »
I think shock is stop is to cam older...
or something that...

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
  • Shadow, Sonic and Tails are FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »
I think that Gaspar does age, because he looks COMPLETELY different from hes Orginal Self he looked taller but in The End of Time he looks Smaller  :kz

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2011, 08:48:13 am »
The End of Time is a strange place.  There is a physical reality, but no world outside its narrow confines.  Time flows there, and yet has no real meaning.  This is one of those cases where attempting to a define a thing may be impossible.  The End of Time is eternally wedged between one moment and the next - every possible moment, in fact.  That is why you can access many different moments from that place.  The regular laws of the universe don't really apply here.  So my opinion is that people in The End of Time don't age until they leave that domain - even though they can sense causality while there.  What's wrong with a bit of mystery?