Author Topic: Does Gaspar Age?  (Read 8156 times)

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Does Gaspar Age?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2009, 10:32:03 pm »
If time didn't flow there, Crono's team would have been frozen in place the moment they arrived.

Keep in mind that there is an instance of time freeze and that doesn't keep the team with interacting with the environment.  However, there could be a bit of truth to this notion in how Gaspar doesn't seem to move from post.  Though what time flow there is is probably much slower compared to the rest of the time line.  In regards to the aging process on Gaspar, its probably diminished (or at least the physical effects of it) without the presence of a sun.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 10:51:01 pm »
However, there could be a bit of truth to this notion in how Gaspar doesn't seem to move from post. 

Actually, Gaspar can move, just like how he would jump out of the gate along with the party in the ending where you didn't revived Crono.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2009, 01:31:57 am »
Maybe at the End of Time is like trying to reach perfect zero temperature. Physically unattainable, but conceptually necessary.

Also, I wonder if time doesn't flow at all, but the characters (being human or human-made) all have a set perception of said time, which makes it seem like they're not stuck in one spot for all of eternity. It just makes the aeons they spend there seem like a few seconds..

radicalblues

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Guardian (+100)
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 05:39:25 am »
I wouldn't read the end of time literally, like... the end of time, no more seconds allowed!

Bur rather as the "farthest reaches of time", where things end up when space-time continuum bugs. That's right, it's the freaking blue screen of time.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 12:24:17 pm »

I believe you mean "Absolute Zero", Mr. Bekkler.

Also, IMHO, I think the "End of Time" isn't the best title to describe Gaspar's location.  I mean, technically, if time came to an end (which has yet to be theoretically possible, let alone demonstrated) at this point in the timeline, how would anybody from that standpoint be able to witness all the events that take place in the timeline preceding him or her? It's not like Gaspar has a boom of video monitors that record and archive all the events in the game that took place before him.  Only Spekkio seems to have that ability, but he's only useful to the extent of magic practice.

Maybe I'm just being selective about it, but if the "End of Time" is the best title to give this place, then I defy anyone to come up with a better title.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 06:42:54 pm »
'The Farthest Reaches of Time'? That is the Japanese name.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 12:58:53 pm »

I believe you mean "Absolute Zero", Mr. Bekkler.

Yeah, that's it!

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 04:05:36 am »
Maybe I'm just being selective about it, but if the "End of Time" is the best title to give this place, then I defy anyone to come up with a better title.

well, most of our perception and reckoning of time is through astronomical figures.  If no such bodies exist there, then it still seems fitting to represent it as an 'end of time'.  Time's been compared to, and shared terminology with, rivers, but I don't think the 'mouth of time' would be an improvement.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 01:17:32 am by Xenterex »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 09:23:12 am »
I had a highly speculative theory that the End of Time / Farthest Reaches of Time was after the Universe had ended and would be "recycling" into a second Universe.  Of course, no in-game dialogue pushes me in that direction.  Just a thought.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 05:56:13 pm »

Xenterex, I think you mean astronomical figures.  Astrology is the pseudo-scientific means of finding out who you are through the position of the stars in relations to your birth planet.

Also, seeing how time is a dimension, but has no tangible existence (except through our measurements of it via calculated devices), then it stands to reason that time cannot possible have an end. 

If it did, then it can be concluded  that time had to have a beginning.  Yet, there doesn't seem to be such a place in the CT timeline.  I can attribute the theoretical "Beginning of Time" not being in the game scenarios through this ladder of logic:

1. There is an End of Time.
2. Everything that has an end must have a beginning.
3. Therefore, there must be a Beginning of Time.
4. However, CT shows that Premise 3 is False.
5. Premise 4 invalidates Premise 2, which invalidates Premise 1.
6. Therefore, in order to make Premises 1, 2, and 3 true, the developers saw a "Beginning of Time" as redundant to the overall plot of the game.

I hope I did it right.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 08:21:31 pm »

Xenterex, I think you mean astronomical figures.  Astrology is the pseudo-scientific means of finding out who you are through the position of the stars in relations to your birth planet.

Also, seeing how time is a dimension, but has no tangible existence (except through our measurements of it via calculated devices), then it stands to reason that time cannot possible have an end. 

If it did, then it can be concluded  that time had to have a beginning.  Yet, there doesn't seem to be such a place in the CT timeline.  I can attribute the theoretical "Beginning of Time" not being in the game scenarios through this ladder of logic:

1. There is an End of Time.
2. Everything that has an end must have a beginning.
3. Therefore, there must be a Beginning of Time.
4. However, CT shows that Premise 3 is False.
5. Premise 4 invalidates Premise 2, which invalidates Premise 1.
6. Therefore, in order to make Premises 1, 2, and 3 true, the developers saw a "Beginning of Time" as redundant to the overall plot of the game.

I hope I did it right.

Well, it's called End of Time. If time were a line, or a string, there would be two Ends to said string. Maybe the end of time is sort of a checkpoint in a cyclical timeline?

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 01:29:33 am »
yes i did, and that's been corrected. 

If I may ask, how does Ct show that there is no beginning?  I'm under the impression that it does imply that there is a beginning, but even regardless that location of that area is dubbed its name by Gaspar, and as human tradition, what the finding occupant tends to call a place, tends to stick.  As mentioned, it does have a tangible existence through our measurements of calculated devices, by which there aren't any at said location, therefore your 'logical points' are not necessary for the name, or influences by which the name came to be, of place known as 'the end of time'.

Also I could qualify your statement with time having no currently known tangible existence.  But, then again, said a qualification would also void your chain anyway and give purpose to the End signifying a Beginning.  Regardless, non of that probably has any impact on there being a 'beginning of time' because such a place doesn't effect the story or events of the game.  The beginnings, that is being plural, that do matter, are indeed there.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2009, 02:09:06 am »
We're off topic at this point.

But to simplify the whole "End of Time" thing, because I noticed someone trying to introduce String Theory, which I will not have in this community, I have an interesting idea. Say one of the time travelers in Chrono Trigger came to the End of Time with a watch... would that watch still work?

Think about it.

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2009, 02:11:01 am »
Oh, and one other thing.

The Christian God is said to exist on another plane outside of time wherein he can access any single second on our entire timeline. I know only certain points can be reached from the End of Time, but could this location be displaced outside of time itself?

Mirenately

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 12:11:23 pm »
would that watch still work?

And why wouldn't it? The whole principle of watch has, probably, nothing to do with time flow. It is just physics and mechanics (if we are talking about mechanic watch). Also, Robo definitely has a bios clock installed inside. I don't think that his basic hardware would differ much from what we have now...So that makes him a character with a watch. He didn't notice anything abnormal though...